PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi intelligence files...

Wiley Baggins
04-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Now Pat Cox beat me to this on another thread so I'll open this with a quote from his post there.

Originally posted by Pat Cox:

<snip>Reporters from right wing British rags don't just go rummaging in Iraqi intellence service offices and find supersenstitive documents, how stupid must you think our CIA is to have that happen? It has all the stink of a deliberate intelligence leak.<snip>
Does it strike anyone else as remarkable that the Oil Ministry, and I assume other governmental buildings of interest, were protected and yet offices of Iraq's state (external) intelligence apparatus were open for browsing with damning files conveniently scattered about?

Paul Denison
04-27-2003, 10:41 PM
Sources please.

ishmael
04-27-2003, 10:46 PM
I don't know. I've said this, and I mean it. The reports make sense to me, feed my view, and so I'm susceptible (how do ya spell that good word, that ain't right :D ). I will also be first in line to denounce false reports.

[ 04-27-2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Wild Wassa
04-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Wiley Baggins:

Does it strike anyone else as remarkable that the Oil Ministry, and I assume other governmental buildings of interest, were protected and yet offices of Iraq's state (external) intelligence apparatus were open for browsing with damning files conveniently scattered about?

Wiley and Paul, This has been detailed on the BBC news reports (on World) on quite a few occassions and footage shown.

I looked at the news reports and thought this can't be right. No troops around, and the BBC's journo rummaging through sensitive documents. Victim's names open to all those on the scene. Sensitive documents blowing across courtyards and 'damning evidence' found by chance, found in a courtyard, when noone else is around. Re-visiting I think that is called.

Details of Iraqi payments of $250,000 (?) to a British MP, ... who just so happens to be against the war. Found in a courtyard, when nearly everything else in the building had been burnt, including the building. Dodgy ?

Warren.

ps, I had to be true it was on TV, :rolleyes: . Do you remember the days when Historians would use newspapers as a source of historical record ?

[ 04-28-2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Wiley Baggins
04-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Paul,

I hope you'll accept a secondary source ("The Washington Post") as it turned up first when I ran a quick Google search.

washingtonpost.com
Iraq Paid British Antiwar Leader, Paper Reports
By Glenn Frankel
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, April 22, 2003; 4:29 PM

<snip>Telegraph correspondent Blair insisted the papers were genuine. He told the BBC: "I think it would require an enormous amount of imagination to believe that someone went to the trouble of composing a forged document in Arabic and then planting it in a file of patently authentic documents and burying it in a darkened room on the off-chance that a British journalist might happen upon it and might bother to translate it. That strikes me as so wildly improbable as to be virtually inconceivable."

But Galloway said that Blair acknowledged that the other contents of the ministry had been completely destroyed. "He couldn't explain why these files were unburned and un-destroyed," he told the BBC. "And if you follow the Telegraph group you'll see that the previous Sunday they came up with intelligence issues surrounding France, the week before that, intelligence issues surrounding Russia and this week it's me.<snip>

The balance of the article can be found at washingtonpost.com-Iraq Paid British Antiwar Leader, Paper Reports (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A15009-2003Apr22?language=printer)

Wiley Baggins
04-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by ishmael:
I will also be first in line to denounce false reports.Perhaps (if they are forgeries) it won't matter, as by then the momentum of the stories will have succeeded in scattering the desired pins. It's apparently already bowled over whatever pins might have remained standing in your mind.

ishmael
04-27-2003, 11:17 PM
Oh BS Wiley. You speak me truth, and I'll listen. It's the grade and shade we will argue about.

Wiley Baggins
04-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Oh BS Wiley. You speak me truth, and I'll listen. It's the grade and shade we will argue about.Jack,

What does the above mean in the context of what I said following this...

Originally posted by Ishmael:
I don't know. I've said this, and I mean it. The reports make sense to me, feed my view, and so I'm susceptible (how do ya spell that good word, that ain't right ). I will also be first in line to denounce false reports....posted by you? I am not trying to "BS" you. You implied that the reports "make sense to [you] and feed your view." Was my assumption that you still had pins to scatter incorrect?

ishmael
04-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Sigh. I wanna go sailing. Wanna go with Wiley? Let's wear wool.

Wiley Baggins
04-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Sigh. I wanna go sailing. Wanna go with Wiley? Let's wear wool.Or wetsuits.

ishmael
04-27-2003, 11:44 PM
I think good 'oilies' would do.