PDA

View Full Version : The truck I want

cs
03-29-2005, 07:21 AM
I've decided that this is the next truck I want. A Dodge Dakota club cab 4WD, 407 L V8 with a towing package all for $23,510.

http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/vimg/eal/eal_images/16/CC05_ND5L84_2TA_PX8_APA_XXX_XXX.jpg

But on second thought I also like the full size RAM. I can really get the truck I want, short wheel base, 5.7 liter with towing package for $24,030.

http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/vimg/eal/eal_images/16/CC05_DR6L61_2TA_PX8_APA_XXX_XXX.jpg

I wouldn't have thought that the full size and the mid size would be that close in price, in fact they were real close in price until I added the upgraded engine. Big differnce between these 2 trucks is the Dakota is the 4 door and the Ram is the standard cab.

Chad

Joe (SoCal)
03-29-2005, 07:26 AM
If I were to ever get a Pick-em-up truck I would get a full size bed. Also never ever get a black truck it will always look dirty and not in a cool pick up truck dirty way. I love my black Saab convertible but I have to wash it twice a week or it looks like crap. Black looks great clean but stays clean about 1 minute :(

[ 03-29-2005, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

cs
03-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Joe I would never buy a long bed if I could help it. I know it carries more stuff, but than again it has a terriable turning radius, and that can be important out in the woods or on that tight job site.

And as far as black I love black. I've had black cars before and I got used to having to wash them all the time. Besides the Dodge Ram looks great in black esp. if you trim it with red.

Chad

uncas
03-29-2005, 07:32 AM
Chad... I had a dodge ram for a while...I hope they have improved...For me, I was lucky, the mechanic lived at the bottom of the hill. ;)
This one looks sharp....Good luck...

Con LanAdo
03-29-2005, 07:36 AM
chad - remember ya back - you shouldn't be playing w/such toys.

Chris Coose
03-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Anybody figuring fuel costs these days?
I'm not just talking pump price here.

cs
03-29-2005, 07:43 AM
These are just the trucks I want. It may be a while before I can get one. Guess I'm stuck with this for while.

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/44/5D/24493380-5c0a-0264015E-.jpg

Don't worry about my back, any truck would be better on my back than what I have and any other truck would be better on gas mileage.

Chad

Joe (SoCal)
03-29-2005, 07:50 AM
The truck I want is the Jeep Gladiator :D

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/585/585931/jeep-gladiator-concept-20050209054327935.jpg

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/585/585931/jeep-gladiator-concept-20050209054328607.jpg

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/585/585931/jeep-gladiator-concept-20050209054331123.jpg

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/585/585931/jeep-gladiator-concept-20050207024441073.jpg

In Red of course smile.gif

[ 03-29-2005, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

cs
03-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Joe, that is a sharp truck, but those back seats will not work for a family of three.

Chad

ps I like that color shown.

JimD
03-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Do you really need a V8? Most people who own them don't and spend much of their time cursing the price of gas. I drive a Mazda B3000 - 3 litre, 6 cylinder, and really a Ford Ranger with a Mazda logo on it. Has all the power I'm likely to need.

John Bell
03-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by cs:
Joe I would never buy a long bed if I could help it. I know it carries more stuff, but than again it has a terriable turning radius, and that can be important out in the woods or on that tight job site.I'm just the opposite, I'd never buy a short bed. Short beds are for poseurs who only want a truck 'cuz they think it makes them look cool. ;) :D tongue.gif

Leon m
03-29-2005, 09:09 AM
When Toyota came out with a 6'bed in the Tacoma (05)I dropped my Dodge Ram Like hot potatoe.The new Tacoma Comes with a 245hp v6 (blows the doors off of Dakota and Ram),Much more interior room than the Dakota,and twice the gas milliage of the Ram,and Dakota.

Tealsmith
03-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I want to haul my plywood and drywall with the tailgate up.

Matt J.
03-29-2005, 09:57 AM
I do, too.

So I bought a more efficient short bed Tacoma and just drag my hauling trailer to whatever big box store I'm buying the sheet goods at. I still get 2 yards of mulch, full yard of soil, and all the other junk I need for land surveying to fit in the little bed, without compromising efficiency or performance. Oh, the trailer was a $400 option, and I could have bought 15 of them with the delivery charges I've saved.

Mrleft8
03-29-2005, 10:00 AM
The truck I want gets 100MPG, can tow a 40' sailboat up a mountain, haul a cord of firewood, and costs under 10 grand. I'm still searching...

cs
03-29-2005, 10:04 AM
I know that long wheel based can haul more, but a short wheel base hauls all I need and I much prefer to have the tighter turning radius.

As far as bigger motors, I never want to run out of power, and besides us old red necks love big motors. Like I said above, anything would be an improvment of my gas mileage.

Chad

Katherine
03-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Here's the truck I have on order. :D
http://www.config.nissanusa.com/img/m/config/i/csx_frc_05_le_bx7_lg.jpg

Don Olney
03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
The Dodge Ram 1500 (8 cyl )pickups are notorious gas guzzlers. They get between 8-12 mpg. That is one reason why there are so many used ones for sale. Gas guzzling, a Extended Quad Super cab and a short bed add up to a thoroughly useless truck. And as far as looks are concerned, I find the styling gross.

[ 03-29-2005, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Don Olney ]

cs
03-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Katherine, nice looking truck.

Don, that is where you and I will have to disagree. A long bed is not always needed. You can haul quite a bit of stuff in a short bed without having to sacfrice for length. I've always had short wheel based trucks and never ran short of room.

As far as the looks I like the look, espl better than the slooping round nosed look of the Fords. The squared off Fords look better, but I still prefer the look of the Dodge.

Chad

Joe (SoCal)
03-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Im with Chad on the look eeeek man FORDS YUCK all curvy and round eeek :( GMC ehhhh ZZZZZZZZZZZZ boring. The Nissan comes the close to aggressive styling. I like the Nissan Katherine. I allways like Nissan trucks I owned the first Xterra and loved it.

huisjen
03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
A 4' box is not a bed unless you're a dog.

Dan

dmede
03-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Those are not trucks. This is a truck:

http://classicunimogs.com/gaggenau/sehsuvar1-b.jpg
http://classicunimogs.com/unimog_photos_4.html

Custom 4 door Unimog 406.

Joe (SoCal)
03-29-2005, 12:54 PM
na ya need a bed on it and a narrow turning radius for chad ;)

http://www.voigtseil.de/unimog.JPG

[ 03-29-2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

dmede
03-29-2005, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
[QB]na ya need a bed on it and a narrow turning radius for chad ;)

Who needs to turn, with a Mog like that you just drive right over it! :D

seafox
03-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Katherine how long is the bed on the truck you are getting?
it does look nice. I looked one over closely at a sonic drive in because I knew you worked for the company

Chad
Not a dodge <frown> actually used to drive dodges a lot in my job about 105,000 miles a year and I always found the ergonomics rather on the small side the arm rests were 4 inches too low the ceiling an inch or two low the seats angled to far back and didn't suport my back and the stearingwhell didn't tilt high enough. they also rattled much more than I thought they should and many little parts seem to beak sooner than I thought they should.
jeffery

seafox
03-29-2005, 01:06 PM
their was a japaneese auto company who produced vehicles for the US army durring the korean war
the have just started selling a retro vehicle modles after that korean was vehicle
i just caught this on a radio show and am not sure what company and model but I think it might have been toyota?
thankyou for your help on this
jeffery

dmede
03-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by seafox:
their was a japaneese auto company who produced vehicles for the US army durring the korean war
the have just started selling a retro vehicle modles after that korean was vehicle
i just caught this on a radio show and am not sure what company and model but I think it might have been toyota?
thankyou for your help on this
jefferyyeah that would be the Toyota Land Cruiser, my vehicle of choice actually. The new "retro" vehicle is the FJ Crusier, not an actual Land Cruiser. They have a 70 series LC available in around the world that I would love to have, but alas, they will not imnport them to the US.

http://www.4x4servicevalkenburg.nl/nieuw4wd.htm

brian.cunningham
03-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Check out the new full-sized hybrid comming out.
http://www.gmc.com/sierra/hybrid_popup.jsp
http://www.gmc.com/sierra/images/context_global_hybrid.jpg

For 2005, Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 2WD and 4WD models are available with an all-new hybrid system - the first of its kind in a full-size pickup.* This gasoline/electric hybrid is up to 10% more fuel efficient than the gasoline version offering the best highway fuel economy of any full size V8 pickup.

And with the Vortec 5300 V8 engine, it's every bit as powerful and reliable. What's more, it features a built in generator - 120-volt AC power made available through four outlets two in the cab and two in the truck bed. Available in limited quantities and limited geographical areas.^

dmede
03-29-2005, 01:43 PM
"up to 10% more fuel efficient"

That hardley seems like much of an improvement. A straight ahead diesel would do better.

Beowolf
03-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Our Toyota Tundra rides more comfortably than our Nissan Altima (which is a pretty comfy car in its own right). I have never been able to figure out the whole horsepower issue with trucks. If you need to pull hard, just select a lower gear. Look at the old IH trucks and SUVs and what people have done with them. Even the new Dodge Sprinter Vans come with 4 cyls. My truck has a small (4.7 L) V8 that has always proved to be more than I needed.

We also have the short bed as it was the only option with the extended cab. For that matter, we only have the V8 because we have 4WD and you could not get the V6.

I bring all this up because they are all compromises that we made when selecting our truck and I'm pretty sure that we fall into the largest demographic that purchases trucks. We use it for truck-like purposes (Hauling lumber, lawn mowers, etc.) from time to time, but the majority of the time it commutes my wife and son to work and back. My wife was teh one who insisted on 4WD for her own peace of mind in the winter. She engages it while city driving is the ice and snow. Can I lay a sheet of plywood in the bed with the gate up? No. But then again, I only haul sheet goods perhaps once a month, so...

As for the Nissan Frontier. Nice truck. But mine wasn't selected as a winner in the "Build Your Own Frontier" contest . :( What's up with that Kath...? Can'cha help a brother out, here?

Jeff

Katherine
03-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Joe, get the new Xterra, much nicer truck. smile.gif

Seafox, as I recall the bed is like 4'6". I chose the crew cab so that I could haul the sister's brats or the dog around. It was actually a toss up between the Frontier and the Titan. I ended up ordering the Frontier because of the better gas milage and the fact it didn't look totally ridiculous squeezed into my driveway. Frontier fits quite nicely. :D

Beowolf, sorry man, can't help you.

Matt J.
03-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Katherine, please pass this over to marketing:

marketing the Titan as a poseur truck: bad idea. I looked at them, and on paper they looked right for my purposes (land surveying, field truck), but when I saw it advertised as "for people who want the pickup truck lifestyle..." I quickly decided that's who they built it for, no way it'll last.

Looked like a well thought out truck, though, except the odd-ball drawer on the lower rear driver's side that'll get ripped off on the first rock it gets dragged across.

I can't even sit comfortably in the mid and small size Nissans. And why don't all trucks have locking differentials? Tacoma could have gotten the nod for that if nothing else... as it is, the clutch is a POS, but that locker has already gotten me off construction sites where I'd have had to spend the night w/o it.

Katherine
03-29-2005, 06:13 PM
MattJ
Marketing went the way it did because they were trying to brake into a market that no other import brand was in (sorry all you Tundra drivers, but Detroit does not consider it a full sized pick-up). It was marketings belief that their best bet was to appeal to the consumer who wanted a "lifestyle" vehicle. The truck is generally well thought out, well built and will hold up as well as the rest of them. Also there are plans for a heavy duty model in the next few years.

As for the locking diff thing, Nissan's redone it's entire truck line in the last 2 years and all the trucks are available with a locking diff.

Matt J.
03-29-2005, 06:54 PM
In that case, pass along to marketing to highlight that... I didn't see anything about it in lots of research. Good to know though. You'd be surprised how many fools like me would spend more for a vehicle that can help fix our errors. And how many guys don't know there are trucks with locking differentials. (guy on a big site, few weeks ago, drives a big ugly dodge, all fancy, says he'd drive me back onto the site so I wouldn't get stuck... so I tell him you go I'll follow, and let's see who gets stuck first... stupid but he got yanked by a dozer, not me, and I was in his ruts going slow to avoid his bumper).

Gary E
03-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Has anyne ever seen a full size 4 WD. extended cab long bed pickup with a GMC 6-53 Diesel? that's an idea I been toying with..

Katherine
03-29-2005, 09:54 PM
MattJ, The locking diff is one of those things that is nice to have, but most people won't use it 99.9% of the time. I've driven with the diff locked a little bit, mostly just to check it out (don't worry this was an off road test). The truck I ordered has one, it was part of the package. Heck, most people probably don't even know what a locking diff is, when to turn it on, and when to turn it off.

MickeyLane
03-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Hrumph. A truck what is a truck:

http://www.buschandbusch.com/deuce139.jpg

hoss
03-29-2005, 10:20 PM
We tow some serious weight, 7500 pounds in a 24 foot stock trailer. The trucks that seem to stand up, are the pre 1996 Fords, old style body on frame, truley awful gas use, mine gets about 9 miles a gallon, I try not to drive it much. Unfortunatley Mr. and Ms. yuppie want their truckies to look tuff but ride like a car and the new trucks are made for them and not farmers or others who use them as trucks.
The best truck I ever owned, was a 1 ton Ford crew cab beefed up with helper springs to over a ton and 1/2, 5 speed stick with bull low and a 351 with minimal polution stuff on it. What a truck there was nothing it could not tow or haul. Couldn't park it anywhere and it would get stuck in 2 inches of snow. Believe it not the damn thing got almost 20 miles a gallon (Canadian Gallon) It rotten to the frame before I sold it.

I have always a truck and the one I have now is a short box super cab. Never again hardly a day goes by that I don't curse the short useless box.

sbsbw
03-29-2005, 10:28 PM
I have developed 3 rules for when i finally have the money to buy a truck.

1. Must Be Desiel- Who would ever want a gas engine, besides you can run it on veggi oil
2. Must Be 3/4 ton or greater
3. Must Have 8' bed
4. Must Be easy to do work on
5. (most important) Must BE Standard

then there are the desirables

4. Crew Cab
5. 4WD

I think that I will end up getting an old desiel from the days before vacume hozes and such. like '83- '87 range. problably will actually go for something like an '86 international 5 yd dump

The truck I want gets 100MPG, can tow a 40' sailboat up a mountain, haul a cord of firewood, and costs under 10 grand. I'm still searching... couldn't agree more

FYI i have a friend who has a 03 or 04 Dodge 1500 quad cab, feels significanly bigger then another friends 04 ford F250 super cab. the windshild on the dodge has a lot of slope.

-SBSBW

[ 03-29-2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: sbsbw ]

seafox
03-30-2005, 03:35 AM
Before my dad got the 69 ford F250 4x4 I currently drive he had a 64 chev with positrack limited slip diferentual it never got stuck. I when younger had bought my uncles 67 ford f250 4x4 and in 1980 managed to get royally stuck in a distributary "dry" ceek bed in the deserts of wyoming it took three hours of digging and jacking and some nearby dridge timbers to get myself out.
towing a 5th wheel I managed to get stuck down in my field in the spring time a guy with a winch pulled me out and it was amaxing it didnly matter where the old pizza cutter tires were pointing I went straight to the winch ( on a ford bronco full size. the clayie soil of the bottoms are intresting friends dump truck got stuck and it only sank in about 2 inches. the day I got stuck towing the 5th wheel downn there a guy with a 2 sheel drive parked on a dryer part of the built up road and parked it slid side ways off the road into a ditch
jeffery

Ron Williamson
03-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Gary E
I knew a guy with a 3-53 in a 3/4 ton Ford and another with a 354 Perkins in a full size 4wd GMC.
The GMC guy claims mileage in the mid 20s,but the adaptations were a real pain.
R

cs
03-30-2005, 08:06 AM
I like the looks of the Jeep that Joe posted, but help me with this quote.

The Jeep Gladiator is a lifestyle pickup with all the capability of the famed Wrangler.If this one comes out of concept it might be a good deal.

Chad

Wild Dingo
03-31-2005, 09:21 AM
And I want Donns truck!!!... mmm or Standleys! :D love camaflag! ;) But well for now I will settle for me Tamrock Toro 50T not glamorous but tuffer than yer average ducks knuts! tongue.gif

Im actually about to buy my brothers Ford F100... bloody tuff ol thing she is only a few years old ala 1974 but TUFF mates I mean TUFF Ive been wanting one of these buggars since they first went on the market but ALWAYS somethin else got bought... IM GONNA BUY THIS ONE I TELLS YER!!!... hes been thoroughly warned of some serious gronical removal if he sells it out from under me!!... but I gotta wait till we both move south him from Kal to Vasse near Busselton and me from Mandurah to Brunswick Junction... move for both of us is the 18th!!! YEEEEEEFLAMINHAAA!!!

okay back to twucks! ;)

Ross M
03-31-2005, 10:15 AM
"Who would ever want a gas engine"

Easy. Your next door neighbors, the people next to you at the bank drive through, the people around you in stop and go traffic, etc.

Basically, anyone who wants to hear anything other than clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack ...

Ross

brian.cunningham
03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
from http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1052596
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/nhlgopens/highboy2.jpg

AngWood
03-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Ridgeline, please.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2006/ridgeline/com147_img2.jpg

Donn
03-31-2005, 04:57 PM
I'll keep running my Ford.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/donnwest/truck.jpg

It costs me a few hundred a year to nurse it through inspection, and I think I only put about 1500 miles on it last year, but I still like to drive it.

Katherine
03-31-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by AngWood:
Ridgeline, please.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2006/ridgeline/com147_img2.jpgTalk about bad marketing campaigns.

Jack Heinlen
03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does one of these mid-sized buggies with a V-6 get for gas mileage? Let's say a Toyota.

sbsbw
03-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Here's the Truck I want

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/assets/severe/CXT-2.gif
International CXT (http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/XTFamily/cxt.asp)

or more likely

http://www.mitfuso.com/images/FG.jpg
Mitsubishi Fuso 4wd (http://www.mitfuso.com/pages/model_fg.html)

-SBSBW

Katherine
03-31-2005, 09:50 PM
I would avoid the Mitsubishi if I was you. Many of the Japanese executives for the company are being arrested for hiding safety defects in the companies vehicles. This includes trucks, but I'm not sure it includes heavy trucks. There were a number of accidents where people were actually killed because of the safety defects.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
03-31-2005, 10:06 PM
I want one like this..... :D

http://classictrucksweb.com/events/0503cl_good_08_z.jpg

LeeG
03-31-2005, 10:11 PM
I'd like the mercedes/dodge Sprinter van with a back porch for motor scooter and lowered roof line for the kayak.

BrianW
03-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Joe,

That little door on the side of the Jeep reminds me of the little cargo door on Cessna 172, 180, 185's etc.

The Honda is just plain ugly.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-31-2005, 11:02 PM
I have yet to figure out what a full sized 1/2 ton pickup is if the Toyota Tundra doesn't qualify. It holds 1900 pounds in the bed and tows (very very conservative figure) 7500 pounds. That's as much as any one elses 1/2 ton.

I wouldn't buy a dodge or a Jeep. They don't hold their value because they break a lot. In saying that, Toyota's resale value is bordering on insane.

I would also buy a Ford F150 .. the new chassis is quite good. I don't find the 5.4 litre engine to be particularly responsive tho.

Katherine
03-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Tundra is what is jokingly referred to as a 7/8 truck.

Jack Heinlen
04-01-2005, 07:09 AM
So, no one knows what sort of gas mileage one can expect? The reason I ask is because there is a Toyota Forerunner for sale down the road. Maybe a '98.

My '89 Mazda with 180 K is limping a bit, and I've gotta decide whether to throw a grand at it this spring or sell it. It needs a new gas tank, some fairly major exhaust work, and, possibly, a distributor. And the damn horn quit last week. tongue.gif :D

I haven't spent any serious money on it in a few years, and the motors and trannies are reputed to run another 50 K, at least, but it is getting a bit tatty. The motor, an overhead cam four, is right up there with the legendary Toyota four bangers. The only weak spot is the hydraulic lifters. I've had a noisy one for almost a hundred thousand miles, but it settles when it warms up, and then after long trips gets noisy again.

So I'm guessing this forerunner with a V-6 will be lucky to see 20 on the highway. Sound about right? I don't really need a six, but the four wheel drive would be nice at times: snow, boat ramps and such.

I wonder if there is room in the back to stretch out a sleeping bag. That would be nice.

I hate the ads for the Nissan equivilent, by the way. Yeah, take your 250 ponies into places people ought to be walking. Listen to mind numbing music, do mind numbing things. ;)

cs
04-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Jack I would say that about 20 on the highway sounds about right.

As far as you folks that don't believe you can have enough power I disagree. I want to be able to jump in traffic when needed and also have enough torque to pull a half drowned boat out of the lake. That is another reason for 4WD. Imagine being on some of our steep ramps. They are wet and covered with slime. 2WD may not work, you may need the front pulling also to make it out.

Case in point we have one ramp that I launched from. It was just like mentioned above. I was using the wife's Rodeo and I've got plenty of experiance on wet and slippery surfaces. I was able to ease the truck out without losing traction. I watched a small truck launching his bass boat. When he went to pull just his truck and trailer back up the ramp, he was spinning his tires the whole way up. If he had 4WD he would've had a lot less slipage. But than again if he knew how to drive he may not have needed 4WD.

Chad

John Bell
04-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Our ramps are every bit as steep as yours Chad, and I've never had trouble hauling our monstrous 5,000 lb pontoon up any ramp with my buddy's 2WD Toyota PU. In all the time we had our 4WD Explorer, we seldom used it in 4x4 mode. The most use it ever got was a snowy trip to Ohio one winter.

More power is a lot more fun, I'll grant you. However the base Tacoma has 170 HP 4-banger, and that would be more than enough for most anybody. Instead of springing for a big motor and 4x4, I'd stick with the base powerplant and tranny but spring for a limited slip diffy. Ninety percent of the time a limited slip will give the traction you need.

Edited to add: The only reason I'd get a more powerful truck (and it would be a diesel) is if I routinely hauled a big boat or travel trailer around. My buddy's Toyota will pull our boat short distances at low speeds, but it's not good for it's longevity.

[ 04-01-2005, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: John Bell ]

LeeG
04-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Katherine:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AngWood:
Ridgeline, please.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2006/ridgeline/com147_img2.jpgTalk about bad marketing campaigns.</font>[/QUOTE]I saw one this morning in black,,it looks good,,yes the Escalade like sloping side panels on the bed look too pimp like, but it's squatty/wide,,this has all kinds of "transformer" potential. In black it looked chunky, but not goofy like the Element(and I like the ScionXb),I saw a blue on go by that looked suburban/housewifey. I hope the hidden trunk in the bed can't fill up with sand/crud but it looked good up close.

High C
04-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by cs:
...That is another reason for 4WD. Imagine being on some of our steep ramps. They are wet and covered with slime. 2WD may not work, you may need the front pulling also to make it out...Agreed. I have gotten into trouble on steep, slick ramps more than once with 2WD trucks. Big boat, slick ramp, 4WD is essential. It's also MUCH easier on the transmission to pull a boat out in low range. Slipping the torque converter in high range can add up to a lot of wear and tear over time.

That said, I am a fan of low horsepower trucks. It is not necessary to have loads of horsepower to move heavy loads at low speeds. Low gearing takes care of that. Look at the weight to HP ratios of things like wreckers and even semis to see this demonstrated. Horsepower is needed for rapid acceleration, and towing heavy loads at high speeds, but that's about all, and at a high cost.

[ 04-01-2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: High C ]

Matt J.
04-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Jack, my company Tacoma has a V6 and gets reliably 19-21 mpg mostly highway, some bad traffic, too though. All highway I'd get 22, lots of traffic, I'd be getting 17-18 mpg (as I shot myself ;) ).

And who said Jeeps are unreliable? How many miles do you have driving Jeeps? Particularly a modern TJ? I have well around 300,000 in two vehicles and 8 years. I sold them both because I wanted more gas efficiency - not because there was a thing wrong with them. my kid brother has one, with only 40k on it, but never had any trouble. In 300,000 miles I bought 3 sets of tires and two sets of brakes (I trashed them gong mudding and not cleaning them afterwards when I just got the first Jeep).

Other than that, I ran the heck out of them, and was NEVER left stranded. I rear ended someone once, and had to buy them a bumper, but had a 1/2" scratch on my bumper. I got rear ended by some dingbat on a cell phone, too, in Jeep No. 2. She had to get a ride home. I had to tighten a bolt on my bumper (was probably already loose before getting hit). Didn't even get a scratch.

So take that "not a Jeep" because they're "not reliable" and think again. I'm already looking for a beater Jeep to play with (like putting a diesel in it and running veggie oil).

Matt J.
04-01-2005, 11:46 AM
(said with a sheepish grin) Hmmm, Peter, perhaps you're talking about the old Jeep trucks? Those I don't know. redface.gif

But thinking about it: get a Jeep TJ with a small trailer for hauling... you get all weather fun, top-down heaven, and pull anything you want. smile.gif

Garrett Lowell
04-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Agreed, Matt. My Wrangler is rock solid reliable, and agreeably simple (only the steering is power. Everything else is cordless). I'll likely never get rid of it.

paladin
04-01-2005, 11:59 AM
4 wheel drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places...and the better the 4 wheel drive the farther out ya get stuck.....

High C
04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by paladin:
4 wheel drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places...and the better the 4 wheel drive the farther out ya get stuck.....http://www.4wd.ru/images/dictionary/winch.jpg

:D

Jack Heinlen
04-01-2005, 12:43 PM
BTW Shane, I owned an F 100 about the same vintage. Straight six, three on the tree, a clutch that kept my left thigh in shape. Good truck.

Ergonomics? Who ever heard about that?

For a truck it's good. I wouldn't want to commute in one, and even with the six the gas just went through it. But for a few miles a year, for a work truck, first rate.

High C
04-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
BTW Shane, I owned an F 100 about the same vintage. Straight six, three on the tree, a clutch that kept my left thigh in shape...Oh yeah, I had one, too, a 74, 3 on the tree, NO power steering or brakes, and the optional ($45) 302 V8. That clutch made me limp.

One tough summbich!

Jack Heinlen
04-01-2005, 06:12 PM
The Mazda is going to Kevin the car doctor tomorrow. He's right across the road. I just need to get it inspectable for now, so I'm hoping a little patching on the exhaust and a bang on the horn will do the tricks.

When he has it on the lift I'll have to spin the rear wheels and see if it has a limited slip diff. I suspect not.

What a practical vehicle. Extra cab, six foot bed. 2000 lb. tow, and it still gets 26-28 on the highway(without the boat). I'd buy another in a heartbeat. It's just a very smart truck for a variety of purposes. Obviously not if you are a contractor who regularly hauls tons of stuff, or if you have a big family(though two adults and two kids works), but for all-around utility I think the type is difficult to beat.

I bought it, used, almost ten years ago for four grand. I bet I've spent an average of 500 smackers a year on regular stuff, including tires and brakes.

When I finally do replace it, if I buy a pickup I'll look for an extra-cab. I've had regular cabs, and the extra space is great. Sheba liked to curl up back there on the long trip. It also catches all kinds of junk. I can't imagine being without that extra space. smile.gif

I stopped and looked at the Forerunner this afternoon. '92. I didn't get very far because it has an automatic.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Tundra is what is jokingly referred to as a 7/8 truck. Yeah, I bet the domestics are laughing at Toyota and
Honda and all the stupid things they do tongue.gif

Katherine
04-01-2005, 09:08 PM
PMJ, full size pick-ups were the last bastion of domestic superiority. The big three do them and do them well. Part of the problem with the Tundra's lack of stature is just plain and simplely culture. It's hard for the Japanese to even fathom the need for a vehicle the size of an F150. Japanese roads can not handle them. When Nissan dove into the foray with the Titan, they had spent years doing their homework. Titan is actually the first full sized pick-up from a import brands (although it is built at the Mississippi plant) and it is doing quite well for itself.

Editted for PMJ

[ 04-01-2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 09:12 PM
That would be "bastion"... as as for superiority, you must mean exclusivity... because the big three had the truck market (north american style) to themselves. Not anymore, and the downhill of "domestic" market share is continuing as a result.

You a mechanic Katherine?

Tundra is not built anywhere but North America.

[ 04-01-2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Peter Malcolm Jardine ]

Katherine
04-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Automotive Engineer smile.gif

I know Tundra is NA built, just not NA size.

[ 04-01-2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Try working on some of the stuff you are calling superior.

Better yet, find me a credible consumer based survey that reports domestics to be better than their "import" counterparts. ;)

Katherine
04-01-2005, 09:22 PM
PMJ, I spend every working day around cars and trucks. I design parts for them, work on them, and take care of them. I have been privileged to work on some very fine machines. I've also met some real duds, go figure. If you think I'm bashing the import brand, go back and scroll through this thread to see which truck I have on order.

[ 04-01-2005, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]

Donn
04-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Katherine:
Automotive Engineer smile.gif

Not good enough, Katherine. Ya see, Peter is a former salesman. He knows everything there is to know about cars, trucks etc.. Add to that the fact that you're a female, and an American.

You don't have a prayer.

Katherine
04-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Donn, never claimed to be all knowing. Do I know a lot about cars and how they are developed? Yes. Wuld I know more then an old warhorse like PMJ? Maybe, maybe not. :D

Jack Heinlen
04-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Um, excuse me, ha hem. What is wrong with a final evolution, as far as I'm concerned, of the small pickup? Like the Mazda I've been extolling?

Power, big, power, large. They seem the machinations of an insecure soul. smile.gif

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Donn is a professional idiot... and should be well remunerated for his efforts... He's very good.
;) Actually, his biggest problem is he hasn't done very many things, but he's read about them.

Actually, I think the disconnect for the domestics is not at the engineering level, it's at the manufacturing level. When I worked as a mechanic, most of the (domestic) failure I saw was based on part quality, not the basic engineering. That wasn't always true, but...

Nevertheless, domestic pickups don't have anywhere near the reliability of the "imports".

The Toyota Tundra is a 1/2 ton, that's all. It compares easily to 1/2 tons of the domestic brands with the same features and drivetrain displacement. The "7/8" was a common reference by brands attempting to infer that the Tundra could not do a regular half ton's workload. That simply is not true.

[ 04-01-2005, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Peter Malcolm Jardine ]

Katherine
04-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Sorry PMJ, the Tundra did not have the capacity of the domestic brands or the Titan. I do agree with you on the part quality issues though. Detroit needs to fix tht issue before they go under.

Jack, there is nothing wrong with the smaller trucks, if that's what you want to drive. They are generally a lot more economical and practical then their full sized counter parts for daily driving. We got off on thisvain about the Thundra because someone was spouting off about how it waas just as full sized as the domestics, and it's not. It's a good truck, but does not have the capacity of the domestics or the Nissan Titan.

[ 04-01-2005, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]

Katherine
04-01-2005, 09:40 PM
How did a friendly arguement turn to mud-slinging? :confused:

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Detroit needs to fix tht issue before they go under. I agree.... and it's on dumb things... Brake rotors, fuel and brake line integrity, oil pan rusting... seal and bushings... It all contracted out and the big three are getting screwed somehow.

Katherine
04-01-2005, 09:45 PM
It's that lowest bidder thing. Good parts cost money.

JimD
04-01-2005, 09:47 PM
My '89 Mazda ... Jack, I too had the '89 Mazda B2200, likely identical to yours. I finally got rid of it a few months ago for a 2001 B3000. I don't know how a V6 3 litre B3000 compares to a Forerunner but I'll say that the 6 cylinders gulp gas at a considerably higher rate than the old 4 cylinder B2200. But the extra power sure is nice.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 09:49 PM
[ 04-01-2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Peter Malcolm Jardine ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 09:57 PM
"Sorry PMJ, the Tundra did not have the capacity of the domestic brands "

I don't seem to be able to post this page, but here are the highlights from the Ford Canada web page, on comparison.

F150 4.6 litre is 231 hp with a GVWR of 6799 lbs
It has a 6,200 pound towing capacity. The engine develops 292 ft lbs of torque at 3500 rpm

The Chev Silverado has a 4.8 litre with 285 hp and 295 ft lbs of torque at 4000 rpm It has a GVWR of 6400 pounds and can tow 7000 pounds.

The Toyota Tundra has a 4.7 litre with 282 hp and 328 ft lbs of torque at 3400 rpm. It has a GVWR of 6199 pounds and a towing capacity of 7,300 pounds.

In addition, the Tundra has better gas mileage than either the Ford or Chev, and has a five speed transmission, which in not offered on either domestic.

How is the Tundra a smaller less capable truck?

[ 04-01-2005, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Peter Malcolm Jardine ]

Jack Heinlen
04-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Jack, I too had the '89 Mazda B2200, likely identical to yours. I finally got rid of it a few months ago for a 2001 B3000. I don't know how a V6 3 litre B3000 compares to a Forerunner but I'll say that the 6 cylinders gulp gas at a considerably higher rate than the old 4 cylinder B2200. But the extra power sure is nice. Struck silver with this truck. Yeah, it's underpowered by modern standards. Kiss my ass you arch enemies of slow and steady. ;)

Original alternator, original starter, original clutch. A few problems, and a few more on the horizon, but it will still haul a half ton of gravel, it will cosy me and maybe a dog, it's very comfortable with its wheelbase, it will tow two thousand pounds. And Mazda, in its wisdom, put a double wishbone in the front end, so it actually handles pretty well. Oh, and it gets an honest 26 on the highway.

Of course, I'm badly pragmatist.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 10:18 PM
The old B2200 was a Mazda truck. The B3000 is a Ford
Ranger... with a mazda badge on it. ;)

Katherine
04-01-2005, 10:36 PM
PMJ
Read this. See who's 1st and who's fourth and why.

Edmunds 2004 Full size truck comparison. (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=101958)

BDann
04-01-2005, 10:37 PM
I have been a GM guy for most of my life, but then I bought my first Dodge. It was a 99 Ext. Cab, long bed, 3/4 ton diesel. What a truck! 17-18 mpg in town, just under 24 on the highway. Unfortunately, I needed a more family oriented vehicle and had to trade it in for a MINI-VAN! Yes I am still bitter.

Now I have an '02 Quad Cab, short bed Ram 1500 with the 4.7 liter V8. It gets terrible mileage, but the the interior is set up very well. If it were me, I would go for the Hemi next time. If you are going to get bad mileage at least get the horses to go with it!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Katherine, if you'll notice, the motors are different displacement. Obviously Toyota cannot compete if they don't make it. Comparing the trucks with similiar displacement motors make them very comparable in all aspects of towing and cargo. The comments about interior design are subjective I'm afraid. ;) .... and the Tundra beats out the Silverado which you claim to have more capability.
I'm not arguing that the Tundra can compete with F250's, 2500 series, diesels or larger gas engines on smaller trucks... They don't make one. They make a small block 1/2 ton. That's it.

I like the banner at the top of Edmunds advertising GM... It's well known how much the automotive magazine industry is bought and paid for by the North American auto industry.. The Japanese don't tend to play that game....
I read Consumer reports. Unless I am mistaken it is the largest consumer driven automotive quality survey in the world.They accept NO ADVERTISING. They still rate the Tundra as their number one pick in a FULL SIZED pickup.

I'd never own a Dodge. They're a quality nightmare in my experience...except the cummins truck... a great engine.

[ 04-01-2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Peter Malcolm Jardine ]

Katherine
04-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Just because Toyota calls there truck full sized does not make it that. As I recall, Toyota made some upgrades for 2005, maybe engine size as well. The Edmunds review is a 2004 comparison (Toyota has been calling Tundra full sized for several years). The only full sized pickup from an import brand is the Nissan Titan, even to the Detroit automakers. The Toyota probably does have less quality issues then the domestics, it is after all a Toyota.

The consumer reports guys tend to focus more on quality issues, not pound for pound comparisons. If you read the entire Edmunds article you'd have seen how the Tundra did not measure up in the drive tests. As for the engine displacements being different, they just used the standard models offered by the automaker for their half tons. They didn't use F-250's or HD's. Besides the Titan only comes with one engine.

Cummins engines aren't so great either. I have personel experience with that.

[ 04-01-2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]

coelacanth
04-01-2005, 11:03 PM
I had a Dakota quad-cab 4wd heavy duty everything including 360 magnum . Reasonably comfy inside handled well, went like stink 13mpg. T%hat was unsupportable when gas was 120/gal. bed was totally useless with f-glass tonneau on, marginally less useless with it off. Needed full bushing replacement and new brakes at 3 months of age . Other small irrithtions cropped up until I couldn't stand the sight of the thing. Crowning inslut was to blow it's transfer case waaaay up inCanada in the woods. By the time we drove back, it was appx. 500 miles past warranty and the $25 plastic part required about 1800 in labor to replace. It came back from the dealer with a new clunk in the rear and a strong vibration at 50+ mph and I traded it on a 250 Super-Duty with diesel. Isaw it around town for a while and it's back in front of the dealer's lot again. My first Dodge was great, those of late have been attractive nuisances

BrianW
04-01-2005, 11:06 PM
You a mechanic Katherine?
Automotive EngineerThat was worth the price of admission today! :D

PeterSibley
04-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Jack, just so you don't feel lonely amongst all this iron :D I drive a 1986 Toyota Hilux 1750 cc ,about 108 cubic inches.Slow, slow and slow but then I'm not impatient.32 mpg on the highway and it will carry a REAL ton, I know, I bought a ton of foundry sand in a measured bag 100 miles North and hauled it home at a steady 55 mph about 3 months ago.266,000 km on the clock...about160k miles I think and doin' just fine thank you very much. smile.gif

Jack Heinlen
04-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Peter,

My ex-wife had a Hilux when we first met. She traded it in for a newer Toyota, and regreted it.

32 MPG. I'm pretty sure we never saw that.

The Hilux was little, and it had that indomitable four banger. A quarter million miles without a rebuild in stride. Toyota made a reputation on superman motors, and rightly so.

The new Toyo had corrosion problems in the body, right off. We lived near the ocean, and the salt air just ate it alive. They've fixed that.

Small, simple, strong. My mottos. I'm a native 'conservative'. smile.gif

[ 04-02-2005, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

Ron Williamson
04-02-2005, 06:57 AM
More small truck support.
I have a '92 B2200(still Mazda smile.gif )with 255000Km on it.Other than some rust issues,it is still a decent reliable vehicle(and my local wrecking yard has about 15 of them).
For the occasions when I need a bigger truck I borrow or rent or make two trips.
R

cs
04-02-2005, 11:03 AM
I think it is great that Nissan, Toyota and Honda are entering the big truck market. But let me say this Chevy, Ford and Dodge have been building full sized trucks a long time. I've I'm buying a full sized truck I'll put my money on experiance.

Chad

Jack Heinlen
04-02-2005, 11:05 AM
I've I'm buying a full sized truck I'll put my money on experiance.
Nah, sorry, buy a Toyota. :D

Katherine
04-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I've I'm buying a full sized truck I'll put my money on experiance.
Nah, sorry, buy a Toyota. :D </font>[/QUOTE]CS, Forget Toyota, you want a Nissan, right. :D

[ 04-02-2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]

PeterSibley
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Jack ...I just reworked the numbers from litres per 100 kilometers which is our measure of fuel efficiency (or not).I forgot you guys have smaller gallons than we used to ......read 28mpg US.

Katherine.After 3 Toyotas,a 1 1/2 ton Stout,a deisel 2 1/2 ton cabover and now the Hilux I'd say they are damn good vehicles .Just keep on going.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-02-2005, 08:18 PM
My bet is that Katherine isn't working for any of the "imports" ;)

John Bell
04-02-2005, 09:53 PM
I think she works for Carlos Ghosn.

Jack Heinlen
04-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Peter,

28, by American measure, sounds about right for that truck.

The onliest car I bought new was an '82 Honda Civic. Good car, but what a rust bucket! I mean it only had to look at road salt to deteriorate. But I wanna say it got close to 40 on the highway.

Why haven't things progressed much since '82? Katherine? You're the automotive engineer. Can't we squeeze more out of modern engines?

Katherine
04-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by John Bell:
I think she works for Carlos Ghosn.And what's wrong with Mr. Ghosn? He's a very smart man.

Ross M
04-02-2005, 11:57 PM
I do not think Mr. Bell was questioning Mr. Ghosn's reputation, I think he was showing respect for the position Mr. Ghosn has achieved.

http://www.autocentre.ua/ac/03/38/images/06/Infiniti-6978.jpg

Rock on, Nissan.

Ross

seafox
04-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Katherine
the truck you have on order ; is that the color also you are getting?

in the small pickup areana I had a 81 chev luv and still have an 85 izusu p-up the first one was still ok when I left it behind except some shildern had drilled holes in the tires but mmechanically all that was wrogng with it was exazust system shot ( btw it ate exazust systems I think from back fireing when you took your foot off the gas too quickly) brakes were worn out and the engine had 35 25 and double 0 on the compression for the four cylinders
I am planing to take the bed of the 85 and replace it with a dump flat bed and I would like to add a second rear axel. maybe with chain drive from the front or slip on a half track for the great 6x6 traction <g>

the bed which was some rusted took a fatal hit when I droped a snowmobil on it. my fault for using a rope insteed of a chain to lift it
jeffery

Stiletto
04-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Who is Mr Ghosn?

Jack Heinlen
04-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Um, I don't know ****e from shinola, but where are the real four by fours? I know they are out there, but so many that pass as able are just good snow cars. Where's the ground clearance, the angle of attack, the locking transmissions?

What I would like is a genuine four by van. Toyota made some twenty years ago, so did Misubitshi. Four cylinder, rugged works, a nod to comfort. Give me that, not this homage to power that is so ubiquitious. I mean a real one, not AWD.

If I hear 250 horsepower! one more time I'm gonna be terminally ill.

This wonderful two wheel drive buggy I have has around 90 ponies. Works. Good works.

Listening Katherine?

Stiletto
04-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Jack, i have a 1994 version of the Mazda B2200 Xtra cab. I like it , and it goes well enough still to not think about replacing it for a while yet.
I like the idea of lots of horsepower , just dont want to feed that many horses.

Katherine
04-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Seafox,
Yep, I ordered it in that blue. Let's see if it shows up in blue. My father's pickup is a 1985 F350 with the box removed and it's rigged out for 5th wheel trailers. It looks kind of like a mini semi. He mostly just uses it to haul my sister's race car or numerous what nots for the family.

Stiletto
Mr. G is the head of Nissan. He brought it back from the brink of bankruptcy in 2000 to make it the most profitable and fastest growing auto company out there. He came over from Renault when they bought a large stake in Nissan. He is also notable because he is one of the few non Japanese running a Japanese company.

Jack, :rolleyes:
The market for a 4x4 van is small, too small to for a company to warrant the millions in development costs that it takes to bring a vehicle to market.

Jack Heinlen
04-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Jack, i have a 1994 version of the Mazda B2200 Xtra cab. As Peter pointed out, you have a Ford, not a Mazda. Good luck with it.

Mazda, like Toyota, like most Jap goods, once made things that had a few equals in German goods, but not many, and not for the money.

It goes along. Does Mazda still exist? Is the RX-8 built in Japan? The industry, the tech, the way of work in Japan circa 1980, ten years either side, was just very difficult to beat.

PeterSibley
04-03-2005, 02:47 AM
The market for a 4x4 van is small, too small to for a company to warrant the millions in development costs that it takes to bring a vehicle to market.
Uh...not really, the big boys must think you guys don't really want one ...not a big enuff motor :D Mitsubitsi (sp)have one here ,quite popular with the off road camping crowd,the ones who aren't driving converted Toyota Land Cruisers.

John Bell
04-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Ross M:
I do not think Mr. Bell was questioning Mr. Ghosn's reputation, I think he was showing respect for the position Mr. Ghosn has achieved.

http://www.autocentre.ua/ac/03/38/images/06/Infiniti-6978.jpg

Rock on, Nissan.

RossExactly! Fascinating man. Probably a bit scary to work for because he is so daring, someone who has no qualms about blowing up the status quo, but it's got to be exciting at the same time. You can't argue with the turn Nissan has taken under his watch or the exciting products they are turning out.

I imagine that you have to pretty on-the-ball to be successful working for Nissan these days.

[ 04-03-2005, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: John Bell ]

Katherine
04-03-2005, 02:11 PM
John
Mr. G isn't scary s long as you stay on his good side. tongue.gif Fortunately my department is highly profitable. Sales of Nissan genuine accessories alone topped 300 million for the 2004 fiscal year which ended on March 31st.

I've seen Mr. G several times in person and actually met him once. The story is kind of funny. They were adding a large additon to our building. He was there with his people to view it for it's grand opening. To get to the new section hwe had to walk past our department. I was having a rather frustrating time with one of the printers. It kept jamming when I was trying to print off an important report for the manager. Let's just say I wasn't treating the machine too nicely. In the midst of this machine vs. human temper tantrum guess who should walk by and say hello to me. Yep Mr.G, his people, the company VP, and my director. Fortunaltely Mr. G has a sense of humor.

As for Nissan only hiring the best and brightest, well I certainly hope so. :D

seafox
04-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I noted a pair of nissans todaas I delier se s one was a maxiuna and I con't quite remember the name of the other one but ut was similar and I relised that the family resemblance at nissan is full lines. then I thought of the "pregnant buick" it was less that 2 inches wide than the very popular model of the previous year yet suddenly full had become fat

it is intresting to me how come company own large chunks of other companys . after world war two ford came into ownership of a large part of mazda, GM owned almost half of izusu crysler owned a large part of mitsubisi. did they still own those shares durring the 70s when their was the "japansses invasion" if so it wasn't in the news why why it almost seems a conspericy and here america woried "our " auto industry was doomed...
jeff

ps Katherine it seems intresting that they would not give you a blue truck if that is what you ordered. have you read "wheels" by the same guy that wrote "airport" and "Hotel" I want to say alax hailey but wasn't that also the name of the guy who wrote "roots" and I think roots was written by a black X-navy cook and the first three were written by an englishman
Jeffery

Katherine
04-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Seafox
If the other car you saw was smaller then the Maxima, but similar, then it was probably the Altima. That Altima is Nissan's bread and butter. It may not have the flash of the 350Z, but it appeals to the masses.

Yep, the big 3 still own significant chunks of the Japanese imports. This has caused considerable embarressment for Chrysler in the past few years when the Japanese execs of Mitsubishi started getting arrested for deliberately hiding safety flaws in some of their vehicles. Mitsubishi stock tanked and so far Chrysler has refused to bail them out.

When I ordered the truck, since I was ordering through the companyh and not a dealer, I had to give them 2 choices of color. So far it looks like I'm supposed to get the blue. MY 2nd choice was black.

Joe (SoCal)
04-03-2005, 03:38 PM
OK I'm serious about this Jeep Gladiator. The more I look at this truck the more it says Hello, Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) smile.gif
So does anyone know if this is going to hit the market anytime soon? It looks like the concepts if pretty far along. Any idea of price. Come on ya resident car nuts I WANT THIS TRUCK :D

The concept is powered by a 2.8-liter, 4-cylinder common-rail turbo diesel engine that provides 163 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. The truck has a 6-speed manual transmission and a part-time transfer case.

The front and rear suspension are multi-link designs and coilover shocks are used at all four corners. The rear has dual, concentric springs and the vehicle has a 1,500-pound payload.

Ground clearance is 13.7 inches, with a break-over angle of 23.2 degrees and an approach angle of 47.6 and departure angle of 38.0 degrees. Front and rear tires are 34 inches and are mounted on 18x8 inch wheels.

Function & Utility

The Gladiator has an open-air canvas roof, removable doors and a fold-down windshield, all features that allow its occupants to feel in touch with the outdoors. Its expandable truck bed and extra storage compartments enhance the concept's cargo carrying abilities.

http://trucks.about.com/library/graphics/gladiator_concept_rearside.jpg

Functional Interior

The functional interior is Armour Green with Dark Slate Gray accents. The seats are weatherproof and the interior can be hosed-out for easy maintenance.

Inside Gladiator you'll find a GPS, a navigation system and a communications system.

http://trucks.about.com/library/graphics/gladiator_concept_interior.jpg

http://trucks.about.com/library/graphics/gladiator_concept_ftrow.jpg

HOMER DROOOOOOOOL tongue.gif

[ 04-03-2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

rbgarr
04-03-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm with you, Joe. I like it, but imagine it won't have enough towing capacity and will be too expensive for me.

Joe (SoCal)
04-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by rbgarr:
I'm with you, Joe. I like it, but imagine it won't have enough towing capacity and will be too expensive for me.The concept is powered by a 2.8-liter, 4-cylinder common-rail turbo diesel engine that provides 163 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. The truck has a 6-speed manual transmission and a part-time transfer case.

The front and rear suspension are multi-link designs and coilover shocks are used at all four corners. The rear has dual, concentric springs and the vehicle has a 1,500-pound payload.

Sounds like it will tow Dove just fine, and I love that it's a 2.8-liter,l turbo diesel engine that provides 163 hp YUMMMMM :D

[ 04-03-2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

John B
04-03-2005, 04:07 PM
"As Peter pointed out, you have a Ford, not a Mazda. Good luck with it."

They are Mazdas out here. As far as I know,designed by Mazda, Made by mazda. I do know that there are transitional( size) models of pickups ,cars and vans that are badged as Fords. But they are Japanese.
Its one of those world market contract things.

the only American Ford we get here is the Explorer.
And we get Jeeps. Much as I like the idea.. they have an unfortunate reputation here as "the mechanics friend"

mmd
04-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Joe, by the look of your bridge and the reponse of the town engineer, the truck you need looks like this ;) :D :

http://mountaintruck.com/G104801.jpg

Ypu'll need it to haul this around (among other things):

http://www.machinerytrader.com/images/machinery/fullsize/71739532.jpg

The combination ought to make getting your boats around pretty easy! :D

[ 04-03-2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: mmd ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-03-2005, 06:01 PM
So Katherine, what are the qualifications of an automotive engineer? Do you take a mechanical engineering degree first? Is it a four year course with some specialty courses? Just curious.

Katherine
04-03-2005, 06:53 PM
PMJ I have a BSME with some specialized coursework for the automotive work.

Stiletto
04-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Jack, my Mazda is without a doubt Japanese, they also market a Ford courier here that is the same, Japanese.
I think the latest variants which all seem to be diesel come from Thailand of all places.

LeeG
04-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Joe,,it's not right.

John B
04-04-2005, 11:00 PM
what isn't Lee? 120 KW in a great big unit like that ? ;) Mind you.. its all about torque with a diesel isn't it.

I got my old pickup out to do some 'work' the other day. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid163/p847de1dbf30d23f388586089905b307c/f4935efe.jpg
Its getting to the stage where its going to need some money spent and its the old "should I sell it" scenario. danged if I know.

Jack Heinlen
04-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Jack, my Mazda is without a doubt Japanese, they also market a Ford courier here that is the same, Japanese.
I think the latest variants which all seem to be diesel come from Thailand of all places. The world market! I believe that anything sold with the Mazda badge after about '92 is some bastard, maybe mostly Ford, but I'm not sure about that.

I was out fiddling with the distributor today. I have a sneaking suspicion that the distributor is wonky. It seems to be wearing cap buttons rather voraciously. Symptoms are a disturbing hesitation; like soon I'm going to quit running and leave you half way to the store, and not run again.

I pulled the distributor cap, and bent the rotor contact a bit, and it didn't cough again. But I do wonder.

[ 04-05-2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

L.W. Baxter
04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
John B, that's an intriguing boat you've got in the back of the pickumup truck. Must be one of the "tactless" sailboats I've heard about. No tacking or gibing, just flip it over and sail back the other way....

Oh, and the truck I want is an early 90's F-150 supercab longbed with a straight six, 5 speed, rubber floor, and a ray-dee-oe. Oh wait, I've already got two! :D

John B
04-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Thats a stealth sabot LWB. the oars poke out holes in the side and you lie down under the "cabin". ;)

Beowolf
04-06-2005, 08:45 PM
I looked at a Honda Ridgeline yesterday at the local dealership. The one in the showroom had the hood open and to my surprise, I noticed that the engine, a V6, is mounted SIDEWAYS in the engine bay! Having read somewhere that the Honda Pilot (Their midsize SUV) is built on the Odessey chassis I said to the salesman, "This is built on a minivan chassis, right?" To which he replied with a smile, "No sir, it is built on an excellent minivan chassis."

Jeff

Jack Heinlen
04-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Aside from the fact that Mazda parts are over-priced(they want two hundred dollars for a twelve inch downpipe out of the manifold! Granted, it's not as simple a part as it sounds, but someone is getting very rich supplying exhaust parts), I think the traditional configuration, RWD, fore and aft engine, rear differential, has much to recommend it. There's room to work on stuff. I know almost everything now isn't that, but I think it's basically sound, and that the switch to front transaxles isn't all its vaunted to be.

I don't work on my vehicle much anymore, but I used to. Got friendly with a guy who was refurbishing a Model A across the alley. Quizical, nice, professor of volcanology at University of Maryland.

He had the body off. The chassis was esentially what I've got out in the drive. Different suspension, but the rest was very recognizable, all the parts there. He had no intention of rebuilding the major bits. New clutch, some new seals. Didn't need major work.

Try replacing a clutch for under 1500 on one of these AWD, engine-transverse-mounted buggies. Most of it's labor. Someone with a bit of skill can replace the clutch on this Mazda in two hours.

Stiletto
04-06-2005, 09:17 PM
They dont have the Hondas here (yet) is it front wheel drive or four wheel drive?

Jack Heinlen
04-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Stilleto,

I didn't know the foray of Honda into the pickup market was based on a FWD chassis.

To answer your question, Hondas are all either FWD or AWD, not four wheel drive.

seafox
04-06-2005, 11:10 PM
what is the difference between all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive?
thankyou
jeffery

seafox
04-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Katherine
how long is the bed in the truck you have on order?
thankyou
jeffery

cs
04-07-2005, 06:08 AM
The other day while headed up to Knoxville I noticted that a lot of the trucks on the highway that were pulling trailers were Dodge. It appeared to be more than Ford and Chevy combined. Saw no imports pulling trailers.

Might mean something.

Chad

Katherine
04-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Jeffery,

I believe the bed is right around 5ft, maybe a little under.

[ 04-07-2005, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]