PDA

View Full Version : And then there was democratic elections

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 12:28 PM
In Palistine... late entry Hamas won by a landslide... democracy in action... what everyone wanted for the country what the west was encouraging and promoting... then Hamas won... peoples choice... democracy in action in the middle east

But now seems even thats not acceptable

Paul Pless
01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
The fallout from this, both internally and internationally, will certainly be interesting to follow.

Dolly Varden
01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
you cant alway get what you want
you cant always get what you want
you cant always get what you want
but if you try sometime
you just might find
ya get what you need

Dutch

PatCox
01-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Freedom is on the march.

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 12:51 PM
It will indeed be interesting to watch... since both Bush and Howard have come out condemning what they were both pushing for!... Free democratic elections for Palistine... the results didnt please either of them since its not what they wanted to see... ie: the people making THEIR choice!

Garrett Lowell
01-27-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm surprised that anybody (re: western governments) was surprised by the results. Fatah is one of the most corrupt, ineffective, plodding governments ever. Palestinians are no different from anyone else: they don't like to be duped by politicians. The corrupt were dumped in the hopes that the newbies are more effective. The interesting thing now is to see if Hamas is really dedicated to being a political force instead of a terrorist institution. I'm hopeful that Hamas seizes this chance to actually do something constructive.

Keith Wilson
01-27-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm hopeful that Hamas seizes this chance to actually do something constructive. I hope you're right; they seem to be somewhat honest and efficient (also rigid, ruthless and brutal, sometimes). It's not hard to be more honest and effecient than the Fatah government. The shock of actually being in charge may cause them to become more reasonable. OTOH they have a lot of young religious hotheads who may not put up with reasonableness. Interesting times.

Garrett Lowell
01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
True Keith; they've done a fairly good job at the municipal level lately, and now they have a constituency to keep them in check. Interesting indeed.

TomF
01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
A talking head I saw wondered if a big part of the vote results could simply be linked to the insecurity and lawlessness of daily life in the Palestinian authorities. Despite Fatah's best efforts, thugs with guns were pretty common and presented a big danger for the average person. OTOH, nobody has more "street cred" in enforcement and discipline than Hamas.