PDA

View Full Version : How one thing leads into another

Joe (SoCal)
04-17-2004, 02:23 PM
So this is a little story about how one little thing leads into a big project. SWMBO found this nice antique mahogany mirror that she thought would look great in the downstairs bathroom. The existing mirror is some crapy medicine cabinet that we have always hated. So I go to hang the new mirror. First I have to remove the old one. So off it goes and lo and behold behind it is an unpainted busted up sheetrock wall. So to the spackel can I go. Fill and sand and fair the best I can. Then of course I cant leave the wall like that so I have to paint it. So paint the whole bathroom I do. Then We start to think hey where am I going to put my stuff, since we have no cabinets now. You see this bathroom is MY bathroom, and I have shaving and guy stuff all about. So off to Restoration Hardware. We pick up some nice matching wooden shelf's and then SWMO says ya know those wall sconces are really ugly. So we pick out some new sconces. Then it just goes blurry from there. New towel rack new toilet paper holder, I had just been using the roll no holder for years. New toothbrush and glass holder. WHEW OK then back home and I spend the better part of this beautiful SUMMER like day putting all this together. But I have to admit it does look much better.

Funny what a mirror can do to spruce up the place.

BEFORE:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid112/p6b980f810c244f7f006814fc37ef2461/f8facea9.jpg

AFTER:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid112/pd383480fd12ecd0cd12969ab236cf1aa/f8faceb1.jpg

[ 04-17-2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Leon m
04-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Wow, what a nice job ! It looks SO much better.
You really classed it up. :cool:

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-17-2004, 03:06 PM
:cool:

Dutch.Rub
04-17-2004, 03:07 PM
...are you expecting Oyster this week end?....

Joe (SoCal)
04-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys. Addition to the little story.
I come home last night and SWIMBO has removed all of my guy's stuff from those thoughtful shelf's and replaced it with candles and a little silver photo frame. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This is going to result in one of those spousal wars where I replace the candles with shaving cream and deodorant as I did this morning, and now we wait for her move :D

imported_Daniel
04-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Joe - sarcasm, can you actually see anything in those photos? Perhaps a flash would have been in order.

Hwyl
04-18-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
Thanks guys. Addition to the little story.
I come home last night and SWIMBO has removed all of my guy's stuff from those thoughtful shelf's and replaced it with candles and a little silver photo frame. :D Maybe she's planning on having her evil way with you :rolleyes:

Joe (SoCal)
04-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Daniel:
Joe - sarcasm, can you actually see anything in those photos? Perhaps a flash would have been in order.Must be your computer. Mine is clear as a bell. :D

[ 04-18-2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

huisjen
04-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Why does a Guy need a toilet paper holder?

Dan

Dutch.Rub
04-18-2004, 02:23 PM
....or toilet paper?...oh yeah...oysters in town....that toilet will be well used......

Mrleft8
04-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Gotta agree with Daniel on this one Joe... Maybe if those little candles had been lit..... :D

Bruce Hooke
04-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Ah yes, "scope creap"!! The bane of any project. :D

Heck, at least you didn't have to redo the floor!

BTW - I thought my monitor was a bit on the dark side but, while these pictures are a bit dark, I can certainly see all the relevant details.

rbgarr
04-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Joe-

I see you've got a towel rack now, and a nice one it is. Is that to teach you to stop dropping your wet towel on the floor? ;)

How you even GOT to the faucet knobs in the 'before' arrangement is a mystery. :confused: I can't even see them. Perhaps washing isn't your highest priority?? (nyuk nyuk)

My wife would complain that the toilet paper roll is put on the holder backwards... it should unroll off the wall side. Don't ask me why that's important, but it is chez nous. :rolleyes:

I bet your wife is pleased. :cool:

[ 04-19-2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]

Noah
04-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Just to clear up the image brightness thing, Macs tend to show colors a bit lighter than PCs do. IE an image that looks fine on a Mac is dark on a PC...

Noah

Dutch.Rub
04-19-2004, 04:40 PM
....I started picking at a zit one fine day....8 years later I found myself in a Copenhagen whorehouse....

seafox
04-19-2004, 05:36 PM
photos look fine on my computer, actually I don't see as much light as other people ( ie when judging photos I tend to print too light)

interesting story and you did do a nice job

they did a survey that 52 percent of the people put the rool on the right way so it coome off the outside. my folks did it the other way like your wife because it is harder for little kids to unroll the whole roll.
jeffery

rbgarr
04-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Must have alot of time on your hands in Utah if folks spend time responding to surveys about toilet paper roll installation. ;) :D ;)

Concordia..41
04-19-2004, 07:20 PM
And now all that's missing is a new vanity ;)

http://canadianhomeworkshop.com/photos/proj_bath_vanity.gif

Material list and specs at Vanity Plans (http://canadianhomeworkshop.com/proj_bath_vanity.html) :D

Joe (SoCal)
04-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Just took some photos with the flash on let me know how they look. From now on to post photos for you guys Ill leave the flash on :D I never knew it was hard to see.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/p34516f27e58b0c474a877c15627c46a8/f8f3813c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/p6d947e17484cfd8e7868cea8a71cf507/f8f3813f.jpg

Mrleft8
04-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Concordia..41:
And now all that's missing is a new vanity ;)

http://canadianhomeworkshop.com/photos/proj_bath_vanity.gif

Material list and specs at Vanity Plans (http://canadianhomeworkshop.com/proj_bath_vanity.html) :D I think Joe has PLENTY of vanity already! :D
Nice job Joe! Now that I can actually SEE it! ;)

Joe (SoCal)
04-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Now this is a vanity / Sink you can wash a baby in - I LOVE IT !!!.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/p3e287f233acfc581133af05e146c7268/f8f1d43c.jpg

So here is a little story about how there are moments when you realize you will never EVER measure up to certain OTHER people. The above photo was taken yesterday at a new listing my office just got. A 8,000 sq. Ft 1880s Victorian that will be listing in the $2.5 mill range. The owner and his wife are very wealthy and this is their third restoration. They have done amazing jobs on all of them. I can go into the laundry list of insane things they have done in restoring this house, but let me just say its flawless. F&%^king FLAWLESS. They RESTORED the home from the timber to the nickel plated hardware. Give you an idea they had a master carpenter from Maine lived on the property and set up a portable mill just to do the all custom work. The walls are all plaster including the plaster crown moldings. The light switches are new replications of the push button switches originally used, along with all new wiring. The HVAC is a not normal its an ALTAR in the basement, you need to pray before it, its so beautiful. They went so far as to take out all the old cast iron radiators and then bead blast them back to new and replace them to work in conjunction to the forced hot air and AC. Which by the way comes through old style floor grates? There was absolutely no expense spared to do this job RIGHT. They removed and replaced the whole clapboard and shingle siding. Then had a person inject foam insulation though out. Get this, the first person they used shot the wrong mix and it expanded and blew out the interior walls - remember they were all redone in plaster not sheetrock, including 6 months of hand done plaster crown moldings. They simply removed the foam and started over. New $late roof and copper leaders and gutters. On and On and on. You realize you will never EVER measure up to certain OTHER people.

The house is perfect and for the first time, I feel sick coming back to my house with all its problems. They say working in high end real estate this will happen. But I just have to tell you the attention to detail in this home is mind blowing it makes the TV show this old house look like rank amateurs.

imported_Steven Bauer
04-20-2004, 09:56 AM
What's up with this - "I'm about to post tons of questions about washers and dryers and first day sailing in the new skiff photos" - and then nothing. :( What kind of mean teasing stunt are you trying to pull here? You took the skiff out sailing, without inviting any of us, took pictures and now you're taunting us with the possibility of seeing them. Shame on you. :D

Steven

Oh yeah, I just moved our laundry hookups to the second floor and bought the Maytag Neptune full size frontloading stackable W/D set. Fantastic!