PDA

View Full Version : Puff the Magic Dragon

Billy Bones
11-08-2004, 03:55 PM
by Peter, Paul and Mary.

My daughter came home singing that song and I was swept away. I loved that song as a child. We looked up the lyrics on the net and have been singing along to a download of it this afternoon.

Except that, now that I've had a moment to study the lyrics, I'm a bit shocked.

What a load of co-dependant crap! No wonder my generation is so screwed up! Ahhh, parenthood.

Victor
11-08-2004, 05:45 PM
That's allright Bill, laughing at anything from the 60s is like shooting fish in a barrel. Still, go to a Dead concert and you'll be amazed how many hippies there still are. Or a biker concert, or a Farmaid concert. Amazing. I don't think the numbers have really diminished at all since the good old days, they just all went underground, like the Parrotheads I discovered lurking in that incredibly expensive marine supply place in Annapolis. They admitted that their numbers are in the untold millions, and they have clandestine ways of recognizing each other (such as Hawaiian shirts), but most of the time they keep a low profile, sort of like Masons and Communists!

[ 11-08-2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Victor ]

Jack Heinlen
11-08-2004, 05:54 PM
How about a gander at the lyrics Billy? I could google them, but will wait instead. I seem to remember something about that song which says this belongs over on the marijuana thread. ;)

Shifting into second, the American generation that came of age in the sixties is likely the most spoiled and narcissistic generation in history. We are just finding out what an anomally the post WWII era was.

We also lived with the sword of the H-bomb hanging over our heads. Strange times produce strange folks.

uncas
11-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Here, Here Jack! How about spoiled! :D

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Puff the magic
Drag on.

http://www.ohsinc.com/Marijuana_seeds_and_joints.jpg

Puff, the magic dragon, lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee.
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff, oh

Together they would travel on boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puff's gigantic tail
Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came
Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name, oh

CHORUS

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys
Painted wings and giants's rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his lifelong friend, Puff could not be brave
So, Puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave, oh

CHORUS

By Peter Yarrow and Leonard Tipton On Peter, Paul & Mary's
MOVING, IN CONCERT, and 10 YEARS.
Copyright 1963 Pepamar Music

[ 11-08-2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Know It All ]

Meerkat
11-08-2004, 07:20 PM
And let's not forget Drag, the magic Puffin... ;)

Concordia..41
11-08-2004, 07:37 PM
What a bunch of spoil sports!!! It's a charming song about a little boy and the power of his beliefs!

Hurrump! Next thing you'll be telling me there's no Tooth Fairy or that that song about a "horse with no name" is about heroin. :(

- M

km gresham
11-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Well, Margo, I agree with you here, too. smile.gif I don't see anything else in the song. Some people try to read way too much into things.

Little boys imaginations are wonderful. Don't any of you guys remember? ;)

Some people have been playing their records backwards for too long. :rolleyes:

[ 11-08-2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

Bob Smalser
11-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Puff the Magic Dragon http://www.ndu.edu/nwc/nwcCLIPART/US_AIR_FORCE/Equipment/Attack-Fighter_Aircraft/AC-130/bAC130USpooky03.jpg

Cosmo Lengro
11-08-2004, 08:59 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6303318487.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

km gresham
11-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Speaking of little boys and dragons, anybody remember the movie "Pete's Dragon"? Cute. Helen Reddy was in it and sang a song or two. Really cute movie. My boys really enjoyed it. smile.gif

BrianW
11-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Since I like being wrong... smile.gif

...I thought I'd mention that 'Puff the Magic Dragon' was orignally a DC3/C47. That name may have stuck around for the C-130 versions, but I believe those are known as 'Spectre'.

Go ahead, and tell me how much I screwed up again. smile.gif

Concordia..41
11-08-2004, 09:15 PM
And might I add that the moral of the song/story is what happens when you grow up and quit believing... :(

Victor
11-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Mindless perhaps, but codependent crap? Bill, how could you? Been studying too much sociology have we?

Paul Pless
11-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Kevin,

What is up with that pile of sift? You got nothing but shake there, and whata freekin pile of seeds. :D

Paul

John B
11-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Did you guys get Captain Pugwash ?
A kids cartoon with some rather ,Ahem, adult references.

Billy Bones
11-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Concordia..41:
And might I add that the moral of the song/story is what happens when you grow up and quit believing... :( Well, even my daughter (4) thought that it was sad that the little boy never came around anymore, but a moment later she found it kinda ridiculous that the dragon didn't go on to meet new kids, which is the point of healthy socialization. It's the journey, after all, not the arrival that matters.(I added that bit).

Billy Bones
11-09-2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by John B:
A kids cartoon with some rather ,Ahem, adult references.I'm not familiar with it, but then we don't have TV.

Please lord above don't tell me we've exported Sponge Bob Square Pants and his fun luvn friends from Bikini Bottom to the antipodes!

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Paul Pless:
Kevin,

What is up with that pile of sift? You got nothing but shake there, and whata freekin pile of seeds. :D

PaulPaul.....When it's the good stuff, you only need a little bit. :D

We had a great discussion in high school poetry class about this song but, It was the 70's and everyones mind was on drugs, literally. :D

For the record, I agree It's a wonderful childrens song. Much better than the "Barney Song" in my opinionated opinion. smile.gif

cs
11-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Okay guys, Margo and Karen have got it right. I'm suprised that no one else has said anything.

Puff the Magic Dragon is about the loss of innocence and nothing more. The poem that was the basis of the song was written in 1959 by Leonard Lipton while he was attending Cornwell. His roommate, Peter Yarrow (Peter, Paul & Mary) found the song in his typewriter and revised it for the song. Here are some quotes about the song.

Leonard Lipton (co-writer):

["Puff" is about] loss of innocence, and having to face an adult world. It's surely not about drugs. I can tell you that at Cornell in 1959, no one smoked grass. I find the fact that people interpret it as a drug song annoying. It would be insidious to propagandize about drugs in a song for little kids.
Peter Yarrow (co-writer):

As the principal writer of the song, I can assure you it's a song about innocence lost. It's easier to interpret "The Star-Spangled Banner" as a drug song than "Puff, the Magic Dragon." This is just a funny rumor that was promulgated by Newsweek magazine [who ran a cover story about covert drug messages in pop music]. There is no basis for it. It's inane at this point and really unfortunate, because even in Hong Kong it's not played because of the allegation it's about drugs. But I assure you it's not.

When 'Puff' was written, I was too innocent to know about drugs. What kind of a meanspirited SOB would write a children's song with a covert drug message?
Mary Travers:

Peter wrote the song in 1958 [sic], and it is not about marijuana. Believe me, if he wanted to write a song about marijuana, he would have written a song about marijuana.Chad

Wild Dingo
11-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Billy Bones:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by John B:
A kids cartoon with some rather ,Ahem, adult references.I'm not familiar with it, but then we don't have TV.

Please lord above don't tell me we've exported Sponge Bob Square Pants and his fun luvn friends from Bikini Bottom to the antipodes!</font>[/QUOTE]Well I cant say as Ive heard of Captain Pugwash but DEFINANTLY Sponge Bob has made it downunder... blast it to hell and back! what a load of drivel!

Puff is one of those timeless songs that show that dreams of childhood of pirates and castles in the air of fairies and goblins dragons and such will fade as a child grows... only a few of us still swear by them cause... THEYRE REAL PEOPLE!!

Few too few are the songs of such... heres the next part to this thread anyone remember the old Rolf Harris song "Two Little Boys"? what was the story behind that one?

and section 3 of this thread could be Rolf Harris's "Jake the Peg" or Chuck Berrys "My Dingaling" for that matter... now what were those two about? :eek:

brad9798
11-09-2004, 02:10 PM
... yea but when you play it backwards it has satanic messages ...

;)

John B
11-09-2004, 03:54 PM
according to this site.. The Capt Pugwash cartoon business was an urban legend too.
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm
well thar you go.

brian.cunningham
11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Bob Smalser:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Puff the Magic Dragon http://www.ndu.edu/nwc/nwcCLIPART/US_AIR_FORCE/Equipment/Attack-Fighter_Aircraft/AC-130/bAC130USpooky03.jpg </font>[/QUOTE]Funny I was thinking the same thing.

[ 11-09-2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: brian.cunningham ]

alteran
11-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Kerry and Puff, from an upcoming Newsweek article.

----------

"The traveling press continued to have doubts about Teresa. After one particularly disjointed speech at the Hotel Fort Des Moines in early January, press aide David Wade paced nervously while reporters snickered that the candidate's wife was on medication. But the press was warming to Kerry. He had begun traveling with an old friend from his antiwar days, Peter Yarrow of the folk group Peter, Paul and Mary. Kerry had played bass in his prep-school rock-and-roll band, and to relax he liked to strum a guitar and sing along with Yarrow. The old folkie seemed to make Kerry nostalgic and remember his roots as an authentic movement figure. (When Yarrow played "Puff the Magic Dragon," a CBS camera caught Kerry playfully miming that he was toking on a joint.)"

-------

Wild Wassa
11-09-2004, 09:36 PM
So 'Puff the Magic Dragon' isn't about a child's kite, it's about being as high as a kite?

A very influential song.

Warren.

Meerkat
11-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Bob Smalser:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Puff the Magic Dragon http://www.ndu.edu/nwc/nwcCLIPART/US_AIR_FORCE/Equipment/Attack-Fighter_Aircraft/AC-130/bAC130USpooky03.jpg </font>[/QUOTE]Newp, that's not a Puff. That's a late model AC130 gunship shooting a 105mm howitzer. Entirely different from the origional.

Puff was originally an AC47 shooting a GE multibarrel minigun. The platform was later a C-130, but it was still the GE minigun.