PDA

View Full Version : Hey, y'all.

bamamick
09-19-2004, 07:32 AM
We made it. My family is all safe and sound.

Had some windows knocked out of house and cars, lost one mast and picked up some nice scratches on one boat. The other boats, including all of my wooden boats, made it through fine. I personally consider the survival of the schooner as some kind of micracle. When we went down on Thursday morning it was still blowing about 50 knots but it was moving out of here. As we rounded the corner at the marina and could see the masts of the schooner sitting about where they should be my wife just burst into tears, bless her heart. Not a scratch on her (the boat, not my wife!).

Friday we were able to get to our property on Fish River, just south of Fairhope, Alabama. Another tearful moment. This is my wife's business office and our vacation home. A little 800 sq. foot cabin that we built with our own hands. The road was blocked by fallen trees and debris was everywhere. I counted over ten trees down of over 60 foot in length, two of which were laying against the house. Once again, the house itself was just fine.

We got the property in Spanish Fort cleaned up in two days with a chain saw, a tractor with a box blade, and a lot of raking. Fish River was another matter. I was working down there yesterday just hauling debris when I saw some folks walking down the road towards the house. A friend of mine had hired a crew to clean his property. When they finished he sent them to me. Pretty soon I had six strong young guys working with me. Soon another two friends showed up. The next thing that I knew another friend showed up with a brand new generator and had the cabin wired for 110 power. I was just speechless. Before we went home (we have a curfew at dark) we had all of the trees cut up and stacked and one entire acre completely cleaned off. I have over a half an acre of debris from a three acre piece of property! And I've still got a lot to do, but nowhere near as much as I did.

I have been so lucky in this thing. I just can not tell you the level of devastation of some of the people that I know. My wife's family in Atmore, Alabama lost their home, one car, a warehouse that they owned, and sustained major damage to their main business. People east and south of us in places like Pensacola and the beach towns lost not only their property, but in some cases their lives. They are having to use dogs to search through property now because there are many people missing.

Well, I've rambled enough. I just want to thank everyone for their kind wishes and especially for their prayers. It means a lot to me. It really does. Thank you.

Mickey Lake

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-19-2004, 07:42 AM
We were worried about you.
Thanks for letting us know you're OK. smile.gif

Joe (SoCal)
09-19-2004, 07:43 AM
Ya gotta love a survivor ;)
Thanks for checking in.

High C
09-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Wonderful news, Mick! :cool:

Mrleft8
09-19-2004, 08:13 AM
I was wondering how you made out. Glad to hear that all's well (In the greater scheme of things...) Now.... Has anyone heard from Roger Stouff?

Roger Stouff
09-19-2004, 08:17 AM
No problems here, Doug. We didn't even get much of a breeze and no rain. Kids got a couple days off school during the precautionary stage, that was it.

R

Bruce Hooke
09-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Glad to hear that you made it through in such good shape, Mickey.

My best wishes to those who didn't...

imported_Daniel
09-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Hey bam, glad to hear you are OK. smile.gif

Paul Pless
09-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Great to here some good news from the south.

JimD
09-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Good to hear from you

Paul Pless
09-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Jeff,

I've seen your reenactment photos. Your not fooling me for a minute with the 'had to hand grind my coffee' bit. My guess, would be that you loved the chance to leave the year 2004 behind for a while.

Paul

[ 09-19-2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

km gresham
09-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Good to hear y'all are ok. smile.gif

John B
09-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Glad to hear Mickey.

NormMessinger
09-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks for checking in. Good that alls well. But, I gotta warn you. If you don't start sharing some of that moisture you ain't gonna have grits to go with yer chitlins, atleast not from Nebraska corn.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-19-2004, 06:36 PM
good news... :cool:

Hughman
09-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Glad to hear from all y'all!

;)

bamamick
09-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Speaking of which: this year's pecan harvest looks bleak, with probably a third of the trees down, and almost all of the limbs bare. Peanuts and cotton were about ready to harvest.

Does anyone know, can you harvest the cotton when it's been through something like this? The bolls (or whatever you call the white stuff) look fine, but the leaves are stripped off of the plants. Heck, it may make things easier for all I know.

Maybe the peanuts and cotton will be fine. We didn't get torrential downpours, just wind. I'll see if I can find out.

Mickey Lake

[ 09-20-2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: bamamick ]

09-20-2004, 08:09 AM
There's enough corn for everybody in Ohio Norm. :D

Monster crops this year in one of the mildest summers anyone can remember. :cool:

NormMessinger
09-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Oh sure. Over produce and drive the price down for everybody.

Paul Pless
09-20-2004, 09:24 AM
can you harvest the cotton when it's been through somethin like this? Yes.

Its still a little early for the cotton harvest. And cotton is one of the hardiest of all the southern crops. Generally, before picking, cotton is sprayed with a defoliant so that it sheds its leaves. The main consideration for harvesting king cotton is that the boles must be dry.

09-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
Oh sure. Over produce and drive the price down for everybody.The down side is damn near everything grew well this year. :rolleyes:
Wore me and the mower out. tongue.gif
The leaves are gonna give me a heart attack. :mad:
Why just yesterday I raked 3 garbage cans full of Black Walnuts! :eek:
It's a mixed blessing for sure. :D