PDA

View Full Version : Monk Parakeets

Mrleft8
06-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Pretty little birds. They build nests that look like miniature Osprey nests. They are, however, rather messy birds. They have decided that my boat makes a great "poop deck".
And another thing.... Aren't they supposed to be tropical birds? What are they doing nesting in Connecticut?

Mrleft8
06-16-2004, 08:08 AM
I guess the Branford birds have "upscaled" and moved into Guilford. I knew there was a colony in B-port, but I thought that they were pretty much stationary type birds....

Meerkat
06-16-2004, 12:12 PM
AKA Quaker Parrots. There was a huge colonial nest of them outside an apartment I lived in in Florida in the late 80's. They're hard to catch, but make nice pets.

[ 06-16-2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Figment
06-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Doug, they used to confine themselves west of the quinnipiac. I think they made the jump across NH harbor three or four years ago, though I know not how or why. We've got them in Clinton, though not in such heavy concentrations as I've seen in Milford. I'm told that they're starting to show up east of the CT river now.

Noisy little buggers, aren't they?!!

If you find a way to prevent them from peppering your boat, let me know. For years now my aunt has been dying to paint her house any-color-other-than-parakeet-poop. smile.gif

[ 06-16-2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Figment ]

Figment
06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Fred,
My knowlege of greater-chicago geography is paper thin. Are the locations noted in that article all near the lake?

I've always found it curious that the "feral" parakeets around here seem to stay near the coastline.

Mrleft8
06-16-2004, 09:28 PM
OK.... Now I'm really pissed! Apparently they have not only been pooping on my boat, but a few of them took it out for a sail today.... Bastards didn't even bother to pull the rudder up after they were done!

LisaS
06-16-2004, 09:33 PM
The little green squawkers have moved to Norwalk as well. Very noisy, very messy, and very destructive. They'll make nice snacks for the Ospreys that are nesting atop the lights at the baseball field though <G>

Lisa

Mrleft8
06-17-2004, 07:15 AM
I don't think Ospreys eat birds Lisa....

Figment
06-17-2004, 08:25 AM
well, at least they have decent taste in boats!

Jack Heinlen
06-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Fred Z's link is a bit sobering. I thought, well, a few colonies in fairly temperate habitats, but it sounds like they could be another starling, only smarter, messier, and noisier. Just what we need. :rolleyes:

Some of the pics of the colonial nests are striking. Invasion of the parrots! Yipes! None sighted in the north woods yet. smile.gif

BTW, there once was a native NA parrot, the Carolina Parakeet. Range limited to the SE. Wiped out, I believe, by the feather trade; hunters going for the skins to get feathers to adorn ladies hats.