PDA

View Full Version : Roof caulk

ishmael
10-15-2005, 08:27 PM
With all the rain I have a leak around a skylight. It's a small plexiglass bubble, maybe twelve inches on a side. It's caulked now, but it's leaking. I figure I have to dig out the old gunk, but what do I replace it with?

Katherine
10-15-2005, 08:32 PM
More caulk. tongue.gif Seriously. I was at HD today and they have about a dozen different kinds based upon your usage requirements. Go there, read the tubes, ask the clerk (look for an older one, they appear to have actual brains) and buy one. I'm sure if you wait around here you'll get advice on just which caulk to by. Some will be helpful, some will be sanctimonious.

huisjen
10-15-2005, 08:35 PM
It depends on what's leaking. If the bubble is cracked, you replace the whole thing. Also look at the flashing. Generally speaking though, roof mastic-tar-cement in a caulk tube is a good thing to keep around for just such an emergency.

Dan

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-15-2005, 08:37 PM
I have two of those bubble type skylights... I finally dug the usual crap around them and used roofing patch..TAR. That fixed it.

ishmael
10-15-2005, 10:40 PM
So tar-ish stuff gets the nod? As soon as it clears a bit I must get up there. It's not leaking a lot, but the sheetrock is stained. I don't wanna think about the insulation.

Thanks, tar-ish it will be, unless someone else chimes in and says not.

Memphis Mike
10-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Bubble Yum and you can get it at a local convienence store too. No need to go to the Home Depot.

Granville
10-16-2005, 08:49 AM
put some fur on it. fur keeps you warm