Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkrough
    • Aug 2002

Suckers!!!!!

Did you think we were in Iraq because Saddam had a hand in 9/11? Guess again!

ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday he had no reason to believe that Iraq's Saddam Hussein had a hand in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States.

At a Pentagon (news - web sites) news conference, Rumsfeld was asked about a poll that indicated nearly 70 percent of respondents believed the Iraqi leader probably was personally involved.

"I've not seen any indication that would lead me to believe that I could say that," Rumsfeld said.

He added: "We know he was giving $25,000 a family for anyone who would go out and kill innocent men, women and children. And we know of various other activities. But on that specific one, no, not to my knowledge."

The Bush administration has asserted that Saddam's government had links to al-Qaida, the terrorist network led by Osama bin Laden that masterminded the Sept. 11 attacks. And in various public statements over the past year or so administration officials have suggested close links.

Vice President Dick Cheney said on Sunday, for example, that success in stabilizing and democratizing Iraq would strike a major blow at the "the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault for many years, but most especially on 9-11."

And Tuesday, in an interview on ABC's "Nightline," White House national security adviser Condoleezza Rice said that one of the reasons President Bush (news - web sites) went to war against Saddam was because he posed a threat in "a region from which the 9-11 threat emerged."

In an appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press," Cheney was asked whether he was surprised that more than two-thirds of Americans in the Washington Post poll would express a belief that Iraq was behind the attacks.

"No, I think it's not surprising that people make that connection," he replied.

Rice, asked about the same poll numbers, said, "We have never claimed that Saddam Hussein had either direction or control of 9-11."

"What we have said," she added, "is that this is someone who supported terrorists, helped to train them, but most importantly that this is someone who, with his animus toward the United States, with his penchant for and capability to gain weapons of mass destruction, and his obvious willingness to use them, was a threat in this region that we were not prepared to tolerate."

Cheney said he recalled being asked about an Iraq connection to 9-11 shortly after the attacks, and he recalled saying he knew of no evidence at that point.

"Subsequent to that, we have learned a couple of things," he said. "We learned more and more that there was a relationship between Iraq and al-Qaida that stretched back through most of the decade of the '90s; that it involved training, for example, on BW (biological warfare) and CW (chemical warfare) — that al-Qaida sent personnel to Baghdad to get trained on the systems, and involved the Iraqis providing bomb-making expertise and advice to the al-Qaida organization."
  • LeeG
    • May 2002

OH MY GOD, THEY"VE BECOME LIBERALS!!!IS JOHN ASHCROFT THE ONLY PURE ONE LEFT?

Comment

• Mrleft8
      Banned
      • Feb 2000

Originally posted by LeeG:
      OH MY GOD, THEY"VE BECOME LIBERALS!!!IS JOHN ASHCROFT THE ONLY PURE ONE LEFT?
      Can you say"damage control"?

Comment

• stan v
        • Jul 2001

I see this lovefest needs a few facts. It wasn't because of any involvement with 9/11 that Damsad needed his a** kicked, it was his involvement with terrorism, as is being witnessed now in Iraq, that we went after him. Great place to start IMO. I know killing terrorists and their supporters is hard on the left, but you need to get used to this. Haven't heard of anyone else giving $25,000 to homicide bombers lately. Did hear about Saudi's and money though. These dictators will wake up soon once they know America won't crater under pressure from hand wringers. You're doing a fine job by the way.

Comment

• Eric Sea Frog
          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by stan v:
          It wasn't because of any involvement with 9/11 that Damsad needed his a** kicked, it was his involvement with terrorism, as is being witnessed now in Iraq, that we went after him.
          In Iraq? What terrorism, Stan? You're asking for facts.
          There has been terrorism since the war, for sure.
          But rather as a consequence of it, than a cause.
          Terrorism (i.e Iraqis shooting US soldiers) may now originate both in Damsad's guerilla troops continued fighting, and in religious conflicting factions.
          Was it a timely move, just when the world was facing a terrorist threat, to topple and disarm an antiterrorist dictator -however harsh he was- right in the middle of Middle East?
          Wouldn't Afghanistan, where Allies, under fire, are still having so much trouble eliminating Al Qaida, a priority?
          Or Pakistan, that sems to be helping Al Q. as much as fighting it?

Comment

• rkrough
            • Aug 2002

Nice shuffle Stan, You are better at spinning their agenda than the Bush folks are. Though I suspect that many folks will view " he needed his ass kicked" as a less than compelling reason to spend close to 160 billion dollars doing just that.

Looking at Yahoo news this morning this is the second story:
            Blix says Iraq probaly destroyed WMD's .

Comment

• stan v
              • Jul 2001

Leave it to the French to ask "what terrorism".

Comment

• stan v
                • Jul 2001

Blix has no more credibility than the French.

Comment

• Mrleft8
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2000

Blix has no more credibility than the French.
                  But a lot more credibility than the Texan.

Comment

• oldriverat

Subtle isn't it. We have an election coming up, remember?

Comment

• stan v
                      • Jul 2001

Ladies, there's nothing new in this article. We're going after those that support terrorism all over the world. In ways we may never know. Get over it. Terrorism is under attack.

Comment

• martin schulz
                        Museumharbour CEO
                        • Jan 2001

Ahh yes - by the way, since the discussions are more and more turning to:

- the Iraque-war was a war against terrorism
                        - the Iraque-war was a humanitarian war to get rid of Saddam Hussein
                        - the Iraque-war was about helping those poor Iraquis against their cruel dictator (who cared about them after Gulf war 1?).

and somehow inconspicuous to:
                        - Saddam tolaerated or even helped Al Quaida
                        - Saddam was somehow responsible for 9/11

I would like to post what I posted here in April:
                        Watching the news I get the feeling the question of the womds always follows the same pattern.
                        1. somebody hysterically points out that wmds in form of white powder, amunition in schools or some sort of missiles has been found
                        2. the media jumps at it with almost the same depth of information " from unconfirmed sources we have heard that...white powder, amunition in schools or some sort of missiles have been found
                        3. the war moves on, the media gets other things to chew on
                        4. it has been a week since the last womd-news. The last womd-discovery has neither be confirmed nor denied.
                        5. back to 1

But going though that pattern again and again everybody gets the feeling that there has to be something. This will go on for a while unless there will definetely be a confirmed finding, or the war is finally won, the discussion about building up Iraq gets into focus and people eventually don't care about those womds anymore.
                        ...by the way, where are the WOMD?

Everybody knew Saddam Hussein was a cruel dictator and everybody including me was glad he was disposed. But that alone was never a proper reason to invade a country, esspecially not when there is a history of tolerating or even installing dictators in the past. So there was the "proven" fact of being threatened by Iraqui WOMD presented to the world to rightfully start a war.

...and... were are the WOMD's?

Comment

• ahp
                          • Jan 2001

Indeed so Martin. Our fearless leader had a great itch to be a war leader. He could barely hid his contempt for the UN when they asked for more time in their search for WMD's. Now we have over 100,000 troop in Iraq and we can't find any either. W is asking for more time.

Comment

• LeeG
                            • May 2002

oh stan oh stan,,what a wicked web we weave,,

they hate us because we're free

they're coming

across the Rio Grande

let's go to Iran

bring 'em on.

Comment

• martin schulz
                              Museumharbour CEO
                              • Jan 2001

We're going after those that support terrorism all over the world.
                              Hmm if I recall correctly, the money earned in delivering weapons to the Iran (for a hoped for release of the embassy hostages) was spend on supporting the Terrorist Contra's (anti-Sandinista) in Niceragua.

I think you are right Stan, we, the world comunity should go after everyone that supports terrorism.

[ 09-17-2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: martin schulz ]

Comment

Working...