PDA

View Full Version : WERU in Blue Hill.

bamamick
12-05-2004, 12:38 PM
As I sit here in my office on a very rainy Sunday morning I am listening to WERU via the internet. Is that cool, or what?

Is it true that one of the Peter, Paul, and Mary guys owns that station? It's a keeper, that's for sure.

Mickey Lake

huisjen
12-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Katey here, not Dan.

WERU began broadcasting out of Noel (Paul) Stookey's converted chicken house some years ago. Now they have their own studio and facilities on Rt 1 in Orland.

Having WERU around is much like having a college radio station in town without the inconvenience of having the actual college.

Many, possibly all, of their local staff are volunteers. Each summer they put on a fundraiser: the Full Circle Fair, a happy hippie gathering a few weeks before the Blue Hill Fair (of Charlotte's Web fame).

It's the only FM radio station we can get without an antenna... sometimes handy.

Katey

Chris Coose
12-05-2004, 01:39 PM
There are a number of WBF staff who are or have been staff at WERU.
Boy, was I glad to hear that station come on when it did. It was a media desert on MDI at the time.

yorgie
12-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Just listening to it for the first time.They're playing some old reggae right now.I'll check out the program guide and see if I wan't to listen regularly.Sounds like Elvis Costello is playing now. smile.gif

JeffH
12-05-2004, 05:57 PM
The Barefoot Blues Hour, Reggae Drive-Through, X-tra Large Soul Show, and World of Music guys are all boatbuilders. The Drive-Through is by far the absolute best reggae show I have ever heard in my life. Not so much for the music (which is great) but for the host, Carlton Johnson [Redfern Boats]. Deadpan Downeast meets reggae... What a hoot :D

The Friday afternoon (11-2) DJ is fantanstic, if sometimes he talks too much. The Monday afternoon DJ is also wonderful. The Saturday and Sunday Morning Coffeehouses are well worth listening to. Like the weather, if there's something you don't like, wait a minute. It'll change...

They're fundraising now, so don't judge show quality 'till next week....

Jeff

imported_Steven Bauer
12-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Another great station is WFUV, Fordham University's Voice. If you aren't in the NYC area they are on the web at www.wfuv.org (http://www.wfuv.org) . A lot of the DJs from the old WNEW are there now.

Steven