PDA

View Full Version : H/T BUILD A STEAM BOX

Maxie Herrington
07-21-2002, 01:11 PM
HELLO, ALL. I intend to build the Riverside Dinghy, featured in the recent issues of WoodenBoat Magazine, as a tender for the, "OH YES", a 26' round bottomed motorboat, purchased by my Grandfather, Ned Herrington, in 1922. A steam box is required, and although I saw them as a child, I've no idea how to build one. Any suggestions out there? Thanks for any help you can offer. Max Herrington.

Maxie Herrington
07-21-2002, 11:25 PM
Thanks Donn, I'll do that. Local camera shop putting a photo of the "OH YES" on a diskette for me. Should have it soon, and will post it. Thanks for your interest. She looks much like the "EVERGLADES", on page 90 of WoodenBoat's latest issue. Twenty-six feet overall, six foot six beam and draws about two and a half feet. Apparently built on Grand Lake here in New Brunswick, Canada in 1912. My Grandfather bought her in 1922 as an open boat. Towed her to Saint John, put her in his plumbing shop on Main Street. Built a cabin on her, removed the old Kermath that was worn out, and put in a 6 hp Essex, one lunger, make and break. Wanted a suitable boat to go duck hunting in the fall. When I came along in 1942, Dad, Grampie and I would go up river on the weekends. Started when I was three months old. She's in my blood and a part of my spirit, no question.

Those Eldredge-McInnis boats have beautiful lines. Do you have a picture on the Net I could view? Would like to know your story. My email is, maxnancy@nb.sympatico.ca, if you want to reply personally. Thanks again. Look forward to hearing from you. Max.

Maxie Herrington
07-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Thanks Donn. I'll do that. Local camera shop is putting a picture of the "OH YES" on a diskette for me. Should have it shortly and will post it. Thanks for your interest. I'll include her story with the picture. Those Eldredge-McInnis boats have beautiful lines. Do you have a picture I could view? Look forward to hearing from you. Have come to appreciate the U.S. of A. even more since last September. We're with you, in these new times. Take heart - and take care. Max.

Maxie Herrington
07-21-2002, 11:37 PM
Sorry, Donn. Posted twice. Thought I lost the first one. I'll master this gall-danged computer - one of these days.

Garrett Lowell
07-22-2002, 08:39 AM
Even though I'm a sailor, I never get tired of seeing your boat, Donn.

Maxie Herrington
07-22-2002, 08:30 PM
A fine little ship, Donn. And Garrett, some of us motorboat owners love to sail too, you know. That's my first love. However, I was brought up on the "OH YES" and she's a part of me. Learned to sail in an International 14' lapstrake dinghy with Dad when I was eight. Also sailed a Herreshoff 28 in the 90's for about eight years.(1990's that is.) My wife isn't crazy about rail-down sailing, so the Riverside Dinghy should slake my thirst, when we're up river on the "OH YES", and she's having her second cup of tea. Do you have a picture of your boat in here anywhere? Cheers all. Max.