PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera shutter lag

tealsmith1
11-26-2002, 02:09 PM
I've used my father-in-law's hewlitt packard and it's not bad but I hate the lag between pushing the button and taking the picture. This camera is about 2 yrs old. Do the new ones have this same lag? Is it just a hewlitt packard thing?

Wild Wassa
11-26-2002, 02:12 PM
How long is the lag? Has this always been the case, or could it be the sign of a flat (or going flat) battery?

Warren.

Meerkat
11-26-2002, 02:13 PM
Lag between the button and the shutter? Hmmm... that sounds odd. Often there's a wait before the button can be pressed again due to the camera scanning off, compressing and saving the image and that can be made worse by the electical architecture of the storage medium, but a button to shutter lag is strange. I have not noticed that on my Nikon.

Wild Wassa
11-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Following on from my first post, red-eye reduction will serverely hamper the efficient use of the camera, if there are battery problems, that's if you have it build-in. Switch it off, if you have it. It is only for amateurs anyway, ;) .

If you have a battery test built in to the camera, hold it down. Hold it down for a minimum 10 -15 seconds. This will put sufficient load onto the battery, this will show up faults that will not appear with only a one or two second jab.

Do you also notice the lag getting longer the more exposures that you shoot in a rapid succession?

Warren.

ps, Test all the batteries if you have more than one.

[ 11-26-2002, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

tealsmith1
11-26-2002, 02:39 PM
The lag is about .5-.75 seconds and it's always there. It's just enough to be annoying. It's hard to capture what you want when you have to anticipate a half second ahead. I'm not sure if it has red eye reduction or not. Like I said it's not my camera and I've only used it a few times. I just know I want to avoid it when I buy my own. I'm guessing the batteries are working fine.

Meerkat
11-26-2002, 02:40 PM
A long button to shutter delay could also happen if the camera has auto-focus as most digital cameras seem to. If it has a "half press" mode to start up the camera and do the focusing and you're not using that then the camera is taking the time to adust settings before opening the shutter. Possibly this functionality could be faulty too.

Wild Wassa
11-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by tealsmith1:
... ... I'm guessing the batteries are working fine.[/QB]I would advise against this guess. Batteries have a shelf life, did you say that the camera was 2 years old ? Plenty long! in any batteries life. What if the battery was sitting on a shelf for two years before it was put into the camera, now it could be 4. If the battery is lithium they work well then die quickly. If you don't use the camera for a few weeks they recharge slightly, giving a false sence of security.

For example with my canon F-1's, I think Canon recommend changing batteries every 20 rolls of 36, ... dead in one weekend. This I would do religiously, when working. Also check that in the battery compartment that there is not a buildup of oxide. Clean all terminals with a pencil erasor.

You could be on the lowest limit of your usable voltage.

Warren.

[ 11-26-2002, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Joe (SoCal)
11-26-2002, 03:02 PM
Our Leica Digicamera has very little lag rechargeable battery's and a mode that allows you to use the camera as though it had an auto winder on it taking 3 shots one after another. Oh have I mentioned again what an absolutely amazing camera it is :D

Wild Wassa
11-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Leicas are great Joe, the inherant contrast of the Zeiss (?) lenses does make them exceptional'

The objectives are colour balanced (chroma corrected) as well. This means that the subject's true colour will not change if you change lenses.

Warren.

[ 11-26-2002, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

imported_Conrad
11-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Hi- my HP has the same irritating issue. After reading the directions :eek: I discovered that the shutter button is two staged. The first half of the travel activates the auto focus, etc, while the second half sets off the shutter. Try pushing it down half way and holding it while you wait for the shot you're looking for, then click it the rest of the way. It's not instantaneous, but much better!! :D

tealsmith1
11-27-2002, 12:18 PM
Thanks Conrad and all. When all else fails, READ THE DIRECTIONS. I have no excuse. My father-in-law is legally blind and loves to hand the camera off to me. But I never got around to reading up on it. That's what you guys are for.

Thanks, I'll check the half-push focus feature out when he hands it to me at Thanksgiving. Have a good holiday everyone.

NormMessinger
11-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Nah, the half push feature is to lock the focus in case you want something that is not in the part of the image where the camera focuses. Of course it doesn't hurt to read the book when all else fails-- as it has mostly.

--Norm

Meerkat
11-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Nermal: that depends on the camera model and may depend on the mode smile.gif

capt jake
11-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Well I have the same problem with my Sony cybershot Dsc-s70! You point and shoot, and low and behold.... a shot of something too late!?

I love the camera, though it is no good for any motion picture, at all. If the focal point moves (with mine) your sunk. :(

Joe (SoCal)
11-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Why dosnt anyone listen to me :D Leica - Leica - Leica
http://www.leica-camera.com/imperia/md/images/leica/produkte/compact/kameras/digilux1/8.gif
The LEICA DIGILUX 1 at a glance

* High-speed aspherical Leica lens with optical 3x zoom
* 4-Mega-Pixel CCD
* Perfect harmony between lens, sensor, electronics and software
* Minimal exposure delay, extremely short image storage time and decidedly fast signal processing
* Largest LC display (2.5") with a resolution of 205,000 pixels
* Numerous manual setting choices for individual creative freedom
* Many familiar operating elements and functions adopted from analog cameras
* Memory card with exceptionally high capacity of 64 MB
* Powerful rechargeable battery with an active readiness time up to 3 hours
* Timeless styling
* Unusual scope of delivery

[ 11-27-2002, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

imported_Conrad
11-28-2002, 12:59 AM
Yup- on the HP the first position just turns on the auto focus, doesn't lock anything in. As you swing the camera around, the auto focus is zooming in and out, etc. but it's ready to go as soon as the second stage is activated. It's as if you're giving it a warning to get ready, cause you're going to shoot soon!