PDA

View Full Version : 39 years ago, Today

Greg H
11-22-2002, 09:38 AM
John F Kennedy was assassinated.
Do you remember where you were?
I had gotten home after walking from grade school (3rd grade), the TV was on.....
It is the second world event that I was really aware of, the first was the Cuban missle Crisis, sort of formed a foundation for my view of the political world. :(

[ 11-22-2002, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Greg H ]

Bruce Taylor
11-22-2002, 09:45 AM
Do you remember where you wereNope.

I remember Winston Churchill's funeral, though. I was 5 yrs. old, and I sat through the whole televised funeral waiting for them to open the casket so I could see who was in there. It was very disappointing.

Concordia..41
11-22-2002, 09:48 AM
I was born nine months and one day later :rolleyes:

- M

paladin
11-22-2002, 09:55 AM
I wuz driving a little bitty airplane when I got the radio message to return to base we were going on alert for possible overseas deployment. We were given four hours to pack, settle personal affairs and report to the flightline for passports, shot record checks and immunizations if needed etc. We sat in the hangar for 24 hours with c rats waiting for the powers to be to decide something before we got the order to stand down.

Norske3
11-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Chaunute Air Base, Illinois...standing outside the chow hall around noon...the announcement came over the speaker... :( ...THIRTY NINE YEARS!!...OH MOMMA!

[ 11-22-2002, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Norske3 ]

ishmael
11-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Sitting in class, in second grade. The announcement came over the PA and they sent us home. For some reason, the rumor spread around the school yard of milling children that he had fallen from his horse. Not altogether untrue.

May God bless his randy Irish soul.

[ 11-22-2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Wild Dingo
11-22-2002, 10:11 AM
I was 6 years old for gawds sake!! Livin down here way out in the middle of the never never it really didnt impact around my bit of the world...

Lookin back its a different story of course... same with lookin back at Martin Luther King Jnrs death makes an impact sorta delayed of course... but one tends to wonder what they could have achieved had they have lived dont it?

Take it easy
Shane

Norske3
11-22-2002, 10:13 AM
HELLO! SHANE. smile.gif

Ian McColgin
11-22-2002, 10:18 AM
High school physics class. All classes were cancelled and we moved to the chapel.

bud
11-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Heard it walking home from school. Don't know if folks today realize what an impact that had on the country. Got home & my mom was in tears. Teachers in school crying, people walking down the street crying, that's how it was.

Wayne Jeffers
11-22-2002, 10:36 AM
I had just finishing showering from gym class, fifth period, ninth grade. We sat through sixth period music class in shock. :(

I can remember well the Cuban Missile crisis, too.

I also remember the launch of Sputnik and the ensuing panic and the drills for nuclear attack in school, wherein we went to the central hallway, sat down with our heads between our knees, and practiced kissing our *** goodbye! :rolleyes:

Wayne

A. Mason
11-22-2002, 10:37 AM
It was my 15th birthday and I was scheduled to go on my very first "dress up" dinner date at a "fancy" restaurant. My date picked me up and we drove around for awhile but not a single business was open.

This year's birthday is much more festive. My 87-year-old is home from the hospital after unexpected major surgery and is back to her old self. Her renewed health is the best birthday present!

Anita

Don Olney
11-22-2002, 10:37 AM
Playing with my toy trucks on the floor in front of the TV in our home in San Antonio. I was only three but I have a clear memory of my mother who had stopped folding laundry and was watching the TV. She told us something bad had happened to the president whatever that was.

LisaS
11-22-2002, 10:56 AM
I was only two, so I'm waaaaay too young to remember.

Lisa

John of Phoenix
11-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Home from 8th grade with a cold. My dad was stationed at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City. I don't remember if they went on alert or not. Later in the day I saw Jack Ruby shoot Oswald. It seems like last week.

LeeG
11-22-2002, 11:32 AM
I in the 2nd grade and was home sick watching the 9" zenith , mom had left me to get some groceries,when she came back and I told her while it was still on. It was a beginning to understanding the world of grownups.

imported_Steven Bauer
11-22-2002, 12:14 PM
Only four then, but Happy Birthday Anita! smile.gif
Steven

Roger Stouff
11-22-2002, 12:30 PM
A glimmer in my daddy's eye... tongue.gif

Scott Rosen
11-22-2002, 12:46 PM
In school, second grade. They sent us home early. I remember watching the funeral on tv, which was broadcast on all of the channels, and wishing I could find some cartoons. My best friend's initials were JFK, and even at that young age we were pondering the significance.

Joe (SoCal)
11-22-2002, 12:48 PM
<==== Zygote :eek:

Rich VanValkenburg
11-22-2002, 01:00 PM
In third grade on the playground. I had no idea what 'assassinated' meant.

Rich

Paul Scheuer
11-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Making a beer run for the USS Saratoga (CVA 60) OE Division Snake Ranch in Jax Beach Fla.

Alan D. Hyde
11-22-2002, 02:01 PM
In junior high school, seventh grade, BSing with a couple of friends, when the announcement came over the loud speaker...

Alan

Chris Coose
11-22-2002, 02:13 PM
I was in the ether of my Catholic grammar school experience but I do remember seeing Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald live on TV. I had a feeling that something was very wrong with what I'd witnessed.
It is no wonder some of us became conspiracy theorists, begining then and with what was to come in that era.

ken mcclure
11-22-2002, 05:17 PM
I was at the Nelson Art Gallery in Independence, MO (At least I think the Gallery is in Independence) with the rest of my 8th grade class. We were attending a concert, and were lined up in the halls waiting to go in and be seated.

One of the nuns came through and said in a stricken voice, "President Kennedy's been shot!" That was the first and only time I've seen a nun with tears.

Ed Harrow
11-22-2002, 05:23 PM
Study hall, ninth grade. "Fathead Phil" came in and made the announcement. All were let out soon there after.

Meerkat
11-22-2002, 06:01 PM
Near Pittsburgh, PA. Study hall (7th grade?). Went to the library and got sent back immediately. Soon after, at least 2 hours early, they brought around the buses and sent everyone home. Air of controlled panic/anxiety. I think when I got home (I was the first) it was: "why are you home so early?" "President got shot". Minor pandimonium ensued: tv turned on, phone calls made etc. Spent the next 3 days watching the tv coverage. I don't recall the same sort of ongoing anxiety then as we have now since 9/11. (Of course, back then, we didn't have a government bent on terrorizing us like we do now.)

rodcross
11-22-2002, 06:23 PM
Walking in an apple orchard with Abigail, in Beloit, WI.

Ross Faneuf
11-23-2002, 01:41 AM
Came back from my classes at the Tute (junior year) to find it on the TV at my fraternity. 3 days of tasteful classical music on every station in the Boston area, no matter what their usual format.

Mike Field
11-23-2002, 02:24 AM
Driving another bloke's girlfriend home. smile.gif

Yep, it made a big impact out here -- it was as though one of the family had died.

adampet
11-23-2002, 09:08 AM
One of my earliest memories. I was anticipating my 4th birthday and I remember my mother coming home in tears. I know she tried to explain, but I was too young to have any real idea what it was all about. It had quite an impression. I remember watching the funeral at a friends house and remember the riderless horse with backward boots. Snapshots mostly.

Mr. Know It All
11-23-2002, 09:42 AM
I was in grade school and got to go home early so I could watch my Mom cry and watch TV. Like most kids my age I was confused and alarmed. On a happier note....Happy Birthday Anita! Glad to hear your Mom is well and home.
Kevin in Ohio

Wild Wassa
11-23-2002, 04:25 PM
I was living in Brisbane at the time. I can remembed my Nana coming in to the bedroom and saying that a great man had been shot and that it was not a good day for the world. I don't think that I knew who he was. I soon learnt about JFK over the next few years.

Warren.

ps, and his Family.