PDA

View Full Version : A question

tealsmith1
11-04-2002, 12:15 PM
I know there are NO stupid questions, only stupid people asking questions. Seriously, I've bought the pintles and gudgeons (sp). And I'm wondering how does one keep the rudder from floating up out of the brackets? :confused: Lead in the rudder? Thanks in advance.

chesterm
11-04-2002, 12:19 PM
When you install the hardware, include a small swinging "L" shaped piece of hardware above the bottom pintle. Swings out of the way to get the rudder up and out and hangs down by garvity and keeps the rudder from floating up and out of the hung assembly. Don't know what this thingy is called but you have to have one.

regards, mitchell in CT

cs
11-04-2002, 12:20 PM
My pintle set had a little "L" shaped bracket that was fastned with a single screw. It could be rotated up and out of the way for installation and removal. When in place it was over the top of the pintle thus holding it in place.

As it is my transom is raked and thus my rudder don't float out.

Chad

tealsmith1
11-04-2002, 01:29 PM
That makes sense. Thanks for the information.

Ian McColgin
11-04-2002, 01:50 PM
But put it on the transom above where the upper pintle goes into the gudgeon (if you mount the pintles on the rudder) or visa versa . . .

By the way, it's best if the lower pintle is a bit longer than the upper so you can get it in first and not have to get them in together.

G'luck

Don Maurer
11-04-2002, 02:07 PM
I thought that was the purpose of the hole in the transom for the tiller.

Figment
11-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Most of the dinghies I raced in college retained the rudder by means of a 1" x 4" or so strip of metal screwed flat to the transom between the two gudgeons, with the bottom 3" bent or "sprung" out away from the transom. this has the effect of trapping the bottom pintle down into the gudgeon. To remove rudder, simply press the metal piece flat against the transom so the pintle can slide clear.

Just a backup if the swinging L-bracket method doesn't work out for you.

Shang
11-04-2002, 05:54 PM
"...Don't know what this thingy is called but you have to have one..."

Gronicle?