Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeeG
    • May 2002

Confronting the face of evil

Hichens title got me to thinking about the concepts of battling evil. The pre-Islamic beliefs of Zorastrianism place evil as a force that must be battled daily. That the forces of good aren't handed to people on a platter to enjoy until the dish is done. Boy this axis of evil business gets embarassing if you misuse the cues.

The Shiite religion talks about the role of a just leader and the right of people to overthrown an unjust leader. The iranians are trying. Will the US help again like last time? Aint no shah like the old shah. So maybe it would be a good idea to actually build up the infrastructure in Afghanistan? Even if all they have is opium to sell.
  • LeeG
    • May 2002

I think one of the ways that Saudi Arabia was supporting Afghanistan was humanitarian aid in the form of oil,,I think it wasn't more than a few billion a year, just for oil ,but it helped Afghanistan and the Taliban. Right now the US is giving around a billion a month to afghanistan but not sure how much of that is infrastructure building beyond military. "send lawyers guns and money" or leave it to the UN?

Comment

• thechemist
      • Mar 2000

Originally posted by LeeG:
      Hichens title got me to thinking about the concepts of battling evil. The pre-Islamic beliefs of Zorastrianism place evil as a force that must be battled daily. <snip> So maybe it would be a good idea to actually build up the infrastructure in Afghanistan? Even if all they have is opium to sell.
      Considering that opium is mainly used by refining into heroin, do you consider that encouraging opium production is evil?

Would doing things to discourage opium production thereby be doing good?

Comment

• LeeG
        • May 2002

I'm with you on this one CHemist that refining opium into heroin is not a good thing.

Comment

• LeeG
          • May 2002

I should have been clearer,,the reasons for building an infrastructure is to develop an ally in Afghanistan because THEY need it,,not because Afghanistan has something we need like oil , or opium.

Comment

Working...