PDA

View Full Version : I found some VEGEMITE...

NormMessinger
05-21-2004, 03:12 PM
..product of Australia, concentrated Autolyzed Yeast Extract, 113 grams, $2.99 each. Now what?

I'll mail it off to LilMessChick. How should she serve it and how does it fit in to the Australian diet?

Paul Pless
05-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Worse than roadkill! Ugh!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Spread THINLY on buttered bread or toast, or make sandwiches with it.

That is not quite the end of the story; a teaspoonful can be dissolved in water to make a sort of broth. Frequently added to gravies, stews, etc.

The operative word is THINLY!

Alex says its better than Marmite; I cannot quite go that far, but it's OK.

JimD
05-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Use it to bait mouse traps - no offense intended, Aussies :D

Mike Field
05-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Best of all with butter on newly-baked bread. Don't spread it too thickly, but on the other hand don't be too parsimonious with it either.

Next best is on hot buttered toast.

Next best is in sandwiches with chopped almonds.

Note the subsidiary uses too -- a dessertspoonful (or more) in boiling water as an ersatz broth, and as a flavour enhancer in soups, gravies, and so on (in which role it's much better than MSG....)
http://www.vegemitecentral.com/veglouvre/birthofveg.jpg

"113 grams" (which is a soft conversion of a quarter-pound) leads me to think it's exported to the States in bulk, and packaged there.

Ah yes, you get it from Texas -- shop (http://www.about-australia-shop.com/vegemite.htm). (Pity they didn't give it to you-know-who when he was a kid, it might have stopped his brain atrophing at four years.)

All you want to know about Vegemite (http://raindael.tripod.com/australian/vegemite/info.html).

Bon appetit, LilMessChick.

[ 05-22-2004, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Mike Field ]

Bill Dodson
05-21-2004, 08:55 PM
I get migraines from MSG and was told to stay away from autolyzed yeast extract because it would likely also give me a headache-from-hell :eek:

Wild Dingo
05-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Norm... Be carefull mate... its ADDICTIVE!!! specially to nippers like lilmes they ADDORE the muck cant get enough of its bitumin tarish taste they cant... but its uses are many fold beyond just the toast thing as above

Why Im gonna try it as a tar to slather like the Norse Viking sailors used on their boats better than pine tar by gar should work a treat I reckon... an when yer out on the big blue and need a tasty riviver just lean over and lick a strake :eek: ...an its a great substitute for sump oil does wonders as a substitute for castra oil when yer needs a laxetive and best of all its a great midnight baby soother too! while shes snorin and yer holdin bub tryin to put it back to sleep just flop out the booby from its hiding place in the nighty whack a dop on the pointy bit and stick the bub to it and the little one will suck all night happy as larry :D

True fack! only thing better was rum on the dummy... nah not me the pacifier thingy! tongue.gif

SUE H
05-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Is that the same stuff Lucille Ball used in one of her most famous bits? "And it's so tasty, too!" Or am I having a senior moment? tongue.gif