PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp

Joe (SoCal)
11-28-2004, 05:54 PM
In an effort to promote more harmony between Oyster Mike and myself I suggest a recipe exchange. Jeff ( Ironmule) posted about a wonderful shrimp dish Mike and his wife made. It got me thinking as I went shopping today. The local food store had fresh black tiger shrimp. Large beautiful shrimp. So I bought them and prepared a simple shrimp & coose coose dish.

3lbs of U12 black tiger shrimp
2 tbl spoon of butter
4 cloves of garlic ( pressed )
1 vine ripe hot house tomato
1 Lemon
1/4 cup dry white wine
pinch of herbs de Provence I make my own and add a little sea salt to the mix.

Peel & de vein shrimp
In a HOT saute pan
add butter let it liquify but not burn
add garlic let it caramelize but not burn
Dice and add tomato
Grate outside rind of lemon then split the lemon and use a juicer to extract lemon juice
bring to a rolling boil and saute
add white wine
Remove shrimp DO NOT OVER COOK
reduce down sauce by 1/4

In a martini glass scoop coos coos (sp) ( everyone knows how to make coos coos ? ) place plate over glass turn upside down and pop cone shaped coose coose into center of plate. Arrange shrimp around plate. Poor sauce over shrimp

EAT :D

As Bubba said in Forest Gump there must be a million ways to prepare shrimp,. Lets hear some of them ;)

Meerkat
11-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Just as soon as my budget can cover $30+ of shrimp! :eek: That's almost a week of food on my current budget! :eek:

uncas
11-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Sounds damn good...Am saving the recipe...

TGP
11-28-2004, 06:06 PM
What's coose coose? :D Chris, you know anthing about that? coos........coos :confused: :D

Joe (SoCal)
11-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Meerkat it wasn't that expensive it was about $7.10 per pound so more like $21. Not a bad price for a Sunday meal for three people, we had all the other ingredients in the house. Figure if we went to McD for dinner it would probably be way more than that, and not 1/2 as yummy.

uncas
11-28-2004, 06:10 PM
TGP...it's a grain...used in salads and main courses...cook it like rice...well, boil it.
I don't find that it has much taste but that could be me....I like HOT food. Actually it looks like bleached fish eggs.

Phillip Allen
11-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Weather I'll ever get back to sea is quite debatable it would seem. However, if I do and must feed myself on fishes and crustations...how does one who dislikes sea-food learn to like it? smile.gif

uncas
11-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Phillip...What ever fish etc you buy...make sure it is FRESH...and hopefully never been frozen!
That's why I moived back to the Chesapeake after living in western NC. Plus too much pork out thataway.

Joe (SoCal)
11-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by uncas:
TGP...it's a grain...used in salads and main courses...cook it like rice...well, boil it.
I don't find that it has much taste but that could be me....I like HOT food. Actually it looks like bleached fish eggs.uncas Its like grits it's all about what you add to it I add A LOT. But that would be a whole other thread. I will tell you one thing I do not use water I use chicken stock and I lightly brown it first with a bit of olive oil ;) oh and I serve it hot like rice :D

TGP
11-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by uncas:
I don't find that it has much taste but that could be me....I like HOT food. Actually it looks like bleached fish eggs.Nope. That's cous cous. I wanna know what coose coose is. :D

uncas
11-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Joe...isn't it a wheat product..Grits is corn..
The chicken broth is the way to go with a lot...including mashed potatoes.

BrianW
11-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Ah shrimp...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/pbfcd37f461026ab7270c62bb0091410a/f6e46445.jpg

...sorry uncas, but we blast freeze'em at -20F...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/pd032ba8084b894827f65ccb0979d264c/f6e46439.jpg

Wish I had more, but we were selling them, not eating them. smile.gif

Joe (SoCal)
11-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Memphis did ya notice I put (sp) after my attempt at spelling something I KNEW I would get wrong :D

coos coos (sp) Brian send a few Meerkats way ;)

Venchka
11-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Yankees. Whatcha gonna do with them, hah???????

Shrimp. Boil 'em. Fry 'em. Maybe use them with rice in a shrimp creole. Mrs. Wayne makes a nice shrimp and wild rice dish with musrooms and artichoke hearts.

But shrimp and cous cous??????? :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused: The last time I heard cous cous mentioned was at a football game:

HOT BOUDAN...COLD COUS COUS...COME ON BULLDOGS, PUSH PUSH PUSH! We won't mention the century.

And furthermore, what the heck are black tiger shrimp anywho? Around here there is a brown shrimp and a white shrimp season. Don't know about black tiger shrimp. Sounds furrin to me. :D

Meerkat, if shrimp cost $10/pound in the Seattle area, I ain't coming to visit! :cool:

Joe, just pulling your leg, Bud! I'll see if I can rustle up Mrs. Wayne's recipe for the shrimp and wild rice thing. A parting word: CATSPAW

Wayne
In the Swamp. :D

[ 11-28-2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Venchka ]

Paul Pless
11-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Yankees. Whatcha gonna do with them, hah???????
LOL

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-28-2004, 07:13 PM
We ain't got shrimp in Lake Erie so they cost an arm and a leg here. :(

The doctor has me on a low salt(low taste :D ) diet, trying to bring my blood pressure down anyway. :rolleyes:

Yellow perch or walleye (baked) is all I'm allowed, no saltwater fish. :(

Oh well, You guys enjoy because you can. ;)

Peter Kalshoven
11-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Shrimp and Grits!
Dang it, where is Charles Gresham? Get his recipe... that be good eating!

Gresham CA
11-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Right here Peter. Good Monday morning everyone. I hope a good Thanksgiving was had by all.

Creamy Grits
Cook grits as you normally would but use 1/4 less water. When the water is absorbed add the rest of the liquid as heavy cream ,or you could use whole milk, and finish cooking.(Please note that even Quik Grits take time to cook right)

Shrimp Gravy
Cook 6-7 strips of bacon and set aside.
*see note below
Into the fat add 3-4 heaping tablespoons of flour and let that lightly brown.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
To the flour add milk a cup at a time. You want to make a gravy but you want it to be fairly thick because when you put the shrimp in they will juice out and thin the gravy some.
Add 1-2 pounds of peeled shrimp(more or less depending on how much you like shrimp) and cook until the shrimp are done, but don't over cook them.
Crumble the bacon and add to the gravy.
Serve over the grits.

*you can add minced onions and bell pepper here if you want but I don't think it works as well for breakfast if you do.

[ 11-29-2004, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Gresham CA ]

km gresham
11-29-2004, 07:14 AM
See why I married him - the man has a way in the kitchen! By the way I forgot to get anything out for supper tonight. ;) :D

Popeye
11-29-2004, 07:16 AM
the best shellfish grow in the coldest North Atlantic waters, and needs no gunk , all natures flavor is built right in. but for our misguided , shrimp-challenged, friends who need a little help, here is a trick for ya... brine the shrimp in heavily salted water over night in the fridge, rinse and pat dry and then prepare as for any of your recipes. brining will greatly enhance the taste and the texture of the meat and comes a very close second. good luck.

otherwise, you can prepare a red tomato salsa (seafood cocktail) with plum tomatoes (chopped drained), jalapena, salt , pepper, yellow onion, lemon juice and garlic all pulsed in a food processor to a medium consistency. serve with cooked (ever so lightly poached in salt water) and cooled shrimp over ice with lemon wedges. these things get inhaled at parties, so a warning is to not turn your back, even to go get a drink.

clubbing baby shrimp on the ice is wrong, i admit it. http://www.hannaford.com/party/brochure/images/Brochure_43.jpg

[ 11-29-2004, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: popeye ]

Wild Dingo
11-29-2004, 07:34 AM
I GOTS IT!!! your shrimp are our prawns!! ah no worries! fav tucker prawns are... love the tiger prawns king tigers or just plain bloody king prawns... only ones I cant abide are them coral prawns more like krill... but prawns... oooh yeah!

now best recipe for prawns... shrimp?... they gotta be FRESH mind...

is to...

wait for it...

get the barbie nice an hot...

wait...

splash a wee bit of oil on the hot plate...

hang on Im gettin there...

slash a tad of salt over it...

yep here it comes...

Toss another prawn on the barbie!!! :D

Actually I like me prawns boiled in salt water for a minute or so then shelled and eaten straight away... stuff muckin about with other things!... a bit of garden salad and prawns along with a nice cold beer on a fine hot day and bobs yer uncle nothin better :cool:

What the blazes is coos coos??? sounds like somthin that you need the head for! :eek: coos coos? poos poos! sounds like a hoon with a speach impediment tongue.gif

Peter Kalshoven
11-29-2004, 07:48 AM
I'm still voting for Charles' recipe, but he left some stuff off:

"For best results, cook at a campsite in Georgia, surrounded by Woodenboat fanatics, with a roaring campfire, and the sound of freshly served acoustic blues. Shrimp and Grits taste best after a great night's sleep in the piney woods."

There, that finishes that bad boy!

:D :D :D

(By the way, we need to plan a spring rendezvous!)

NormMessinger
11-29-2004, 07:51 AM
What the blazes is coos coos???

That would be the call of the Mourning Dove..
(Zenaida macroura).

Popeye
11-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Cous cous is a pasta dish. Rather than being in the form of noodles or extruded shapes, cous cous is granular. The raw pieces are roughly the size of coarse sugar grains, variants of the pilaf/pilau idea.

Basic Cous Cous

Ingredients

* 2oz (60g) or 1/3 cup dry cous cous per portion
* 7 fl oz (200ml) or 1/2 cup stock or fluid per portion
* 1 tsp oil
* spices and herbs to taste

Method

1. heat the oil in a pan. The pan needs to have a close-fitting lid.
2. fry any spices until coloured.
Fry whole spices first, then add ground spices, then wet flavourings (eg garlic or chilli)
3. add the stock to the pan, and bring to the boil.
Depending on your taste, this stock can either be proper stock or a stock cube added to each portion of water. If you use stock cubes, you're unlikely to need any extra salt.
4. add the cous cous and any dried herbs. Take off the heat, stir and cover.
Dried herbs should be added now to give them a chance to rehydrate. Fresh herbs can either be added halfway through soaking, or just prior to serving depending on the effect you want and the delicacy of the herb.
5. after ten minutes or so, the fluid should have been absorbed. Stir to separate the grains.
6. (optional) add a little butter or oil, stir and re-cover for a minute or two.
7. serve as a side dish

All these variants can be achieved by changing the stock, the spices, the herbs, the contents of the initial frying, and so on.

Italian Cous Cous

Ingredients

* stock: a light vegetable stock
* spices: garlic and black pepper
* herbs: any of basil, oregano, thyme, or bay
* extras: some sliced black olives or mushrooms; fresh plum tomatoes, roughly one or two per portion; a little good olive oil to finish.

Method Variations

1. after cooking the garlic and pepper, fry the olives or mushrooms before adding the stock.
2. slice the tomatoes and add them about half way through soaking
3. add some of the olive oil prior to serving.

Serve with a rich tomato sauce, or as a side dish with practically anything.
Indian Cous Cous

Ingredients

* stock: any vegetable stock
* spices: garlic and turmeric, and any of fenugreek, coriander seed, cumin seed, and cardamom
* herbs: coriander
* extras: 1 oz (30g) red lentils per portion; optionally, some peas.

Method Variations

1. cook the spices, then add the lentils to the pan and fry for a couple of minutes.
2. add water to pan to just cover the lentils, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and leave until the lentils have absorbed the liquid (usually about five or ten minutes). You may have to boil off the last bits of water, but be careful not to burn the swollen lentils.
3. add the stock and, optionally, some peas for a bit of extra colour.
4. herbs and finishing are as in the basic recipe

Serve with any curry in lieu of pilau rice.

Another good variant is to omit the lentils, just frying the spices and adding peas to the stock. This produces what I usually call yellow and green cous cous.
Mexican Cous Cous

Ingredients

* stock: any vegetable stock
Tip for UK readers: Knorr Mexican Spice stock cubes are a good option here and reduce the need for spice cooking elsewhere (dependent on taste, as ever). Check the ingredients, though, as they used to contain beef stock.
* spices: chilli, garlic, small quantities of coriander seed or cumin
* herbs: coriander
* extras: tinned chopped tomatoes (about half a 400g tin per portion); chick peas; tomato puree (about a tablespoon per portion)

Wild Dingo
11-29-2004, 09:57 AM
ALL RIGHT!! now I know forever more what the blazes coos coos is! thankee kindly popeye me ol matey ;)

And the taste is like???? without the addeds? but then it seems its only eaten with the addeds... mmmm must investigate this coos coos monkey dung could be good tongue.gif

Venchka
11-29-2004, 10:27 AM
I looked it up in my Funk & Wagnalls...actually, it was the New Random House Dictionary about 4 inches thick...

cous-cous...steamed semolina

Got it? Ya folla?

Edited to add: No self-respecting Coonass is going to have a martini glass to shape the cous-cous. Would an empty beer can do? :D

Wayne
In the Swamp. :D

[ 11-29-2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Venchka ]

Popeye
11-29-2004, 11:21 AM
see also bulgar wheat, another type of field grass that's been cooked into a gelatinous blob.. goes great with boiled celery.

Meerkat
11-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
Meerkat it wasn't that expensive it was about $7.10 per pound so more like $21. Not a bad price for a Sunday meal for three people, we had all the other ingredients in the house. Figure if we went to McD for dinner it would probably be way more than that, and not 1/2 as yummy.I wish I could afford your budget! For $21, I could feed 3 people all day sunday and they would not feel skimped on!