PDA

View Full Version : On another note... This land

Wild Dingo
04-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Not gettin into political or over patriotic mumbojumbo here... but...

What is it about your land that makes you love it so? that makes it special to your soul? Ive always wanted to travel outside of Aussie but never took the step cause it would mean leaving this great brown land theres an inner fear that if I leave I wont come back that a part of me will die without bein on this continent

Aussie is a bloody big place with all that the world has geographically right here somewhere... east coast north coast south coast west coast even the little pimple on its bum has something of the rest of the world within its borders... the red soil the plains the mountians the rivers streams artesian bores the deserts salt lakes streams and colors of the flowers birds and creatures... rain forests and wilderness

As we say down here its our land its our home land its Australia

Its pull is magical its spirit is within our beings... some can go and not return but me I cant imagine being anywhere else no matter how much I dream

So what is it about your country that makes it precious to your being?

[ 04-23-2005, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

paladin
04-23-2005, 05:15 PM
it's mine and we need to send all those damn immigrants home......

George.
04-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Rain... lots of it... and birds... lots of them.

Bugs too, God is inordinately fond of them, some of them stinging, but what can't be cured must be endured.

Did I mention rain?

Victor
04-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Y'know, I haven't heard that sentiment about the good ol USA lately. You used to hear it all the time from just about everybody. Your paean to Australia was primarily geographic, just like "America the Beautiful" and other patriotic hymns were, but now that the US looks exactly the same from sea to shining sea maybe it doesn't stir hearts as universally as it once did, not to mention the rabid right has managed to destroy any sense that we're all rowing together in the same boat.

Nor I think do as many Americans feel that we're the city on the hill, especially because we're not, not really, not any longer, not after Bush and his people managed to polarize the country and isolate it from the rest of the world.

Lots of other societies, including Australia, France, much of Latin America, and maybe even some Asian societes, may well have higher qualities of living even if they don't all make big bucks and drive Hummers. I'm always struck when reading about South America how well you can live without much money if you have a sense of style, which few Americans do. Most seem to think "style" and "expensive" are the same thing.

Bruce Hooke
04-23-2005, 06:45 PM
I may have trouble with my country's politics at times but I still love the land. There are a few very different areas of this continent that still draw my heart, each in their own way. The woods of New England are my home -- I love the rocky strewn landscape and the open hardwood forests and the changes from season to season. I love that the (summer) forests of New England are green and rich yet still open and easy to walk through (unlike both the drier forests of the west which always feel, well, dry, and the forests of warmer places like Missouri, where every open space seems to be filled with prickly bushes).

At the other end of the spectrum, part of my heart is held by the Southwest desert, where rock dominates the landscape and gets shaped into all sorts of wonderful shapes and patterns. There is something wonderful about the bones of the land being so visible.

Finally, the far north, the tundra and boreal forests, have always drawn me too. It is a landscape rich in vast sweaping vistas but also wonderful details. Everything living must go full tilt during the few non-frozen months in order to survive the long winters, so life tends to be stripped to its bare essentials. Also, the (summer) tundra brings together the feeling of LIFE so present in the New England forests with being able to see the structure of the land, as you can in the desert.

So, sorry Paladin, this immigrant is not going without a fight! :D

paladin
04-23-2005, 07:28 PM
I told 'em we shoulda sunk Columbus boats.....

Phillip Allen
04-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Paladin, ask me about the four corners area sometime. The Navajos have never been sent off their land so their culture is less changed than others...Wanna go there sometime...might see a chendi or two, see the ruins of the ancient ones and hear the stillness...timeless…

read Tony Hillerman...(and read around the edges of his stories)

[ 04-23-2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Phillip Allen ]

paladin
04-23-2005, 07:39 PM
been all over Phillip...when I came back from 2nd tour 'nam I bought a 66 T'Bird and didn't stop for over a year...spent a few months in Taos also..lotsa photos and sketches/drawings from those days....

Victor
04-23-2005, 07:43 PM
I enjoy floating around New York Harbor and the Delaware River in my vessel. Everything looks so much more pastoral than it does onshore. It reminds you how maritime New York is, or once was, not to mention you can see every kind of vessel there is, from kayaks to paddlewheelers to schooners to aircraft carriers. But you see very few people from the water. It's almost as if the city has turned its back on the sea and the river.

StevenBauer
04-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Victor! I just took this picture yesterday:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid165/p9f5c497b10ae80b2c49c0db842a49f16/f45e014d.jpg

Aircraft carrier Lexington on the right, Queen Mary II, George Wasington Bridge and, there against the Jersey side of the Hudson is a beautiful Schooner! Here's another shot:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid165/pa386e4a5e5a853365ba857cad8774538/f45e0158.jpg

I think it might be the 83' Mystic Whaler. Anyone know for sure?

Steven

Leon m
04-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Its so minty fresh ! :D ;)

Stiletto
04-24-2005, 05:28 PM
The bush clad slopes of the North Island,
the snow clad volcanic peaks;
the gentle climates of the northern valleys;
the sweep of ninety mile beach;
the grandeur of the Southern Alps with their snow fed braided rivers;
the salmon and trout fishing;and everywhere the sea is not far away.
The roar of the crowd when the All Blacks run onto the field,
The national mourning when we gave the America's cup away.
The tear in the eye on Anzac day.

Home

Phillip Allen
04-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by paladin:
been all over Phillip...when I came back from 2nd tour 'nam I bought a 66 T'Bird and didn't stop for over a year...spent a few months in Taos also..lotsa photos and sketches/drawings from those days....That's been the American dream for a lot of folks. I dream yet. I had a little taste of it a few years ago. Lived in my car and worked here and there in the southwest waiting for departure date to crew on a ketch around the Bahamas and down to Puerto Rico...finally fell out with the owner after three months and outa cash (more importantly) so I came back to Arkansas and a series of incidents and accidents ended up in the old family home where I was born...wish I could get loose again but have forgotten how.

paladin
04-24-2005, 06:36 PM
well....in my condition......Tana Mari is a bit much so I'm gonna need visitors...bUT....i think something like a 31-32 foot catboat with fixed keel and a camberspar rig would be really easy for one person to handle with lotsa comfort room as long as around the world izzint the goal...all the way down the caribean and could coast all the way to central/south america....and could snobird up the ditch...

captain's gig
04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
The sea oh the sea the wonderful sea
Long may she roam between people and me
And everyone hear should get down on one knee
Thank God we're surrounded by water

http://www.explorenewfoundlandandlabrador.com/Newfoundland-Photos/caplin-bay-path-stack.jpg

formerlyknownasprince
04-24-2005, 08:38 PM
The tear in the eye on Anzac day.
Just been there Stiletto ...... My wife, youngest son and I just got back from the ANZAC Day dawn service in Martin Place. My office overlooks the Cenotaph, so we had ringside seats (well, one seat, two standing) out on the little balcony, 50' up. To see 20,000 people assemble at 4:00am in the middle of the city for a remembrance service is something special.

I had Dad's medals in my pocket, but didn't wear them.

It's a special day - one that I've experienced on both sides of the Tasman - having lived in NZ for two years.

Ian

PeterSibley
04-25-2005, 12:18 AM
I had Dad's medals in my pocket, but didn't wear them. smile.gif smile.gif

Same here,Dad was AIF '39 to 45 , Mum ,NZ Army Nursing Corps.Mum's still with me 88 and just fine .
smile.gif

Norske3
04-25-2005, 04:10 AM
"Oh this land is MY land , this land is MY land....from California to the New York highlands"...EH?!...I've always disliked that song 'cause it doesn't go far enough East!...it leaves out New England....and MAINE..(the way life ought to be.. smile.gif )....so, I will take MAINE and the rest of you "damm Yakees" and "Redecks" can have the rest of "My land"....I've seen 80% of it...and Maine is all a Woodenhead Sailor needs. smile.gif

[ 04-25-2005, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Norske3 ]