PDA

View Full Version : SWiMBO Opens MY Mail

captain's gig
10-28-2004, 02:20 PM
And she does it all the the time, she figures I have no right to mail privacy I guess, but my opinion is that it's my mail, even if it is only junk mail and bills, and should only be opened by me.

What say you?

Jim H
10-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Everything her's is her's and everything that's yours is her's. At least that's how it worked back when I was married.

Oyvind Snibsoer
10-28-2004, 02:41 PM
In my country it's illegal to open another person's mail. It's also about respect for other people's right to some privacy and having a small piece of your life that belongs only to you, even in a marriage.

brad9798
10-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Oyvind- It's technically illegal here too, according to federal statute- punishable up to fine and/or jail time.

Yea, I kinda like opening my own mail too ... but I don't care if the wife does (opens mine).

We share everything else, so the mail's no big deal.

smile.gif

Shang
10-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Want to give her a jolt?

Post your mailing address, and I'll get a couple of my students to write sizzling love notes and send them to you in scented envelopes...

...Naugh, probably not a good idea--my wife wouldn't approve.

NormMessinger
10-28-2004, 03:04 PM
After 48 years living pretty much as one organism anything I get with my name on it just as well have Phyllis's and visa versa.

After son Lynn got aquainted with the elderly couple we moved next door to in St. Louis, he observed that they were the only married couple beside us that he knew that actually liked each other. Perhaps that was a bit of an exageration but he was a pretty good judge of people.

Ian Wright
10-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Sheila opens my mail, why would I care? We are an us. I don't need 'privacy', I don't have anything I want to be private about ,,,,,,,,, and anyway why should I sprain my wrists on that thick paper? Back in the days before retirement she would tell me from time to time when I had a pay rise or how much I made that month.
Privacy my fat white fundament,,,,,,,,,,,,,

IanW

uncas
10-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, my boat is my w(l)ife and my pet rock is preocupied. I wish my boat did open up the bills and then, paid them :D

Stiletto
10-29-2004, 01:16 AM
My wife and I respect each others privacy and open our own mail. If i want to know what's in a letter she received I ask her.

Wild Dingo
10-29-2004, 02:37 AM
mmm... I dont get mail... or rather she gets THE mail and opens it if its something she doesnt have a clue about ie: boats or tools she just puts it to one side for me if it has an international address on it she puts it asside for me everything else is hers! ;) ... bills accounts whatever its hers... and I like it just like that! :cool:

I know she tells me from time to time what mail came in whats urgent to pay etc but she also knows I dont hear those sorts of things... yeah it goes in one ear does a quick circut around the mushy stuff jumps out the other ear lobs on the floor where I give it a quick glace and kick it in the corner!... seems I learned a long while back that its just a simple fact that she handles that gunk better than me while I handle the important stuff like tool and boat stuff :D :cool:

And I like it like that... and she gave up tryin to get me interested years ago... and I like it just like that! tongue.gif

I concur that our marriage is a partnership and theres nothin I should or would be gettin that she couldnt or shouldnt read and vise versa so if she has the weird penchant of goin all the way to the box to pick the mail up and then walks all the way back into the house and sits down and goes to all the trouble and effort to open every mail that comes in who am I to argue?... As I say its been years and years since any sheila sent me scented mailings! mostly all I gets are mailins of boat stuff the occasional magazine and tool catalogues and she aint interested in that stuff and I aint interested in the other stuff as I know she can handle whatever comes in without me interferin!

And by the way I like it just like that!... let her get the worry and frown lines while I keep me beeootiful smooth skin! :D

cs
10-29-2004, 06:33 AM
In my household my wife opens the junk mail addressed to me, but leaves the other stuff alone. I don't open her mail at all. I don't care one way or the other whether she reads mine, but I appreciate her respect for my privacy.

Chad

SUE H
10-29-2004, 06:47 AM
I open up all of the junk mail and cut it up, regardless of which name is on it. But as to personal mail, if Mike gets a letter from his brother or a friend, I leave it for him to open, because I consider correspondence personal.

However, he opens up most of my e-mails, which doesn't bother me, but a friend of mine from Arizona thought that was astounding, and was surprised that I didn't mind. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

Russell Sova
10-29-2004, 07:00 AM
What's a SWiMBO?

shamus
10-29-2004, 07:07 AM
she who indubitably must be obeyed

Wild Dingo
10-29-2004, 07:21 AM
or She Who Inevitably Must Be Obeyed... said with a sigh after inevitably :rolleyes: