PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather steaming(?)

nedL
12-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Does anyone have experience with cold weather steam bending? I'm concerned with the idea of pulling 10' x 3/4"x7/8" ribs out of the steam box & getting them bent & clamped into place before they cool too much when I'm working outside in the cold (we'll say about 35deg. F). As this is for re-ribbing & the boat is gutted there will be no delay in figureing out exactly where the ribs are to be placed (just clamp them next to the old rib until it is time to switch them). Should this go ok, or am I just going to end up with a pile of broken oak?
I like Ken Hutchen's method of steaming in place, but let's say that isn't available for me at this time.

jwaldin
12-09-2003, 09:27 AM
How long do you figure it'll take to get a rib in place?

nedL
12-09-2003, 11:32 AM
I figure I should be able to have them 90% there in less than 30 seconds. The boat has round bilges, flat bottom & no reverse bends at all (think big bathtub ;) )

Nicholas Carey
12-10-2003, 12:45 AM
Since you're reframing, you might consider doing it in stages.

Remove every third or fourth frame (this leaves enough framing in place to give the hull enough structure.

Steam and bend in the new frames in the place of the old, fastening them down whilst hot (it helps to have a crew here).

Then repeat with the next round of frames until you're done.

That being said, I don't think you'll have any problems getting them bent in. Just work fast.

jwaldin
12-10-2003, 07:52 AM
Yeah, what he said.

Walcheren
12-10-2003, 10:27 PM
30 seconds, 3/4" x 7/8", no problem at above freezing but I would get at least one helper, preferably two. Two to put them in, one to keep track of the steambox and putting ribs in and taking them out.

nedL
12-11-2003, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the replys guys! So maybe all isn't lost for getting them in before it gets any colder. - I will be working alone (unfortunately that's normal for me). I plan on setting the steam box up so that its' end is easy to get to when inside the boat. That way I can tend the box from inside & don't have to keep climbing in & out. Just pull out a rib & bend. ;)

[ 12-11-2003, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: nedL ]

Mrleft8
12-11-2003, 07:11 AM
When do you want to do this? I'll come lend a hand, and I bet the "vagabond riveting crew" will come along too (if you have good food ;) ).