PDA

View Full Version : Rousing Condemnation of Saudi Royal Family

WWheeler
01-28-2003, 04:41 PM
After spending some time working in Saudi, I found this interesting.

The Two Faces of Islam: The House of Sa'ud from Tradition to Terror (http://www.globebooks.com/servlet/ArticleNews/gbreview/TGAM/20030125/BKISLA/globebooks/PEglobebooks/globebooks-review)

Briefly, Schwartz's thesis is this: The princes of Saudi Arabia share power and the fabulous wealth of their petro-dollars with a hereditary priestly hierarchy overseeing a cultic travesty of Islam known as Wahhabism, after its 18th-century founder. Muhammad Ibn Abd al-Wahhab was a poorly educated, narrow-minded, homicidal fanatic whose idiosyncratic, austere and uncharitable vision for his religion flew in the face of its own teachings and those accorded to its Prophet.

N. Scheuer
01-28-2003, 04:51 PM
So, wha'd'ya think about Religious Freedom?

Moby Nick

Ken Hall
01-28-2003, 05:19 PM
So what else is new? ;)

PatCox
01-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Here's the amazing thing about going to war against Iraq.

We were attacked by Saudi Arabians (15 of the 19) led by a Saudi Arabian (Bin Laden.)

Al Qaeda is a saudi Arabian movement based on the Saudi Arabian religion of Wahabism.

Al Qaeda is funded by Saudi Arabians. Bin Laden's personal fortune has been gone for years. The press mentions it all the time so that noone will simply follow the money.

So, we were attacked by saudis, who acted because they are fanatical adherents of the saudi religion, acting under the orders of a saudi, all funded by saudis.

And who do we attack? Iraq, of course.

Tonight, the president is going to say that there is some "connection" between Iraq and Al Qeada. But its not 1/10th the connection between Al Qaeda and Saudi Arabia.

Anyone remember the first video tape of Bin Laden after we invaded Afghanistan, there was another man in it, he was described as a "prominent Saudi cleric." He travelled from Saudi Arabia to Afghanistan while we were bombing, apparently travel was that free.

I am inclined to believe Bin Laden has gone home and thats why we won't find him. Not can't, won't. Thats probably why we are invading Irqa, so people will forget about Bin Laden (remember the "Get him, dead or alive," which turned into "We aren't very concerned with him?"

I want to conduct a poll. Here is a significant fact, an absolute, verifiable fact, about the Saudis, which I beleive is relevant to any understanding of the middle east and what we are really dealing with; I'd like to know how many are aware of this: a couple of months ago, members of the Saudi royal family appeared in a telethon on saudi TV, to raise money to support the suicide bombers in Israel. Yup, the Saudis give a bounty to the families of the hamas suicide bombers. It comes to around $20,000 to $30,000 per family.

So just who is our friend and who is our enemy over there? And why are we attacking Iraq again?

Scott Rosen
01-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Pat, there's no sport in pointing out hypocricy. There's so much of it, one has to ignore it just to keep sane. If you judged all nations by their level of hypocricy, you'd have to condemn them all as worthless. Can't do that. It's not practical.

I'm fairly certain that we and our allies, including the Saudis, have been discussing the division of the spoils in Iraq for quite some time. For example, do you think it's just coincidence that the Russians are now saying they would support stronger action against Iraq? Bush says he doesn't need a coalition because once the fighting starts others will join in. Well, Heck Yes! They'll join in, because they want to share in the booty.

I'd love to see the agreement and hear the discussions between Colin Powell and his counterparts in England, Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc. France, no doubt, is holding out for a better deal. Those of you who think there's not enough diplomacy are missing the big picture. LOL

Ken Hall
01-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Personally, it is my devout hope that al Saud be the last domino, but I ain't holding my breath....

JimD
01-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Anyone else ever read Jack Andersons's book 'Fiasco'? Interesting reading on the Saudi/US oil connection during the Nixon/Kissinger era?
jimd