PDA

View Full Version : We know what we are doing

cs
09-23-2004, 12:49 PM
so let us do it!

So here we go starting a new credit union for a customer. He hired us to design and build this building for him. This is all well and good, becuase that is what we do.

So the credit union board hires the husband of a board memeber to oversee the project to protect the credit union's intrest, and this guy has not even worked in the construction industry. He is retired and I guess he has nothing better to do.

Of course I don't have a problem with the credit union having someone keep track of construction, but this guy has gotten into micro-management and is going over the drawings with a fine toothed comb and telling our subs how to do their job.

First of all we have a job supertinedant that is running the job and he is an employee of ours. He is the one that tells the subs what to do, not the employees repersentive. This guy is out there trying to tell the dirt guy how to cut the site and is doing nothing but slowing up the project.

He needs to just sit back and let us do what they hired us to do and he don't need to be trying to tell us how to build it or how to draw the drawings. We've been doing this a long time and I we know what we are doing.

Chad

Kev Smyth
09-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Do you? I hear your firm has a lot of guys who play around on the WBF all day talking about knives, etc! Who's really watching the job?!? :eek: tongue.gif

As the 'ole rooster said: "That's a joke, son!" :D

Matt J.
09-23-2004, 01:13 PM
:rolleyes:

I thought that was part of the requirements of the construction business - having some dumba$$ complain a lot but know nothing, and get in the way... It's not necessary?

Chris Stewart
09-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Labor Rates

</font> Standard Rate....$20/hr
</font> If You Watch........$30/hr
</font> If You Help...........$45/hr
</font>

mmd
09-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Maybe your company should adopt the attitude expressed on a sign at a motorcycle shop I was in once...

Our Rates:

$20/hr
$25/hr if you watch
$40/hr if you help

A boatyard I work with has a policy that the customer nor any of his family or representatives are allowed past the shop office unless accompanied by a boatyard employee.

Another shipyard provides a "temporary office space" to the owners' on-site inspector for the duration of the build. If the inspector is a reasonable fellow, office space becomes available in the admin building; if he is difficult to deal with, that office space becomes necessary for something else and the inspector gets housed in an "office" in a corrogated tin shed built on the side of the main assembly shed right beside the air compressor room and next to the sandblasting yard. Ouch!

Bruce Hooke
09-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Is there any chance of politely suggesting to him that if he has questions or concerns about how subs are doing their work then to assure clear communciation those concerns should be taken to your job superintendent rather than to the sub? Of course it will help if you can also encourage your subs to send the same message.

This does not, of course, help with things like micro-inspecting the plans. That sort of thing seems to be one of the very unpredictable risks of the building trades (as well as most other lines of work) -- the client who turns out to be insanely picky. Not much that you can do in that case other than grit your teeth behind a pretty smile. :mad:

I remember listening to a boatyard owner I worked for talking on the phone with a difficult customer (actually mostly listening to the customer talk, IIRC). After the conversation was done the yard owner listened to make sure the customer had hung up and then let fly with one word, said with GREAT feeling -- "a**hole" -- before hanging up the phone at his end.

Alan D. Hyde
09-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Chad, whenever he makes a change, bill them as per contract for the change order.

After this happens a few times, and they notice the change was piddley or niggling and NOT worth them paying for, then they'll likely pull in his leash.

It's surprising how silent the most voluable individual can get when his words cost him (or his boss) money.

Alan

Ross M
09-23-2004, 02:19 PM
The Other Side

New plant being built to consolidate 3 locations into one, after 45 years of separation.

Great location, beautiful suburb. First rate everything.

Architect takes great pains to absolutely minimise roof penetrations.

All done with the shell, roof, flooring, etc. Looking great.

In come the electricians. They mount several dozen electrical boxes for lighting directly to the roof with self tapping sheet metal screws.

It's forever...

Ross

[ 09-23-2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Ross M ]

Kev Smyth
09-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Just be thankful he didn't work on it first! Them's always the best!! :D ;)

cs
09-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Alan, it is not about changing what we are doing, but rather telling us how to do it. It be kinda like me telling software programer where to put the 1s and 2s

Chad

Alan D. Hyde
09-23-2004, 03:42 PM
I know Chad.

BUT treat it LIKE it's a change order.

Constant hand-holding and dithering that weren't anticipated in the bid calculation are just as costly and probably MORE irritating than change orders. You need to add the time they take up into the bill somehow...

Alan

[ 09-23-2004, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

brad9798
09-23-2004, 04:33 PM
All it will do is slow the process and add some stumbling blocks for him ...

I have clients like that too ... I think to myself, and often say to them: "Why are you paying me, if you are the expert?"

Or, "Am I qualified to run a credit union? NO- so I look to you for that expertise."

Most of the time, if done properly, they see the light ... if not, I add appropriate charges for my aggravation/wasted time.

Happens everywhere ...

Just remember, he/his company are paying the bill- Thus, they can manage however they choose.

Good luck.

Brad

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-23-2004, 09:27 PM
If your company bills by the hour great... if not... tell him (politely) that he cannot communicate directly with subs,(he doesn't employ them you do) that he is entitled to a meeting each day, and that he is not insured to be on the worksite itself, unless supervised and led through.