PDA

View Full Version : Moving Jester... any ideas

Kannon Bosatsu
08-18-2002, 04:49 PM
I am planning on moving Jester down the coast. The hour long comute up to East bootbay isn't worth it. Now that I realize she needs so much work, I need to do some work to make some money to work on her. Work, work, work...

As I've said in previous posts, I've removed the garboards and two planks above them. I've also removed about six floor timbers, and there is one frame that disintegrated in my hand. Her lines are good though and I'd like to retain them on the hour long move down east. Today I replaced the deadwood keel, or false keel. I wedged it into place behind the lead bulb and strapped it in tight with a couple of strap clamps. Is that enough to now move her or should I try to run some lag bolts through the keelson (as I'm replacing it anyways) into the deadwood? Also should I run ribbands along the frames to meke up for the lack of planking? Any comments or further ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance...

Kannon Bosatsu
08-18-2002, 04:51 PM
By the by, she's a 34' yawl, built in 1953 and still pretty solid...

Kannon Bosatsu
08-19-2002, 09:58 PM
Sorry to move this to the front again, but I'm pretty lost out here and sure could use some advice...

Mr. Know It All
08-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Jester......You need to talk to the guys who move boats for a living. Check out the local guys where your boat is stored. You could contact a marine surveyor and possibly get some advise over the phone. I'll bet Ed Harrow could give you some advise but just hasn't seen this thread. Try e-mailing him direct if his e-mail addy is in is profile. Hang in there. I'm sure someone in the know will pop in here. Wish I knew more and could be of more help.
Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

Bayboat
08-19-2002, 11:17 PM
Wandering Jester: By all means contact a professional boat mover, and if the pocketbook allows, let him move it.
It's hard without seeing her to advise you on propping up and protecting various parts. If she's really loose and needs a lot of support here and there, again let a professional prepare her and do the moving. Also, when she's ready to be moved, take a lot of photographs and have a surveyor inspect her. Then if anything goes wrong or gets broken or bent out of shape because of the move, take lots more photographs and have her surveyed again before she's unloaded. Engage a lawyer if it looks like litigation will result. I know all this might sound like a lot of fuss and borrowing trouble, but moving an old boat or one that is not sound is a pretty chancy business.

[ 08-20-2002, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Bayboat ]

WWheeler
08-20-2002, 08:29 AM
I'm now faced with the same problem, of moving a project boat to my home base so that I can work on it. Being a 25' gaffer with a big keel, the options are limited to a flat bed truck with a crane, or a marine hauler with a split axle trailer.

I've opted for the latter, since the split axle is able to back into the shed where I'm going to work on her. A crane can only do overhead lifts, which would leave in the open. However... in order to use a split axle, you need a good cradle, so that's another project I'm having to work on. The marinas around here are just full of the d*** things, but none are available used, and they need to be custom built for the boat anyway. Typically welded in steel, (2x4 box tubing) with adjustable mounts. Also can be built in wood; some claim that there's less vibration while hauling.

See the thread "A cradle for Gypsy" to see a drawing that I'm sending to the cradle builder. I can also post some recent pics.

In your case, you'll probably need to assess whether she's stable. Most of the weight rests on the keel, but some also rests on the frames. Sorry, it's hard to assess without seeing her. (even if I were qualified). Hope this helps.

[ 08-20-2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: WWheeler ]

Ed Harrow
08-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Sounds like we're both looking at similar conditions/status. I really wonder if Phoenix were picked up now if her ballast would rise to the occassion, LOL. I suspect this is an issue for Jester in her current state as well (nothing much left holding keel to frames once the garboards are off.

http://home.fiam.net/eeharrow/harrowhtm/2002/MumincabJPG.JPG

These are the guys I'd use, impressed the heck out of me, but EBoothbay is a long way from home for them. Surely there are people there who can advise you. Talk with Rick Prose out at Harbor Fields. Definately go with a pro boat mover. Suggest that you check around, you may find some that, like Brownell, are not even remotely interested in moving wooden boats, and other who'd prefer to move them.

Paul Scheuer
08-20-2002, 12:28 PM
It seems like a good set of mesurements taken before the move would be prudent. At least you'll know how much damage was done in transit. My sense of it is that in a fully assembled craft, all the parts work against each other to distribute all the stresses. With some parts removed, it's like a house of cards. If it were me, I wouldn't mess with an actual cradle. I'd start with a pile of lumber and spend about two days bracing everything that might move.

Ron Williamson
08-20-2002, 04:19 PM
WWheeler
What would your boat draw?
I watched a local boat hauler almost pick up a 37' steel boat with an hydraulic split trailer.He was really close,but the issue was the 5' draft.He also had a support strap to take some of the point loads from the pads down to the keel.
R

Ross Faneuf
08-20-2002, 07:05 PM
I use Drinkwater Boat Transport in Rockland ME. Alan Drinkwater is extremely experienced, and a genuine character. He has a Brownell, which may not be suitable for this job, but he probably knows someone who has just the right rig.

wolfietuk
08-21-2002, 05:00 AM
I watched a split axel marine hauler bring in a 40' sloop into sea Island boatworks about a month ago. With the keel almost on the ground the waterline was well over my head. The boatbuilder told me 40' was as big as the trailer would handle.

Rick