PDA

View Full Version : Hey Southeasterners! (hurricanes)

huisjen
08-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Are All Y'all watching those two (potential) hurricanes barreling toward you?

Bonnie:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT02/refresh/AL0204W5+GIF/102123W5.gif

Charlie:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0304W5+GIF/102123W5.gif

Dan

[ 08-10-2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: huisjen ]

Concordia..41
08-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Yep and yep. Our worst damage to date was from Gabriele in 2001, which came across the state from the Gulf. :eek:

- M

High C
08-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah, I'm watching. It's the tropical storms that originate in the Gulf that do us the most harm.

Looks like both of those are headed fro Irmo! :eek:

Paul Pless
08-10-2004, 08:05 PM
ooh. I'm on the edge of those tracks. While I wish no ill towards my neighbors, I see good low pressure fishing the next couple of days.

John C. Gresham
08-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Irmo hasn't had a good hurricane since Hugo came through, and I was 7 at the time.

That was a few years ago.

Think it's time for another?

Meerkat
08-11-2004, 01:37 AM
NWC has said this is going to be an extra active year. Is this an early start to the hurricane season?

Gresham CA
08-11-2004, 06:34 AM
That 1:00AM Friday shot of Bonnie is right smack on Irmo. MOst of the times when they make it to us they aren't much more than a big thunderstorm. I'm 'spose to be going to St. Augustine Friday morning. I guess we'll see what happens.

Mark Van
08-11-2004, 06:46 AM
The projected track puts Charlie's eye right over me at 3:00 friday morning. Why does bad weather allways happen at 3:00 am? It is a fast moving storm, I don't think it will have time to build into anything major. I'll be up some mangrove creek fighting mosquitos.

km gresham
08-11-2004, 07:13 AM
:eek: In the words of one Gresham son when he was 2, "I not like it storms!" Just yesterday the weather bunnies here were saying no worries, we won't be affected. That's what they know! I WANT A JOB WHERE YOU NEVER HAVE TO BE RIGHT!

I hadn't seen those charts, Dan. They do look ugly.

John C. Gresham
08-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Maybe this weekend I'll be battening down the hatches and staying ashore...problem is, I've got company staying aboard Friday.

We'll see what happens.

Mrleft8
08-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Damn! Looks like another wet weekend! :mad: It's been so wet and cold this "summer" that my tomatoes are getting late blight.... I suppose this means we'll have a long dry autumn...

km gresham
08-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Lots of plans might get changed this weekend. Looks like a 1-2 punch from Bonnie and Clyde..um, Charlie.

Concordia..41
08-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Somewhere on line I think I've seen wind and rainfall projections. Anyone know/can find the links? That'd be helpful for planning purposes. :(

Mark Van
08-11-2004, 08:29 AM
National Hurricane Center (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/)

Jim H
08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Is this an early start to the hurricane season?Not really, in fact there had been so little tropical activity that the NHC had just reduced their storm predictions. The next day both systems appeared. :D

Ross M
08-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey... Charlie's track goes right over the top of my head! (well, about 20 miles west anyway)

Ross

High C
08-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
NWC has said this is going to be an extra active year. Is this an early start to the hurricane season?Actually it's quite late. Usually by now there have been several named storms come and go. September, though, is usually the worst month, at least for the Gulf.

km gresham
08-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Yep, it is a late start, but they seem to be making up for lost time. :eek:

John C. Gresham
08-12-2004, 04:24 AM
Bump...keeping an eye on the charts. hehe

Mark Van
08-12-2004, 09:40 AM
I just figured out why I was having trouble getting insurance. The insurance companies know that my boat is a hurricane magnet. This will be my 5th storm in 3 years, this season just started. In the future, I will try to keep everybody posted as to where I will be during hurricane season, so you can avoid those areas.

High C
08-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Mark Van:
I just figured out why I was having trouble getting insurance. Mine went up almost 25% this year. :mad:

I may have to drop down to liability only and take my chances with the boat.

David Tabor (sailordave)
08-12-2004, 12:51 PM
And did you notice both tracks go RIGHT over Wash. DC
Good chance to wipe out the Congress Critters, bad if it floods my area. Thankfully I don't live in a downhil area.

Concordia..41
08-12-2004, 07:20 PM
I may have to drop down to liability only and take my chances with the boat. Before you do that, shop around. Our insurance company had us for years with gradual (and sometimes steep) increases. I think they figure they raise everyone's rates and bank on the fact that greater than half won't bother to shop around (especially when you need a new survey to change coverage).

After several years of increases, we bit the bullet and got a new survey and shopped for rates. Ended up adding the boat to our Allstate policy. And get this - those nice folks at Allstate also added the Concordia (as is - per a survey valuation) :D Can anyboday say YES!!!!!!

Heck, even the wooden boat insurers didn't want to touch the work in progress :(

Now...back to topic...

I waited until the 11 am update and then headed to the boatyard. In about two hours we removed all of the tarp cover and enclosure to reduce windage. I excused the volunteers, took a break, and then I spent several hours alternately cleaning up the worksite by picking up all loose wood and debris, moving the wood stock to the tool trailer, and getting any actual pieces of the boat into the storage container.

Then it got weird. I didn't have any weather updates so just now found out that Bonnie totally disapated, but down there it was like everyone just left. The yards on either side of us closed at 4:30 and 5:00 respectively and most owners left when the gates were locked.

But I just couldn't leave. I sat and I paced and I sat and I paced, and just kept thinking I'd missed something or done something stupid. And as I sat and paced, I noticed things like a jack stand that I'd lowered to pull screws and not put back in place and the plumb line that Dave had hung off the bow (to make sure the boat doesn't settle in the soft sand) but which doesn't need to be blowing in the wind.

So I hope she'll be ok. It was really hard without Dave. He was so smart, and he had everything put together so we could take it apart for a storm. Breaking down the enclosure, I knew there was a system. Sometimes I could follow the system, sometimes I couldn't. When I couldn't, the knife and/or cordless drill moved me to the next step. :(

I'm rambling, I'm sorry, today's been bad. Anyway, Charlie won't be here until late tomorrow at the earliest. I'll get down again in the morning and again before any real storm hits.

- M

[ 08-12-2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

DavesFlatsBoat
08-12-2004, 08:03 PM
She's shifted a little north - and now predicted to come ashore near Bayport - 15 miles due west of me....... Yuk!!!!!

huisjen
08-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Satilite Images from the National Weather Service (http://www.goes.noaa.gov/g8severe.html)

km gresham
08-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear it was a bad day, Margo. Charles and his friend are still planning their whirlwind trip to Sailor's Exchange. If they're open. They'll get there sometime tomorrow afternoon and head back mid-day Sat. That's the plan now, at least.

Keep those hatches battened! Hope tomorrow is a better day. smile.gif

Mark Van
08-12-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm as ready as I will ever be, now I just have to wait. The projected path puts it a bit west of me, but way too close for comfort. I'm sure tomorrow will not be a good day for sailing around here. I am in a nice isolated mangrove creek, but close enough to hear the evacuation notices from the loudspeakers.

imported_Steven Bauer
08-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Take extra care, all you Floridian types. Been thinking of you Margo, I know these storms have been hard on Sarah's shelters in the past. It's nice to hear that you have some volunteers helping you. Up here it's just rain, rain, rain!

Steven

huisjen
08-13-2004, 06:23 AM
Yike. And this puts the whole west coast of Florida in the more dangerous semi-circle of the storm's track. Good luck to all of you.

I wish it could miss you all on it's way to me. Here on the east side of Penobscot Bay we're pretty dry. We got a shower this morning, but nothing significant yet. We could really use a good soaker.

Dan

Chris Boers
08-13-2004, 06:44 AM
My parents are in a retirement community in Fort Myers. They told me they will probably have to evacuate to a shelter on the property sometime this morning. Luckily, they are mobile. i feel sorry for the less mobile residents.

Norske3
08-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Oh my....a hurricane and Friday the 13th too! :eek:

Mark Van
08-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Good morning, folks. I'm sitting here in the mangroves waiting. It looks pretty scary. NOAA says the storm is moving NNW, but it looks like it is heading due north on the Key West radar. I hope it doesn't head any further east. I should be in the worst of it early afternoon. High tide is 11:30.

John Bell
08-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Good luck Mark!

(How do you do internet on the hook, anyway?)

Mark Van
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
I use Sprint. $80.00 a month for unlimited access. The speed is about the same as a regular phone line. I don't expect to be able to use it late this afternoon, looks like the eye is going to be pretty close to here. The tidal surge won't bother me, but I would preffer the winds stay down below 70 or so, the mangroves aren't too high around here.

High C
08-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Jesus Mark, it's a Cat 4 now, and headed in between Ft Myers and Tampa. So you'll be on the worse side of it.

Prayers from the swamp....

Joe (SoCal)
08-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Best of luck report in when you can.
:eek:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GIFS/ECVS.JPG

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/MOVIES/ECVS.mpg

Concordia..41
08-13-2004, 01:56 PM
It's still fine here. Angi is between Orlando and Sanford and says it's just starting to blow and that they had a tornado around Disney.

Hope we hear from Mark soon....

km gresham
08-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Charles postponed the trip to St Augustine, but only because they closed St Augustine! ;) Actually he called Sailor's Exchange and they told him they would "likely" be closed. I told him when he was going down to note that all the other vehicles would be coming OUT of Florida!

Y'all hang on down there! :eek:

Ross M
08-13-2004, 02:12 PM
First heavy thunderstorms passed over about an hour ago. Tornado 10 miles south about the same time, tornados 15 miles north 1/2 hr ago. Should see the center here about 8:00pm.

Could be a long wait...

Ross

km gresham
08-13-2004, 02:14 PM
:(

Ross M
08-13-2004, 02:15 PM
From what I can tell, Mark is probably getting the brunt of it about now. Keeping my fingers crossed for him!

Ross

Concordia..41
08-13-2004, 02:48 PM
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/strm3_surgefore_720x486.jpg

TimH
08-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Just talked to my cousin in Fort Lauderdale. Sunny there, looks like they will miss all the exitement.

Mark Van
08-13-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm still fine, the sprint tower is (amazingly) still working. I think we got about 8 foot rise here, the current in the creek I am in has stopped. It was up to about 4 knots earlier. I am anitsipating lots of crap coming down the creek when it starts to drop. It seems to be winding down a bit, still blowing like stink out of the west.

Hwyl
08-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Good to see you are O.K. Mark. Sit tight until it blows over.

Ross M
08-13-2004, 04:52 PM
TV news report 5:35 pm

Hardee county EOC is on fire

Desoto county EOC roof is gone

Things still ok here...

Ross

imported_Dutch
08-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Eoc? emergency operations?

Concordia..41
08-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Hardee county EOC is on fire
Trying not to laugh about a serious situation, but how in the heck does one catch one's emergency operations center on fire??? :eek:

It's still quiet here. Raining slightly now and we had one heavy spell.

Wind = WSW @ 5 with gusts to 33

Ross M
08-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Yup - emergency operations center

Core approaching my county's southern border.

Expecting core to arrive about 1 hour.

Path still going dead overhead

Still cat 3

smile.gif

[ 08-13-2004, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Ross M ]

Meerkat
08-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Hoo! Maybe "Pirates of the Carribean" will end up in your back yard! :D

Joe (SoCal)
08-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Hey MIke how about a political joke this looks like a good place to post one

Ross Glad to hear your OK I'm gonna call my dad in Port St Luci now

Ross M
08-13-2004, 05:46 PM
The big trees are a weaving... is it time to start drinking yet?

smile.gif Ross

Jim H
08-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Ross M:
The big trees are a weaving... is it time to start drinking yet?

smile.gif RossYou haven't started yet? Better make up for lost time! Stay safe.

Ross M
08-13-2004, 06:02 PM
It's a moot point now!

Small debris seems to be pretty active.

Coming right up US highway 17... won't be long now. Winds predominately from the southeast.

Ross

Joe (SoCal)
08-13-2004, 06:59 PM
http://www.beercollections.com/Breweries/Florida/Images/IM090017.gif

Concordia..41
08-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Donn - Hadn't thought about that. :( The Edison Ford Estates is one of those little-known but must-see places. Have you been? You must have, you plant lover you.

I have a banyan tree from there :D One of the few times I truly rendered Dave speachless. We'd finished the tour and he went to the parking lot for a smoke, and I headed to the gift shop. After the first couple of years with me, it took quite a bit to shock him, but when I told him to pull the car up so we could load the banyan tree he had a genuine deer-in-the-headlights look.

Ok, so they grow to 70' tall and can cover over an acre. That's no reason to freak out...

http://www.public.asu.edu/~dianeb/images/banyan.jpg

[ 08-13-2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

huisjen
08-13-2004, 07:39 PM
I hope anyone out there with a portable sawmill is getting ready to go salvage, er, assist with the clean up. I'm imagining a race between them and the guys with the chippers who just want those big oak trunks out of the way. :eek:

Dan

Mark Van
08-14-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm back to the old spot now. There was a lot less damage to boats in the harbor than I expected. Most of the boats that the owners prepared came through all right. A few sunk boats, though. I am one of the few people in town with power, and my cell phone works still. This storm affected my lifestyle less than people who live on land, although I will run out of beer and ice tomorrow. Perhaps my liver needs a break anyway.

Jim H
08-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Good Deal! Glad you made it Mark! How about the rest of you Floridians?

High C
08-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Way to go Mark! Thank heaven that you're safe, many were not so fortunate. :(

km gresham
08-16-2004, 12:52 PM
It went by McClellanville (where Hugo came in) and they had 85 MPH winds. My father and his family are there. Some roads were impassable and there were limbs down in the yard. Nothing like Hugo, though.

:eek:

What I don't understand are the people in Fla. who stayed in their mobile homes during this storm! I can't imagine staying in a house in the path of a class 4 hurricane, much less a trailer!