PDA

View Full Version : Complexity & boat enjoyment ?

J. Dillon
03-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Gonna post this to give some relief to politics and war. :D

Scott's post about electrical problems set me to pondering, is enjoyment of a boat increased with the complexity of its gear etc. ? :eek: I seem to remember" The Complete Cruiser" In which the boats written about were kept to their most simplest form . Some of us love the challenge of maintaining all that gear but remember the days of your first boat ? smile.gif What joy ! raise the sail and go. Now we need all sorts of gear. :rolleyes: Of course keeping the crew happy is important ;) but.....

What is your experience ?

JD

Bruce Taylor
03-31-2003, 05:57 PM
I'm glad you posted it down here, Jack.

I love complexity. Yeah, it's nice to jump in a boat and go...but it's even more fun to sit in a wild pile of rigging--like Whitman's spider, in the arachnophilia thread--and pull on strings. It's a pleasure to play around with the rigging, trimming a downhaul here, shortening a snotter there, adding a few beads to the parrel. If you like messing about in boats, you need plenty of stuff to mess about with.

I really enjoyed your article on reefing a sprit rig, by the way. I hope you produce more of that sort of thing.

[ 03-31-2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Taylor ]

Rocky
03-31-2003, 05:59 PM
I was gonna say something bout that JD but this thread's already toast. Better move it or forget it.

Nicholas Carey
03-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by J. Dillon:
Gonna post this to give some relief to politics and war. :D

Scott's post about electrical problems set me to pondering, is enjoyment of a boat increased with the complexity of its gear etc.?...What is your experience ?
Nah...Enjoyment factor varies inversely with the simplicity of the boat's systems and size.

A fancy way of saying that the smaller and simpler the boat is, the more likely you are to use it and enjoy using it.

And you'll spend less time fixing it and more time sailing it. Which is easier to service: a hand pump on the sink with a tea kettle on the galley stove for hot water, or a plumbed-in pressurized water system with a hot water heater?

J. Dillon
03-31-2003, 07:01 PM
Donn, I deliberately posted it here as sometime we need to "sweeten" the bilge a little. I imagine you add stuff to your bilge once in a while don't you ? ;)

Bruce, Check out the current issue of "Good Old Boat" There's an article of mine there. :cool: Good for "gadgeteers". Yachting many years ago had a column entitled Gadgets & gilholies" or something like that. I sure liked that column as there was always a neat little something for some one to tinker with.

I hear you Nicholas, KISS.

Peace to you Kevin err you too Rocky ;)

JD

Mr. Know It All
03-31-2003, 07:26 PM
I remember someone had in their signature, that a true measure of a man is not what he has, but what he can do without. I agree with that thinking with one exception and thats safety equipment.
I don't provide alot of comfort for the crew but I want every safety gadget I can afford. As a boat owner I feel responsible for crew safety.
Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

J. Dillon
03-31-2003, 07:30 PM
Sound good Donn, Makes me want to take up fishing. smile.gif I love flounder any time. I envy your proximity to the water. ;)

Often thought about setting a lobster trap under my boat at the dock. But you have to go through so much stuff to make it legal. :(

JD

John Bell
03-31-2003, 07:40 PM
I've only got simple boats, but I covet more complex ones. Go figure.

How much you enjoy your boat is really a state of mind. I don't think simplicity or complexity has a thing to do with it: I'm just thrilled to be on ANY boat at ANY time, be it a 9' whitewater kayak or a huge car ferry. When you're on a boat, it's all good.

J. Dillon
03-31-2003, 07:45 PM
You're absolutely right John, it's all in the mind. I'll try to remember that the next time I skin my knuckles down in the bilge fixin some dern thing. ;)

JD

Scott Rosen
03-31-2003, 10:14 PM
You don't think the hotwater heater was MY idea, do you?!

Simplicity and redundancy are good.

Mrleft8
03-31-2003, 11:33 PM
Actually JD, I don't think it's illegal to drop a wiremesh cube into the water under your boat. If a dead bunker should happen to find its way into that cube, and just sit there I don't think anyone would really mind. AND, if a lobster should happen to wander into that cube to feed on that dead bunker, then who'd really even know about it? IF some day you pulled that wire mesh cube up into your boat, and there happened to be a lobster in it, and it was dark out, and no one saw you put that poor trapped lobster into a bucket, to relocate it somewhere safe.....Like say..... Hamden, would it really be such a bad thing? ;)

J. Dillon
03-31-2003, 11:43 PM
Mrleft8, That's stretching the law. I'd have to get Scott R. to represent me if I got nabbed. Those fish and game people are in and out of my marina. How about in May some time for a sail Mrleft8 ?

Of course not Scott we all like cold showers. Keeps the gronicles in shape. ;)

Ron Williamson
04-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Half the joy of a simple boat is the ability to modify it(or not),as it suits you.When you get tired of it because it's too complicated,get a new boat.
R

Mrleft8
04-01-2003, 08:14 AM
May's good, if it's not snowing! We could take your pet groundhogs for a sail too! :D

Mrleft8
04-01-2003, 08:16 AM
I wonder if grounhogs make good lobster pot bait.... :D

gunnar I am
04-03-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Donn:
I have 40+ years of boating experience, that started in a 10' wooden rowboat with 2 oars and a cement filled 5# coffee can .No wonder Donn's so ornery! He's been drinking cement all these years!
:D