PDA

View Full Version : applying epoxy the vertical surfaces

frameshop
05-08-2003, 03:29 PM
I have just glassed (10 oz ) both sides of my current project, Ken Hankinson's cuddy sport 24, see
www.imagestation.com (http://www.imagestation.com) albums, cuddy sport 24.
( I never could get a picture over hear)
and am scratching my head as I try to figure out how to apply the glass and epoxy to the nearly vertical sides??????? I figured I would staple the cloth over the hard chines and let it drape down the sides to the sheer, and then!!!! How do I get the goo on the sides? use a heavy roller? that tends to gather up the cloth as it goes along. I have done this before on a strip canoe and on a haven 12 1/2 I built but they were curved hulls and you just continued down the sides, this is 26' of vertical surface. I know that somewhere out there someone knows the trick of doing this without spilling all that expensive goo on the ground. Help!!!!!! Roger

[ 05-08-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: frameshop ]

TimothyB
05-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Here is an article that deals with exactly what you are talking about:

http://www.georgebuehler.com/Coating.html

--T

On Vacation
05-08-2003, 04:17 PM
On verticle surfaces, as on all bare surfaces of wood, you will need to wet out a thin coat of epoxy, to saturate the wood. Make sure you don't load it up. WE use a short nap foam or a mohair roller to do this job. Make sure its a solvent resisitant roller head. Whne you do this, you will not need to staple it to the surface, Allow to become tacky or soak in a bit befor applying your cloth to the surface. Make sure you dry fit your glass befor you attempt to do your work. Cut the fabric "fat" when dry fitting the glass. Mark with a sharpe marker areas that will allow you to place to the surface close to where you will need it to be. Roll the fabric after fit on a piece of PVC to allow for you to place it neatly on the surface, and not having the whole bulky mess just laying on the tacky resin. Apply some wet resin to the top of the glass, and trowel it out with concrete trowel, for large areas or use the yellow squeegy body shop type to pull the small areas out.

JimD
05-08-2003, 04:18 PM
I've always just held a squeegie to the cloth and poured the epoxy from a cup so the epoxy pours onto the squeegie , a sort of simultaneous pour and spread.

jlapratt
05-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Ditto on the squegee method; worked very well for me. Use some tape to hold the cloth on the bottom of the hull, I'd avoid staples if I could. I used a brush to slather on the epoxy near the top of the glass and worked it in with the plastic body-filler squegee. Takes a few times to get just the right amount of epoxy so you don't end up with a big expensive puddle of googe on the floor. :eek: Apply just enough to wet out the cloth and come back the next day to fill in the weave. Cloth sticks to the wood and doesn't move any more than when overworking a horizontal surface. Trim the cloth when the epoxy is green (set enough to allow cutting with a razor blade).

Jeff

[ 05-08-2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: jlapratt ]