X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uncas
    Ancient Mariner
    • Sep 2004

What is a professional

Have been having a discussion with Ish about what classifies as a professional. Vaguely remember a post a year ago on the same subject but...heck we all have short memories.
    Is it only one who is paid for a service worthy of the title professional?

This came up as I have been asked to submit two more poems for a new guide to the Chesapeake...to go along with the one submitted and put in, in the earlier edition.
    Pay...well maybe...

[ 11-22-2005, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: uncas ]
  • uncas
    Ancient Mariner
    • Sep 2004

So Bush is a prefess ional?....

Comment

• glowell222
      • Apr 2002

Main Entry: 1pro·fes·sion·al
      Pronunciation: pr&-'fesh-n&l, -'fe-sh&-n&l
      Function: adjective
      1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
      2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
      3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
      Berryville, VA: A quaint little drinking community with a farming problem.

Comment

• Tom Fetter
        Recalcitrant Heretic
        • Jun 2003

Professional would technically mean someone being paid to do it. In my view, though, it speaks more about the quality and technical ability of the person doing the job, and the attitude the person applies to it.

Hired two separate plumbers last winter - paid them both. The first was entirely unprofessional, primarily in his work ethic and willingness to show up when he said. Which is why the second plumber came on board. Ray's semi-retired, and now does this "for fun." But he was FAR more professional...

Applies to plumbers, poets, musicians, doctors, etc...
        If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• uncas
          Ancient Mariner
          • Sep 2004

Garrett...ya cheated...ya went to the big book.
          Tom...I agree...
          Now when I went through the civil service paperwork..
          Professional was wrapped neatly around having a college degree which made no sense to me at the time and still doesn't.

Comment

• Gary E
            • Sep 2001

So's da guy beging your spare change while standing on the corner or the middle of the city street...

So, shrubie is a pro, huh...

Comment

• uncas
              Ancient Mariner
              • Sep 2004

Yup...based on Norman's definition.Bush knows more than I do..... Look at all of that intelligence Bush has received..He has gotta have more knowledge on the subject than I do.
              Now paying attention to that intelligence is something else again.

Comment

• Another One
                Tryin' to figure it out
                • Sep 2005

I've worked with attorneys off & on for about 10 years. I have a bachelor's degree, a technical diploma and some master's work, totalling about 8 years of school. Attorneys have a total of 7 years of school, and then I have to teach them their job. They are professionals , and I am a paraprofessional. Riddle me that?

For that matter, many of the folks here have significant higher education, experience and insight into a particular field. I guess the question is, at what point does one cross the line? Is there a line to cross? Is it all a nebulous, semi-defunct designation anyway?

Or maybe I'm just having a bad day . . .
                www.stonejugphoto.com

Comment

Working...