PDA

View Full Version : The axe man cometh....

Ed Harrow
12-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Not to be trite, Free at last, free at last, great god I'm free at last!

Yup, after 18 years, god knows how many countries, states, and days and nights away from home, Helix showed me the door today...

We don't have lots in the bank, but we are (with the exception of a small mortgage) debt free.

So, if you see a chance for me to make a million in the woodenboat business please let me know. ;)

PS: If you've given me your phone numbers, addresses, etc, etc, I no longer have them...

[ 12-12-2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Ed Harrow ]

jack grebe
12-12-2002, 03:10 PM
how to make a million in the woodenboat biz........
START WITH 2 MILLION

Hughman
12-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Debt free???
Ha! you own a boat!

smile.gif

Oh, and congratulations on your parole! (You must still report back here for a daily parole report)

[ 12-12-2002, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Hughman ]

Wayne Jeffers
12-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Ed,

I know it's not unexpected, but it still has to be a shock. I'm really sorry to hear it. :(

I hope another company recognizes your skill and ability right away and you soon end up with a job that better suits your character.

Best wishes, my friend, to you and Sheryl and Zach.

Wayne

Dave Fleming
12-12-2002, 03:22 PM
What perfect timing!
Here's your hat, there's the door and oh bye the way....Merry Christmas.
I just love ****es like that.

Your home e-mail still good?

Matt J.
12-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Ed, Not to be trite, but are you really relieved? There are so many days I wish my dad would show me the door I could scream. I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, sir... but it does seem like it would be a great feeling of relief hidden among the concern over finances. Which is kind of sad. I work solely for the check - not even a little for the enjoyment that's not there. You are a rather highly qualified fellow so I haven't any doubt that, should you chose to, you'll quickly find another employer.

You could chase that dream now, you know. I'm really green with envy. You can chose your next employer, start a fresh track...

Want my job? The hours are long, the clients are all graduates of a$$hole school par excellence, and there's a long list of jobs that are overdue, but the pay is fair for the industry. smile.gif

Figment
12-12-2002, 03:30 PM
There's quite a bit of that going around. A friend of mine learned this morning that his job terminates on Dec. 31.

He found out by reading it in the newspaper.

Roger Stouff
12-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Darn sorry, Ed. Any prospects other than boat building business?

Greg H
12-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the ranks of the unemployed, semi-employed and self employed. ;) You needed more time to work on Pheonix anyway.

Best of luck to you and the family. I'm sure all will be well.

Memphis Mike
12-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear it ED. I'm confident you will
be led in the right direction.

ishmael
12-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Best of luck with the change Ed. It sounds like it was somewhat expected, but I'm sure it's still a shock. Seems to me you wrote about this proverbial handwriting over a year ago, but you were the axer, not the axee.

Now may the time to ask yourself, "What have I always wanted to do, but couldn't because of that damn job." :eek: :cool: :D

Jack

Chadd Hamilton
12-12-2002, 03:56 PM
Ed, it sounds like you're in a good position to take this down-time and make something good of it.
I'm sure you've got lots of things that you've been meaning to do for a while, so now's yer chance to catch up.
Whatever you decide, I hope you have a very relaxed and enjoyable holiday!

Chris Coose
12-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear it Ed. Change sucks most of the time. Here in Portland most give messages of congrats, knowing that when one door closes, others open.

On a bit of a different note. A day or two ago I risked going out on a limb to state that I thought the economy was in the shi*ter and a few WBF brothers jumped all over it.

mmd
12-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear this, Ed. I hope that you land on your feet in a field of clover in short order. In the meantime, if the old adage that "spare time is the most difficult form of wealth to acquire" holds true for you, spend your newfound riches wildly and frivolously with your family over the Christmas holidays. Serious & dour reality can be held at bay until January.

Mike Field
12-12-2002, 04:22 PM
What Chris said, Ed -- every threat presents an opportunity. Now's your chance.

Please let us know your new email address as soon as possible.

Wayne Jeffers
12-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Mike and others,

See Ed's updated profile for his home e-mail.

Wayne

brad9798
12-12-2002, 04:36 PM
Everything happens for a reason ... you will see this.

Keep your chin up!

Brad

Alan D. Hyde
12-13-2002, 11:29 AM
When we stumble Ed, it gives us an opportunity to fall forward.

When we're in a comfort zone, cash-wise, even though we're uncomfortable otherwise, we often don't make the effort to pull ourselves ahead.

Now your circumstances have made that easier to do. Take advantage of the opportunity.

Good luck.

And Godspeed.

Alan

Concordia..41
12-13-2002, 11:45 AM
I note the changes on your profile, but believe it would be more accurate if you updated it as follows:

Occupation: Wood boat restoration project consultant; web page designer; builder of magnificant boat sheds; wonderful husband, father, foster parent, and friend to all

Regards -
- M

Ian McColgin
12-13-2002, 11:49 AM
It is a scarey time. We're all hoping.

Scott Rosen
12-13-2002, 11:55 AM
Scary time. I'm with Margo. You've got a lot going for you.

Wild Dingo
12-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Margo you forgot... Celestial Navigation trainer/mentor extradinaire... should be on his resume as well

And Ed... change is great!!! grasp it by the gronicles and squeeeze like billyoh and see what happens! :D

Love to you the lovely missus and Zachy the man! HEY and the one and only Finbar the aweflaminsome! :cool:

Take it easy
Shane

J. Dillon
12-13-2002, 01:13 PM
Ed ,

Your first sentence say's it all. Free etc.

Now you can seek something more to your liking. Let me site you something I can speak from:

My daughter got laid off from a good job with an upcoming firm, along came 911 . This company did a tail spin and took her with it last Aug. Did she get disheartened hell no she got on the phone and net worked, net worked, net worked,
did I say NET WORKED?

Guess what she starts with Big blue next monday and with better benefits. Age 43 and two kids.

I know you have lots of experience and friemds and am sure you will be doing something with in .... you fill in the blanks.

You are starting the process right here somebody may pick up on you in this family and OH by the way did I say NET WORK ? ;)

Have a great Christmas and a better New Year

JD

Ed Harrow
12-13-2002, 01:27 PM
Too bad there is insufficient room in the profile box for all that, tho I most sincerely appreciate those comments, and have done my best at fitting them in. smile.gif

Jack, networking (in the traditional sense) you bet. Only problem right now is uncertainty as to what to do. I've contacted most of my friends within the small business that I worked in, but I'm not at all certain that's where I want to be. I certainly won't be in a business that focuses itself on the semiconductor market. I've other comments, too, but not for posting in public (nor in print either, so don't email me asking what they are, LOL).

I sincerely appreciate all your thoughts and good will.

Best to all,

Ed & Company

Joe Dupere
12-13-2002, 01:37 PM
Ed, I can't remember if SWMBO, Jr. is in college now, but I seem to recall she is. If that's the case let the financial aid office know about the change. They might adjust her eligibility for some kinds of financial aid. Then again, they might not, but it never hurts to give it a shot.

Joe

NormMessinger
12-13-2002, 01:40 PM
Plus, it Zach will be ready for a paper route before you know it.

Best wishes.

--Norm

Sam F
12-13-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Ed Harrow:

Yup, after 18 years, god knows how many countries, states, and days and nights away from home, Helix showed me the door today...
After 18 years? That's got to hurt. It's such a shame that so many of us are considered disposable.
Take heart!
You're smart guy who'll end up on his feet. smile.gif

rodcross
12-13-2002, 03:02 PM
I never REALLY lost a job, but there were times I read the writing on the wall and boogied before the axe fell. On occasion, there were some lean periods, but I never left a job where the next one was not better and the pay was not better.

There's only one thing you have to watch out for. Don't let any of this be some distorted reflection of you. The company looked around and thought 'Who's getting paid the most? Who do we have to make the largest contribution to the pension for? How much do we save by eliminating the position...or the person?" It had nothing to do with you.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the company called you in a few months and asked you if you'd be willing to do a little freelance work. When they do, take your old weekly salary, times three, divided by 30, and tell them that's your hourly rate.

htom
12-13-2002, 03:07 PM
It's like you've been released from prison, I suppose. You know all of the rules, and now you're free of them.

Best wishes, Ed, follow those dreams.

Joe (SoCal)
12-13-2002, 04:25 PM
ED Brother I feel for ya more than you know. I got to jet to my waitering / bartending gig now but hang in there man.

Ed Harrow
12-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Joe, that is on top of the to-do list. Actually planned to do it today, but then didn't have name, phone, etc. It's all tucked away in SWMTMH filing system, in which I am not welcome.

I also acknowledge the thoughtful, insightful words of another who doesn't wish for others to see this side of him. Thank you.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-13-2002, 05:53 PM
Ed... I have been where you are... get right back on the horse. You are, no doubt in my mind, a very good rider. From what I know of your honest straightforward character, You would be an asset to any employer. smile.gif

Memphis Mike
12-13-2002, 08:51 PM
I sometimes bitch heavily about my job
but I haven't ever been laid off in the
16 years I've been in maintenance work.
Knock on wood.

It's seen me through two economic downturns
now.

They can build all of the high tech equipment
they want to but it appears to me they have
yet to build the high tech equipment to repair
said technology.

I'm a necessary evil.

Just a thought Ed. ;)

Ross Faneuf
12-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Best of luck. I hope this leads to a happier new year.

Mr. Know It All
12-15-2002, 08:42 PM
ED.......I worked at a job I hated for 20 years. Pressure, travel away from home and ungrateful employers. Finally health reasons forced me to look for something else at 40 years old. I'm kicking myself for wasting 20 years. Change,while sometimes scary, can turn out to be very very good. Everything happens for a reason.
Peace----> Kevin in Ohio

Paul Scheuer
12-16-2002, 10:25 AM
It was after 25 for me. I got a letter a couple weeks after I departed saying that they forgot to give me my 25-year award, and that I could pick it up any time. I selected the clock prize, to remind me that this too shall pass.

For me, it was the best thing that ever happened. Good luck Ed.

Mike H.
12-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Ed, I am so sorry to hear this. Heartless thugs, right at Christmas! I hope, as everyone else has said, that this turns out to be a good thing, and that you soon find work that you love. We're all cheering for ya!
Again, my condolences.

Tar Devil
12-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Ed, so sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers are about all I can offer, but in abundance.

My only advice...
Stay away from the airlines!!

Later,

Phil

Rich VanValkenburg
12-16-2002, 12:55 PM
I'm finally back in town after being away for a few days, and your post hit me in the face. I wish I could say something inspirational, but I know the feeling. One day you have a job that drives you crazy at times, a tiring schedule, and details to worry about. Next day it's gone, including the worry. Might be the best way to look at it, no worries!

Rich

John of Phoenix
12-16-2002, 01:33 PM
Talk about Hum Bug. :(

If I may be so bold, I spent a few days with a book called "What Color is Your Parachute?" when I contemplated my career change. It will give you some ideas on where you may want to ply your many skills in your next career. You'll be fine.