PDA

View Full Version : New (recent) computer

ishmael
12-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Mike's "dude" thread has me thinking. I bought this computer a couple months ago, and all I do is surf, and write. I know it's capable of so much more, but I don't understand any more than very basic stuff. Are there good books? Something not too technoweenie?

It's a HP, with a 1.7 gig AMD Athlon, 512mb DDR SDRAM, 60 gig hard drive, 32 mb DDR SDRAM integrated graphics, and a CD-RW drive. Whew! :eek: :eek: :eek: Operating system is Windows XP.

It says it's digi-photo and digi-video ready, with usb ports out front (next to the roses tongue.gif )

The thing is, these bastards come with almost no printed material. I'd like an index, and some stoopid beginning explainations.

Any thoughts?

Jack

Memphis Mike
12-11-2002, 08:13 PM
I dunno if this will help or not but
how about "The Internet For Dummies."

John R. Levine
Carol Baroudi
Margaret Levine Young

Uh, no offence Jack. :D

ishmael
12-11-2002, 08:26 PM
No offence taken Mike, when it comes to this ****e I am a dummy. Though it seems these newer machines allow pretty free surfing without getting into the finer points.

Donn.

Well, photogs, to begin with. I looked at digital cameras the other day but, even though tempted, didn't buy.

Since it's got a CD burner, I'd like to hook up with some of the free music sites. Love to be able to down load some swing, some jazz, some classical, some....

I dunno. This is my first real computer. I bought it (likely stupidly) because in addition to the rebates it was a floor model and I got what seemed a good deal. Around a grand with a 17 inch monitor.

I think I really need to start with understanding the way the damn thing thinks. I'd like a book because I get frustrated, at this stage, trying to sort through the windows on screen. It hurts my head and eyes, and I'm not that accustomed to its logic.

Also, what is this thing capable of? Just to keep me inspired.

jack

Bruce Taylor
12-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Let's see...you can play games where you kill hundreds of monsters in a gloomy tunnel. You can fart around with graphics & photos, putting Stan's head on Greg's body. You can edit digital films, plug in a keyboard and compose music, download pictures of teenage girls having sex with farm animals. None of that seems like you, somehow...

Ah, I know: CAD! You can design a boat. Download a copy of Hullform and draw that Presto you've been thinking of!

Bruce Taylor
12-11-2002, 08:33 PM
Download music!

You want...

Kazaa Lite

and

WinMX

I'll dig up the URLS.

Go to:

http://doa2.host.sk/

or

http://www.winmx.com/

and click on DOWNLOAD.

A little window will ask you if you want to SAVE the file or OPEN it. You want to SAVE it.

[ 12-11-2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Taylor ]

ishmael
12-11-2002, 08:34 PM
Okay, just to let you know where I'm at Bruce, I downloaded your parasite hunter to a temporary file today, and then had to run. I don't even know where to look for it now. I need some training wheels.

Bruce Taylor
12-11-2002, 08:47 PM
As Donn says, the free music websites don't offer much.

However, the MP3 file-sharing programs (the demon progeny of Napster) offer a great deal. Not all of it is copyrighted material. If you're fastidious about piracy, you can still have a great time downloading 75-year-old jazz tunes.

If you're into it, I'll walk you through the process of downloading the software.

Bruce Taylor
12-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Jack, here's how to find that Ad-Aware program.

I'm using a different version of WINDOWS, but I think my instructions will work for you.

Click on the START button (lower left).

Click on SEARCH, and select FILES AND FOLDERS from the popup window.

In the SEARCH dialog, type: AAW.EXE

(that's the name of the file you downloaded)

When it pops up in your search window, click on it, and it should install itself.

ishmael
12-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Bruce,

I'm in the middle of burning a late steak, but by all means, walk away. If nothing else, I'll copy it and work with it as time permits. What's and mp3 anyhoo?

ishmael
12-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Bruce,

So, I typed the file name you gave me into the search function (learned sumpthin' new right there, eyah) but it turned up nada. I downloaded the second of your posts, is it different, is that why?

I NEED a TUTOR!

:D

J.

Memphis Mike
12-11-2002, 09:44 PM
"only faster and more customizable."

Now yer talkin my kinda lingo! :D

NormMessinger
12-11-2002, 10:51 PM
Um, Bruce, my search dealy says "FIND" rather than "SEARCH" and one needs to tell it where to "LOOK IN:"

Ish, click on browse and select the line that includss "C:". The check subdirectories box should be checked.

Now see what happens.

--Norm

ishmael
12-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Norm, thanks but your are talking to a complete idiot here. Click on "browse" where?

Gary Bergman
12-11-2002, 11:10 PM
Stop burnin' steak and start burnin' CD's!! :D

htom
12-12-2002, 12:25 AM
ishmael -- the dead-tree documentation you desire is somewhat available. Others than O'Reilly have simular books; I just happen to know www.ora.com: (http://www.ora.com:)

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/winxpannoy/ Windows XP Annoyances

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/windowsxptmm/ Windows XP Home Edition: The Missing Manual

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/winxppro/ Windows XP Pro: The Missing Manual

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/winxpnut/ Windows XP in a Nutshell

O'Reilly manages to write very good books about Windows; both my wife and I use and recommend the preceeding books in these series (for w95, w98, wME, wNT, w2000, w2kPro), and I have no reason to think that these won't be as good.

Shang
12-12-2002, 01:26 AM
Part of the problem is that XP sucks seaweed!
Yes, I did pick up an emachine XP at the Best Buy Post-Thanxgiving 6-hour sale. It was a bargain, and a step up the food chain from the Kentucky Fried Computer ("parts is parts," build-it-yourself) computer I've been using.
The challenge is to re-program XP so that it resembles a less-friendly, but more useful OS.
--I'm workin' on that.
(By the way, wisdom has it that the Canon FS2720U film scanner won't work in an XP environment. HA! It will! Canon posted a patch that cures the problem... Mumble, mumble, mumble....)

ishmael
12-12-2002, 01:34 AM
Part of the problem is that XP sucks seaweed! No, all of the problem is that this jockey is on a hippo rather than a horse. I really haven't a clue. You people don't believe me, but its true.

I want, so badly, to get rid of the parasites Bruce Taylor described, that I'm looking around for a spray.

What are you doing up at this un-godly hour Bruce H.?

[ 12-12-2002, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Meerkat
12-12-2002, 04:16 AM
Ish; to find aaw.exe do this:

Click on the start button in the lower left corner of the screen.

click on Programs

click on Accessories

click on File Manager - a program called File Manager will start. (You might have to double-click to start it.)

click on the little drive icon with the "C:" by it in the left box. You might have to look around a bit for it. Some of the little icons with a "+" by them will open up to show more little icons and one of them will be named "C:"

Now, RIGHT click (click with the right mouse button with the cursor over the icon) on the "C:" icon and a menu will appear. click on "find" (or it might be called "search". A window will pop up.

In the box labelled "search for files named:" type in "aaw.exe" and then click on "ok" or "search" or "find" (whichever it's called).

After some whirring and clicking, it should put up "aaw.exe" in the box on the right with a path and other bothersome info you can ignore or maybe just an icon with the label "aaw.exe". Double click that and you should be good to go.

To get rid of that window, just click on the "X" in the upper right corner.

If, by any chance, the "search" window takes over the left-hand box of the FIle Manager as it sometimes does, just click in the menu at the top of the program on "View" and then click on "Explorer Bar" and then click on "Folders"

Don't be shy about poking around. You can undo things and really bad things have a warning window coming up asking some sort of "Do you really want to do that?" question. They will tell you which button to push to not do whatever it is you're about to do - if it looks scary, don't do it ("cancel" is almost always a safe bet). If you accidentally hit the "delete" key, don't worry, you can find what you accidentally deleted in the "recycle bin" (trash can) on the desktop. Windows Help is lame, but it will at least tell you how to get a file out of the recycle bin and back to where it came from.

[ 12-12-2002, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Shang
12-12-2002, 07:31 AM
"...What are you doing up at this un-godly hour Bruce H.?..." --ish

Huh?... Whut?... Oh, it's morning...'bout 6:20 here...

It wuz computer-related, I had to re-locate the Kentucky-Fried computer to make room for the emachine I mentioned.
Actually computers were put on earth to teach us lessons in humiity--no matter how much we think we know...there's always more to be learned. Sort of an analogy to Life.

NormMessinger
12-12-2002, 10:58 AM
With Meerkat's method, Ish, "Browse" is not a factor. Computers are like cats--lots of ways to skin them.

--Norm