PDA

View Full Version : Lulu Easter Update

John R Smith
04-17-2001, 06:05 AM
Hi there gang

Well, just to keep all you good folks up to date on things over here in Cornwall. You will be pleased to hear that we have so far escaped the dreaded foot-and-mouth disease down in this neck of the woods, and things are mostly normal except that all the footpaths are closed. That in itself is a drag, because we both like walking, but the closure is a minor inconvenience if it keeps the virus at bay. Fortunately, Sunny Corner and the river are open for business as usual.

We have to hang our heads in shame regarding progress on Lulu this year. Leaving aside the difficulties posed by my bad arm and Kate's bad back, mother nature has not been kind. Until yesterday, we have not had one day when we got down to the boat and it did not rain. The weather has been awful. So most of the work has been going on in the cabin, where we have made quite an impact. Re-furbishment has now spread onwards from the re-built galley to the saloon, where fresh cream paint and varnish is going back on top of sound, stripped mahogany and oak, along with new shelves and cushions.

Yesterday dawned fine (just in time -last day of my Easter break) - perhaps we could get out on the river at last. So we rose early, got down to the boat, removed the winter mooring warps and made things shipshape. However, a teensy snagettino soon reared its ugly head. Had I read the tide table more carefully, I would have realised that the tide was particularly neap. So neap, in fact, that even at high water only the stern was afloat, with the forefoot still firmly stuck in Cornish mud. Ho hum. Still no trip out so far this season. Well, there's always next weekend . . .

Still, we were able as a result to get on with another major task. We have a serious problem with the topsides and sheerstrakes on Lulu. In the forty years since she was built, no-one ever seems to have burnt them off. Consequently, all the paint ever applied by previous owners is still there, well over a millimetre thick. And this paint has cracked, and bubbled up, and water has got behind it, and - well you can imagine the rest. So it has all got to come off, be made good, and be re-painted with some nice thin coats of well-adhering paint. So there we were, with the blowlamp and scrapers and other weapons of destruction, burning our hands, choking in the fumes, and having a nice Easter break. By the end of the afternoon the starboard sheerstrake was sanded and in grey primer - only another heaven-knows-how-many planks to go.

Anyhow, as a result of this serious boat maintenance activity, I have a couple of problems for you to consider. First off, how can I mark the waterline so that we don't lose it when we are burning-off? I tried scribing a line, but the mahogany is so hard and the paint so thick that it just gets lost as we scrape away. And secondly, as you might expect we have some problems with the dreaded rot. This is because water has got trapped behind the dodgy paint at the laps, and we have a few soft edges but usually no more than the first 1/4 inch of the plank is affected. Question is, how should I tackle these? It would seem a bit like overkill to scarf in a whole length of plank just for a soft edge. Your thoughts, please.

You know, if you are ever feeling bored, not enough to do, time hanging heavy on your hands - just buy an (old) wooden boat . . .

John

Mike Field
04-17-2001, 09:07 AM
Hello, JohnR. I was delighted to see your post. Welcome back. Don't overdo the typing though, we don't want you going back on the sick list again.

Just a suggestion about the waterline. I haven't done this, so that's all it is. Until you've got enough paint off to be able to scribe a proper line, what about using a centre-punch every foot or so to get a mark down into the solid timber? Then scribe a new line through the dimples when the time comes.

An alternative would be to forget the waterline altogether for the time being, take all the old paint off, then put in a new waterline using the old water-gauge dodge.

Assuming you're happy with the water;ine's present location, I would think the first alternative would be easier.

I'm afraid I can't really help with the second problem. But I can tell you the rot's got to go. Is Lulu clinker -- I've forgotten. If she is, there might be no alternative but to scarph in some new strakes -- or at least, sufficient lengths to allow you to get rid of the rotten bits. Dutchmen perhaps? Or butt-blocks?

Andreas Wiese
04-17-2001, 09:42 AM
Hello john,

Thanks for another update!
I was (as you know) also in Cornwall working on "Elwinor".......I have the same problem with a couple of soft planks + one with an actual hole in it. I was quoted 1600 for the job, so I will have to do it myself early in June. At least I managed to replace the cabin sides, which I was less than amused to find in a state in which I could push my hand through in several places....so much for the survey!!!! Well it was a great time anyway, and Cornwall was super except for the sorry weather.

I think I will get some penetrating epoxy like CPES shipped over here to saturate the soft planks for now - it might not be very traditional, but it will have to do until next year when I will be working full time (hopefully) after finishing my studies.

About the waterline: What about writing down the hight of the painted topsides for every foot or so - and then making marks and draw a new line when the new paint is on? A little time consuming perhaps...but it should be fairly accurate.

I might see you in June when I will be back to finish the job!

Good luck, and be careful with that arm!

Andreas

PS. Due to the whole & the soft planks she will not be launched, obviously, but I checked with the places you suggested for moorings - and you were right: very expensive! Something should be done..

Shang
04-17-2001, 10:08 AM
You are right about the weather...I was on your side of the pond about two weeks ago and my feet became webbed. This came in handy upon my return to the colonies since the Spring weather in my area is also rainy. But since my boat too is up on blocks while I work on the hull I only get wet when I come out from under, which isn't often. Someone suggested marking the waterline by making a shallow saw-kerf along the old line, so that's what I'm doing with mine.

ACB
04-17-2001, 10:15 AM
Ah, good.

For two reasons, firstly it's nice to hear from Lulu, showing that Spring has officially arrived.

Second reason, schadenfreude. You weather has been as foul as ours, here. Mirelle is still in the shed, mostly burned off except for the really awkward bit under the counter, and half hardened down and re-stopped. Piglet has been about on the river, but it was miserably cold for an open boat, even a pretty one!

Now, the waterline. Buy an ounce, or whatever that is in grammes, of short copper tacks. Bang them in along the waterline. Burn off. Some tacks will come out with the scraper, but most will not. Get a straight edge batten,(it need not be as long as the hull) join the tacks up, nail the batten on, scribe along it and there you are, "done" for ever.

Did this with the clinker "Piglet" last year, and she (being painted to match Mirelle) has a white boot top as well as a waterline...

Is the softness on the lower, outboard, edge of the lands, or has it got as far as the fastenings?

Ian McColgin
04-17-2001, 10:38 AM
This winter a friend, tired of finding the waterline each year and taping and all that, properly scribed both the top and bottom of the boot. He used guide battens and a V tip on his dremmel tool. Since it's just barely the tip that does a lot of work, it was slow going and used serveral bits - 35' boat, both sides two lines each - over 120' of scribing. Probably would have gone better with a very thin flat bottomed router bit.

But then, putting the waterline on lapstrake is a royal pain.

What you need is one of those nifty lasar line gizmos carpenters are now using. Just have the bow and stern marked and be sure to set the lasar at close to the waterline height.

Another fun use for the lasar gizmo is to fold it down to a spot and then let the dog chase the spot around. Just don't by any chance hit his eyes.

Oh yeah. I spent more time plunking around in the dory this weekend than working on Grana. We're all running a little late but who cares, it's only fun.

John R Smith
04-17-2001, 10:59 AM
Hey, this is nice, now I'm getting to find out how everyone else is doing, too. Andreas - who did your survey? Not Bob Pizey, was it, because I thought he was pretty good. I like ACB's idea of copper tacks for the waterline, I think - nice and low-tech. Remember, we are on the beach and I can't get her level at all, so lasers and stuff just aren't going to work. But copper tacks - yes, this I can do.

The soft plank edges are usually just on the edge of the lands, and mostly don't (yet) affect the fasteners. It has happened because rain-water has been trapped beneath the flaky paint and been drawn underneath by capilliary action.

John

ACB
04-17-2001, 11:31 AM
Simple chewed-up lands treatment? Using a sharp chisel and a small rebate plane, upside down, cut back to honest wood. Glue on (and hold in place with brass pins whilst the glue sets!) a new strip to make good the edge?

Odd soft bits round fastenings can be done with little diamond shaped graving pieces - if the softness goes all the way through, get the copper nail out, drill right through well oversize, plug the hole, then (this is the artistic bit!) cut a diamond to half the depth of the plank and glue it in.

Mahogany planking is a worry, in this respect. Have a very good look and get all the bad bits, then you will be able to sleep at night later on!

Andrew
04-17-2001, 03:07 PM
Hey John (and Kate) glad to see you're getting back to Lulu. I'm getting ready to get on the water also, but I don't know about the weather. I was getting sunburned this weekend getting the place at the coast prepared for the grandkids next weekend. Today it's snowing.

John B
04-17-2001, 05:16 PM
Nice to hear from you John. We had a nice easter away...I thought it was going to turn to jam with cyclone Sose coming down from Noumea but it petered out. It stopped us from leaving on FRIDAY 13 anyway.

Whenever I see one of the old boats hauled and being stripped I always look very closely at its history revealed for all to see. The engraved waterlines show the various trims and ballast configurations over the years. Sometimes the differences are radical.
You might even find an engraved line . You could strip a patch to see. I treated mine like a baby for about 10 years but I've finally lost it. The boat is about due for a burn off but I'll put it off as long as I can. Eyechrometer and the zen of masking tape application for me in the meantime.

Andreas Wiese
04-18-2001, 06:13 AM
John - it was not Bob Pizey, I did not take notice of his name......mind you the price on the boat was probably right - only he could have spared me the anxious moments when I explored the extent of the rot! Luckily, it was quite minor (apart from the cabin sides & cockpit), so I am quite happy, really.

Cheers,
Andreas

John R Smith
04-18-2001, 06:22 AM
Oh well, pity you didn't ask me, Andreas. Should have used Bob Pizey. He is the local guru for wooden boats.

John

Andreas Wiese
04-19-2001, 04:58 AM
Perhaps I should ask Mr. Pizey to have a look at the boat before we launch her in June....might save us some sticky situations later in the season..

Andreas

John R Smith
04-19-2001, 06:36 AM
Well, Andreas, we don't want you throwing good money after bad . . . Could you tell us a bit more about the problems with Elwinor? I think she is carvel-built, so what is your planking material? And exactly how much of it is affected? 1600 seems like a lot of money if the damage is very localised. Also, who gave you the quote?

John

Andreas Wiese
04-19-2001, 07:08 AM
Ok, here are the details on Elwinor:

She is pitch pine on oak, carvel construction as you say, bronze & copper fastened. Long iron keel and wrought iron keelbolts (not too sure, really). 4,3 tons displacement, so no racer.
Anyway, the bronze and copper fasteners seem to be in good condition - the previous owner refastened completely in 1980. The level of wood decay is as follows: port quarter: one plank with a hole in it (pushed my hand through) the planks immediately above and below are soft in places (although not by the fasteners). Starboard quarter: two planks with minor soft spots, but one quite bad around the screws (but not deeper than the heads are sunk into the wood).
Unfortunately one rib also needs replacing.
I was quoted 1600 (at least) for replacing one rib and the five offending planks by a yard in Penryn.
One plank obviously needs to be replaced, but I am not so sure about the others. If I can stabilise the situation by saturating the other planks with CPES (was contacted by a supplier in Sweden) for now, I could fork out the money for full replacement in a season or two.....or will that be foolish?
I spoke to an "old hand" at the yard where she currently sits about the bad rib - he said I should not worry since it is located quite far aft, and that she is "superbly over-engineered" anyway, with closely spaced ribs and quite massive frames.
What do you think???

Andreas, in anticipation!

John R Smith
04-19-2001, 07:54 AM
First off, Andreas, your Surveyor really should have found and reported on this problem. If he/she did not, then I think you should pursue the matter and ask for your money back.

Second, I would be very suspicious of the areas where you have found rot so far. If it has progressed to the point where have a hole through the plank, there is likely to be more than you can see as yet. I assume that the damage is above the waterline?

Third, get in contact with Martin Heard at Tregatreath Boatyard, Mylor Bridge, tel 01326 374441. Ask him to take a look and give you a quote. Martin does Falmouth working boats and although he builds mostly in glass these days he knows wood.

John

Andreas Wiese
04-20-2001, 06:47 AM
Thanks john!

Although you can never tell for sure with rot, I believe it to be very localised - we have removed the cockpit, so the affected area is easily accessible for anyone to scrutinise.

I am awaiting a quote/recommendation from the yard any day now, so I will hopefully know more shortly. I did speak to a Martin on the phone from the broker's office - it could have been the guy you are mentioning - but he was fully booked up for the season, unfortunately. I will however give Tregatreath Boatyard a ring, just to be sure.

I have another worry though: Will the boat dry out too much if she remains on the hard until mid-june??? Even back home in Norway, my old Folkboat developed astonishing cracks by early june.......

Cheers,
Andreas

About the survey......the previous owner paid for it.....I know, it smells foul...

John R Smith
04-20-2001, 07:43 AM
By the way, folks, this is not meant to be a private conversation - you can all join in if you want http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Andreas - glad to hear your rot is in fact pretty localised. No comment on the survey! Martin may well be very busy, the best usually are . . .

As to the boat drying out, well it will, but you will just have to let her take up when the time comes, I suppose. Be ready to stay aboard pumping for a while. One thing in your favour is that Cornwall is a pretty damp climate, and we very rarely go for long without rain!

Best regards,

John

ACB
04-20-2001, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the thought. But I don't know nearly enough about local conditions in Cornwall! I've heard it said that strange things happen to people who cross the Tamar!

Hesp
04-23-2001, 04:38 AM
Andreas, for a less expensive quote you might try "The Quay Boatyard" (I think they're called) located on a floating (when the tide's in) barge behind The Boatshop, Commercial Road, Penryn. Low overheads. I have no connection.

John

Andreas Wiese
04-23-2001, 05:32 AM
Thanks John Hesp, I will try to get in touch with them!

- JohnR: What will happen with Lulu? Will you replace planking or attempt repairs?

Andreas

John R Smith
04-23-2001, 05:34 AM
Andreas

Just had a thought about a REALLY cheap mooring http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif This is best accomplished just as dusk is falling . . .

Purchase locally a scrap engine (old Kelvin or similar), nice length of rusty old chain and a secondhand buoy from Islington Wharf, Penryn. Attach the chain to the engine block, and buoy to the other end. Motor out quietly to an area where there are already lots of moorings (very important, this bit). Attach bow rope to buoy, heave the whole lot overboard. Get in tender, row ashore to pub.

The cunning part of the plot is that in amongst all the other moorings, no-one will notice for ages . . .

John

Andreas Wiese
04-23-2001, 07:07 AM
A marvelously cunning plan John! I can anticipate only one problem, or perhaps two....how heavy are those old rusty engines?

Will I be able to get off the hook by virtue of my Norwegian citizenship, if caught during this sinister act?? Otherwise I will need a locally known well-respected person (hint) to extricate me from the raging mob of over-charged mooring users.

Andreas

John R Smith
04-23-2001, 07:33 AM
Ah, well, Andreas, yes an old Kelvin will be pretty heavy, but then it needs to be, you see, otherwise your boat could sort of wander off in the night. But the fact that you are Norwegian will be a huge advantage if you are found out - for a start, you can just pretend you don't speak English and talk very loudly in your Mother tongue, which should cause enough confusion for you to make good your escape. Even better, we British have had a great affection for you Norwegian chappies ever since World War II when of course you were on our side. So they would probably let you off with a warning anyway.

John

Andreas Wiese
04-23-2001, 07:53 AM
Splendid!

You would not happen to know of a spot where this little plan could materialise with some degree of success?? http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif

I am still a bit worried about the purchasing part of the plot: Will not the good people of Penryn assume foul play at work if someone goes about collecting scrap engines and used buoys?

Andreas

John R Smith
04-23-2001, 09:33 AM
Hmm, well, there are certain little snagettinos attached to this plan. No matter, No matter, at this time of year there are loads of empty moorings just begging to be occupied. Plan B :

Paint "Elwinor" dark blue. In large yellow letters, paint "COASTGUARD" on each sheerstrake (for greater impact, put flashing blue lights on the coachroof and mount a small Bofors gun on the foredeck). Motor up river at dusk, select the mooring of your choice (if already occupied, sink the offending craft with the Bofors gun). Moor up, row ashore to the pub in the tender. No-one will bother you for weeks, guaranteed.

John (ever helpful is my middle name)

Steve Souther
04-23-2001, 10:21 AM
Here's a solution for getting the heavy mooring (engine) in place. This prescription should do very well in the tidal waters of Cornwall.
At Low tide have a rowing skiff at the waters edge (important to have a sandy beach) with capacity enough for the engine and rower's weight as well. Don't forget the weight of the chain and bouy. Secure bowline to something above high water. Then back your truck down to where the boat is...greese the bed before hand so the mooring will slide out and plop into the drink. Reeve a thick hemp rope around the boat and through the padeye, or some attachment point on the engine/mooring. Snug this fairly close (don't forget to attach the chain and lay the bouy in the boat). Then comes the fun part...wait. Go home and relax while nature does the heavy work. At high tide the mooring is suspended neatly under the keel of the boat. Swim out to the boat, cast off, and row to the mooring spot and nonechalantly cut the hemp rope. Voila! The mooring drops right into place!

This can be accomplished in broad daylight and no one will think twice....

Andreas Wiese
04-24-2001, 07:22 AM
This gets better and better!!

Plan B is a masterpiece, your ingenuity is unsurpassed John! Steve's plan is a little subtler, yet very clever as well, so I just don't know... I do like the idea of the Bofors gun though, might come in handy when dealing with French trawlers later in the season. I am a very poor navigator, so it would be helpful to be able to blast my way out of tricky situations, so to speak.

A more immediate concern, however, is how to cut through my new one inch cabinsides to fit the portholes. How accurate is the Bofors?

eternally grateful, Andreas

John R Smith
04-24-2001, 07:33 AM
Bofors gun would probably be ideal for cutting holes in the new coamings http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Andreas, being serious just for a moment, if you actually would like a mooring on the Fal in the long-term, and your craft has legs to keep her upright, you could put your name down on the Sunny Corner waiting list. Just about the cheapest place on the river . . .

John

Andreas Wiese
04-24-2001, 07:54 AM
She has got legs to keep her upright, it took me several days before it finally dawned on me what those &^%$%..*^%*$ metal poles attatched to the deck are meant for - I was about to complain to the yard manager for bolting through the deck......it would be nice to keep her on the Fal, but there is the problem of looking after her properly. How protected are the moorings at Sunny Corner?

Andreas

John R Smith
04-24-2001, 08:27 AM
Well, obviously being moored up to a quay means that your boat is accessible to all and sundry. However, the upside of that is that it is also accessible to you, without rowing miles in a tender. Stuff like bottom painting and so on is doable without a haul-out. The keelboats on our beach don't get messed around with - they are too high up on their legs for casual vandalism. And we have several people living aboard close to us, who keep a good eye on things. A lot depends on your draught.

John

Mike Field
04-24-2001, 09:10 AM
Something like this, perhaps, for Plan B....?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1231924&a=10671402&p=47164680&Sequence=0&res=high

[This message has been edited by Mike Field (edited 04-24-2001).]

John R Smith
04-24-2001, 09:19 AM
Hell's teeth, imagine what would happen if he actually FIRED that thing . . .

John

thechemist
04-24-2001, 03:28 PM
Looks to me to be considerably more effective in sternwards propulsion than that little outboard motor would be in forwards propulsion........I doubt the outboard could even hold a position........still, if swiveled to the stern it seems an excellent combination of offensive weapondry combined with high-speed escape means. The outboard is evidently meant merely for manoeuvering.....ah, now I see. Yes, that's it. Clearly.

ACB
04-24-2001, 04:02 PM
HAAANGonaminnit!!!

John, before you go dumping perfectly nice Kelvins onto the seabed, pause and reflect!

These are some of the finest marine engines ever made; things of beauty and joys for ever.

I make a partial exception for the K series, a design which is a masterpiece of misplaced ingenuity. In search of their Holy Grail of low piston speed and low BMEP, Kelvin's engineers produced the only engine in recorded history that starts and stops on gasoline but runs on diesel, thereby combining the worst of both worlds - but at least they are totally indestructible!

If you have a P2 or P4 on your hands, don't toss it into the bottom of the creek, toss it in this direction! Come to think of it the little old E2 poppet valve petrol/paraffin engine still makes a lovely, almost silent, launch engine....

Funny lot, the Cornish!

Andreas Wiese
04-25-2001, 06:21 AM
..It seems someone has taken the matter of dinghy harassment seriously. Those nasty swans can easily capsize an offending tender.

John, Elwinor's draught is 4 feet & 6 inches I think.........I don't yet know where I will find employment, but it looks like it will be in the London area. How fast can you get to Sunny Corner from there?? - 5 hours??

Andreas

John R Smith
04-25-2001, 09:19 AM
ACB -

your point taken, but I was only kidding, my old 'ansome http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif I like Kelvins too, plodded up and down the Kingsbridge Estuary behind one during my teenage years.

Andreas -

your draught means that you would only get in and out of Sunny Corner at springs, and then only for about an hour each side of high water (roughly two weeks out of four). If this was acceptable, the travelling time from London is about 4 1/2 hours.

John

Mike Field
04-26-2001, 01:42 AM
Crikey, John, that's even worse than Cannons Creek. If Sanderling had 4'-6" draft I'd still be able to use her berth a bit longer than that. As it is, I can get afloat about 28 days in the average month (depends on wind and rainfall, too,) and for over two hours each side of high water half the time.

If I happen to miss a tide (not unknown, I can assure you,) I can anchor out in the creek proper, 50 yards from my berth, and row/plod ashore through the mud.

But Sanderling's only berthed about 50' from my back gate, which means travelling time is of the order of 30 seconds.

Some people just don't know how lucky they are, do they?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1231924&a=9316678&p=47293174&Sequence=0&res=high
Sanderling's mud berth from the back gate.

John R Smith
04-26-2001, 05:05 AM
Well, Mike, I was being a bit cautious because with Lulu's 1ft 6ins draught I am used to whizzing out whenever I want. And I didn't want to give Andreas a false impression. You could do a lot better than my figures by simply mooring further down the beach, which shelves pretty steeply - however, there it is a lot less firm and more muddy, not so good for legs, you see.

And yes, you are very lucky with your beautiful location - spare a thought for all those poor devils who are hours away from the water!

John

Andreas Wiese
04-26-2001, 06:33 AM
I had another look, and it seems the correct draft is 4". I will have a go once the boat's launched & floating, hopefully on June the 16th...

Mike, that is a truly beautiful spot!

Andreas

Andreas Wiese
04-26-2001, 08:20 AM
4 feet, that is.......

John R Smith
04-26-2001, 08:42 AM
Yes, well I was going to say something about your ability to sail on a wet dishcloth . . .

John

Mike Field
04-26-2001, 09:37 AM
And I was going to ask you if that was with the centreboard up....

Yes, John, I do know how lucky I am, believe me. And it is a pretty spot, isn't it, Andreas? What's more, from right there I have direct water access to you blokes at Sunny Corner.

I have to tell you, though, that those are mangroves you see there, and the damned things grow prolifically from the countless thousands of seeds they drop every summer. So several days each year are devoted to staggering round knee-deep in the mud, pulling them up by the roots while they're still small enough to come. (Sshhh! Did I say that?) Otherwise, vale mud-berth.

The good news is that we're further south than the crocs....

[This message has been edited by Mike Field (edited 04-26-2001).]

John B
04-26-2001, 04:23 PM
If you were in NZ the mangrove police would be after you by now Mike. You'd probably get PD planting the things.
Theres a guy locally who lives in what looks like a similar situation to you... A boatbuilder. He maintains 2 yachts in particular so to get them up to his shop he submerges a flat bottom barge and runs the yacht ( about 5 ft draught)onto the barge at high water. The tide goes out... Barge drains, he puts the door up and floats it with the next tide. I think it only draws about 6 ".... slides it right up to his back door.

Mike Field
04-26-2001, 09:27 PM
That sounds a pretty smart idea, John -- is it patented? :)

Actually, our Mangrove Police would be on to me too, if they knew. But what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over....

I'm as conservation-minded as the next bloke, but what many people don't understand is that to conserve a resource means to use it wisely, for the most benefit. Too many of our greenies mistake preservation for conservation -- they're not the same thing at all. It seems to me that an awful lot of "conservationists" are nothing of the kind -- they're preservationists, which is a whole different kettle of fish altogether. (A kettle of Luddites, really, when I think about it.)

Time to step down from my soapbox....

Hey, that's a good photo of Waione you've posted on My Wooden Boat, by the way. What a great gallery it's turning out to be, eh?

Andreas Wiese
04-27-2001, 09:05 AM
What's the Mangrove status down in Sunny Corner, I wonder...JohnR?

John R Smith
04-27-2001, 11:02 AM
You know, I can't recall too many mangroves next to our berth. Funny, that. But what we do have, right now, is gorse in gorgeous yellow bloom and blackthorn in snowy white. Right next to the boat, at the back of the quay. And last Saturday we got out on the river at last - HOORAY!!! - anchored up for tea just below Malpas, and then were fortunate enough to be visited by an Atlantic Grey seal, who hung around for 20 minutes or so.

John

Mike Field
04-27-2001, 10:45 PM
Perhaps your problem at Sunny Corner is no Mangrove Police, John? So people just openly, blatantly, and brazenly came along and pulled them all up? I really don't know what the world's coming to....

(Please, Your Honour, I wasn't even IN Sunny Corner on the night of 26 April last...)

But the gorse and the blackthorn sound nice. We have plenty of gorse in the paddocks here, but no blackthorn. (No Blackthorn Police either -- perhaps that's why....) We do have lots of hawthorn, though -- is that anything like it?

John, here's a thought. Can you post a river chart or some such somewhere, so we can follow Lulu's voyages this season?

Here's a low-quality chart of my neck-of-the-woods, Western Port, Oz. Wooden Boat Fittings' location is marked by the red dot at top dead centre. (I can email a better-quality copy to anyone who's really interested.)

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1231924&a=11035110&p=38405607&Sequence=0&res=high
Western Port (northern part)

Garrett Lowell
03-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Is there anyone more courteous in their postings than Andreas Wiese?

John Gearing
03-10-2005, 08:12 PM
bimp...