PDA

View Full Version : Sgt. Christian P. Engeldrum, 39,

Gary Lee
12-01-2004, 06:12 PM
NYC Firefighter in 9/11 Killed in Iraq

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041201/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_nyc_firefighter

Donn
12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Saw it on CNN. A real tear jerker. RIP

skuthorp
12-02-2004, 03:58 AM
What a waste!! :mad:

Alan D. Hyde
12-02-2004, 10:42 AM
He died fighting for a noble cause.

Americans and Iraqis yet unborn will have reason to bless his name, and to reverence his memory.

R.I.P.

Alan

km gresham
12-02-2004, 10:54 AM
"He was a great fireman," fire Lt. Brian Horton said at the Bronx firehouse where Engeldrum served. "He was 100 percent soldier. He loved his country, and he loved being a fireman. He was a lucky man he got to do what he loved."

A man who didn't let fear dictate his actions and his sense of duty to his fellow man was tremendous.

Joe (SoCal)
12-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Karen you left this part out -

"Engeldrum is survived by a wife and two sons " :( :(

[ 12-02-2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Alan D. Hyde
12-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Joe, ALL of us here survive in part as a result of the sacrifices of such men, in this and in preceding wars.

We owe them debts of gratitude that are beyond repayment.

AND, we can't denigrate the nobility of their cause, without detracting from the respect that we owe to their commitment and resolve. Whether we personally like their COMINCH, or not...

Alan

km gresham
12-02-2004, 11:41 AM
I often wonder what it is that makes some men and women so selfless and brave to risk their lives for the benefit of others whom they do not know.

We are fortunate to have such men and women among us.

I am certain his family knows what a special man he was and his courage and desire to help others was one of the things they loved most about him.
And what he left them will warm their hearts for the rest of their lives.

Gary Lee
12-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Joe, you appear to have some anomosity against Ms. Gresham, lodging your protest on everyones thread, regardless of the topic line, when she posts her thoughts. You do have the option of starting your own thread, and discussing this with her, without denegrading everyones elses threads. Thank you for your consideration and time to reconsider your darts on this topic.

He could have died in the rubble, leaving behind his wife and two children. He had a broader vision of serving and protecting the citizens of this country. Upon reading the article, he served as a police officer, and what would appear to be the armed forces before 9/11, making his cause a life long cause, not dictated by any man in the Oval Office. This demonstrates his real character, indeed.

Joe (SoCal)
12-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Gary I agree that this is not the thread to air such differences. So I removed my thread.

I will repost in a new thread.

Thank you

LeeG
12-02-2004, 12:31 PM
There are no end of events that can become catalysts for conversation. Gary, what makes this article notable for you? In a simple way it alludes to that manufactured link between Iraq and 9/11 that the administration capitalized on.

Karen,,the motivation is the same as what you do as a parent,,the need and circumstances demand the sacrifice.
Read about the sacrifices people in Iraq have made,,how do they do it? They have to.
So many stories.