PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing Aids News In Florida

jwaldin
11-27-2004, 09:05 AM
United States
Over 40,000 new HIV infections are reported in the U.S. each year.

Florida Ranks third in nation in the number of persons living with HIV/AIDS.
Approximately 100,000 people, roughly 11% of the national total, currently live with HIV/AIDS in Florida.
Nearly half (45%) of all people living with AIDS in Florida reside in Miami-Dade and Broward counties. These same 2 counties also comprise 44% of the state’s HIV cases.
AIDS cases—cumulative 1997-December 2003:
Miami-Dade 27,540
Broward 14,921
Miami & Fort Lauderdale
Miami has one of the highest rates of HIV/AIDS in the nation, ranking second highest (after New York), HIV rates in Fort Lauderdale are the fifth highest in the nation.
An estimated 20-35% of Miami-Dade’s population is without health insurance.
Nearly one percent of the Miami-Dade population lives with HIV or AIDS.
MSM
Having unprotected sex with men remains a high risk factor. Of men with AIDS whose mode of exposure is identified, 57% in Miami and 62% in Fort Lauderdale are MSM.
Nationwide, MSM represent the largest proportion of new infections (42%), followed by heterosexuals (33%) and injection drug users (25%).
In the U.S., 82% of all AIDS cases are among men.
Women
AIDS is growing among women. In 1994, 23% of AIDS cases in Miami- Dade were among women. Now that figure has increased to 32%. In Broward County, women account for 25% of HIV cases.
Blacks/African Americans
AIDS is the leading cause of death for African American men and women ages 25-44, nationwide.
77% of AIDS cases among women in Miami-Dade are among African Americans. In Broward County, 78% of AIDS cases among women are among African Americans.
One in 46 Black/African Americans in Florida are infected with HIV.
81% of all pediatric AIDS cases in Florida are among African American children.
While Blacks compose only 19% of the population in Miami-Dade County, they account for 50% of AIDS cases. Similarly, in Broward, Blacks compose 20% of the population and 46% of AIDS cases.

Joe (SoCal)
11-27-2004, 09:16 AM
jwaldin Whaaaaaaaat Happened???
All your post went poof, we thought ya got Scot-ed

I even upset Dutch so much he hate me ;)

jwaldin
11-27-2004, 10:06 AM
I got an anonoymus message threatening me and my wife. I figured I should do what I was told and remove my recent threads and replys.
When I replied my email was bounced back.
Someone out there/here seems pretty serious about harming me and my wife.

Paul Pless
11-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Its only disturbing news if you are an intravenous drug user or are promiscuous and not practicing safe sex.

[ 11-27-2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

jwaldin
11-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Paul, What about a married woman who believes she is in a stable life log loving relationship? Should she insist on having 'safe sex' with her husband year after year? At some point the issue of trust would come up.
It is these women who are contracting Hiv?Aids.
One in eleven aids victims in Florida is a women over 50.

Paul Pless
11-27-2004, 11:55 AM
jwaldin,

Whether we want it to be or not, the AIDS issue in America is not a pure health care issue. Its also a political issue, and its a morality issue. I don't want to get into the discussion of the previous generation's (60's and 70's) sexual culture and norms; they are now irrelevant given that a deadly and incurable sexually transmitted disease did not exist during that time.

My problem with AIDS activism is twofold. One, while it is incurable disease, it is preventable, and two shouldn't we perhaps be spending our efforts and our money towards curing diseases that strike randomly and are not preventable, such as childhood leukemia, diabetes, other cancers, etc., etc.

BTW, the example you gave above is really an issue morals, isn't it?

Paul

alteran
11-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Jwaldin, I looked at the saltspring island chamber of commerce website and read a little about the island currency. Could you tell us a little about how that works in a new thread sometime?

As for aids,I live in a rural community where the common behaviors associateds with HIV are not common and in the rare cases the behavior does exist it is normally hidden, only revealed inadvertently by the persons death. This has resulted in some very difficult times for the community and parents of the afflicted. Some good has come from tragedy along with the bad. Some eyes have been opened. It has been and is a new chapter in the community history.

uncas
11-27-2004, 12:08 PM
jwadlin... I hope your post is not the case.
AIDS is an issue and it does cross lines. It is no longer a disease of one category or another..It effects everyone regardless as to the individual's orientation...
I agree with Paul in that this disease is preventable...but society as we know it has changed dramatically since the days of " free love " etc. It is political obviously. It could be classified as a moral issue but even our definition of morality has changed.
I do not agree with the idea that we should stop working on finding a cure for this disease...Nor do I feel that we should forget those diseases which have no visible means of prevention. This would include you list and a heck of a lot of others.
There is so much we don't know about any of the diseases which effect us today. The more research in one area may produce medical solutions to others.
Many of our drugs, that we take for granted, were developed and found to be wanting in curing a disease it was intended to..and then, someone realized that the drug developed helped others with different diseases. Heck, many drugs were discovered by mistake...
Ask Fleming or who ever is given the credit for penecillin.

Joe (SoCal)
11-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by jwaldin:
I got an anonymous message threatening me and my wife. I figured I should do what I was told and remove my recent threads and replies.
When I replied my email was bounced back.
Someone out there/here seems pretty serious about harming me and my wife.Are you serious THAT IS TOTALY UNCALLED FOR. Forward the offending email to Scot@woodenboat.com

I may not agree with much of what you post but threats like that have no place on a silly old WoodenBoat forum. :(

uncas
11-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Agreed Joe...We all have our differences.We should accept each other's differences. I am yelled at, chastized and called a variety of names...but, in the long run, I do not take them personally.Nor do I take other's positions as insults...These threads are not something people should fight over...except in the sense of disagreeing...I would hate to believe that someone out there would take...in my case, rantings, as personal...and believe me, I do have a tendency to rant.
Ask a few....

George.
11-27-2004, 01:52 PM
jwaldin, if you are serious, please take action. Forward to Scott and maybe to the proper law-enforcement authorities. Do NOT accpet that kind of censorship. I may not like much of what you post, but I defend your right to post it and leave it posted, as long as WB is happy with it.

Boomkin Joe
11-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Who's the governor in charge?

uncas
11-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Words of advice I would follow...Please note the author who specifically states that he is not always in total agreement with you but will support you to the hilt. I don't think he is the only one. Thank you George.

jwaldin
11-27-2004, 03:08 PM
It wasn't a PM. I'm doing what I can to find out who sent it. If and when I find out for sure and
I know I can and have 'crossed the line' at times. I get pretty wound up when I'm told I'm lying for instance. I have strong political views. I like to think I add something to this forum. I enjoy this forum and obviously don't want to be here just to make enemies. If I get 'to out there' please ask me to stop. Joe did that and my reaction was to take his advice.

uncas
11-27-2004, 03:13 PM
jwaldin...we all put our feet in our mouths sometimes...I can certainly put myself in your category as I have really rattled chains. Good luck...and may the guy..or gal who made these threats discover that hanging by some unmentionable parts learn to suffer accordingly.

[ 11-27-2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Meerkat
11-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Waldin; We've crossed swords at times, but don't look in my direction for this. While I think I can figure out how to create a fake/anonymous email, injecting that message into the email system is a horse of quite a different color these days and I don't know how to do that! Wasn't interested in the first place!

Joe (SoCal)
11-27-2004, 03:52 PM
jwaldin I respect the fact that I asked you kindly to tone down some of your more colorful photo threads and you were a gentleman about it. I see no reason anyone would threaten you in such a way, I'm sorry that anything said on this forum would have prompted such a malicious act. Take action and ferret the offender out if you can.

uncas
11-27-2004, 03:54 PM
I really do not think that this threat came from anyone on the forum...At least, I hope not...
I certainly would not be pointing any fingers at anyone...regardless as to how much an individual rants....
No one, in my books, needs to stand up and say it wasn't him...No fingers have been pointed.
I do think we should seriously consider this episode though and find ways to limit outside interference...This would entail a more comprehensive profile than what exists before being allowed to participate. Tel: numbers...e-mail addresses and home addresses ...these need not be made public but they should be on file. As it stands anyone with computer access can be on these forums.
Those who have the credentials and viable contacts would pass...those that don't well....
Just my thought...Shoot me...

Stiletto
11-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Forward the email to the FBI.

imported_Dutch
11-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Someone out there/here seems pretty serious about harming me and my wife. yeah. like the above poster said. call the fbi. im sure they have nothing better to do. meerkat had great luck with federal agents tracking down his cyber attacker earlier this year. just ask him.

its what the government investigative services are for. ( a great big mammary that we can cozy up to and suck on till we start to feel safe and warm)

John C. Gresham
11-28-2004, 12:15 AM
Forward the offending letter to scot, the ISP of the offender (the part after the @ is the ISP that the letter was sent from), and notify local law enforcement.