PDA

View Full Version : Pictures don't lie. Do they?

NormMessinger
12-04-2003, 05:09 PM
MORE PHOTOGRAPHIC DISHONESTY FROM PRESIDENT BUSH

In the most famous picture from his trip to Baghdad, President Bush had
himself artfully photographed to look like he was serving turkey to the
troops. The image was emblazoned on front pages throughout the country - and
now appears to be an entirely false depiction.

According to the Washington Post, Bush was actually holding "a decoration,
not a serving plate." In other words, he was holding a prop, not real food,
and thus only pretending for the cameras to be serving up the holiday meal.

The Post notes that "the foray has opened new credibility questions for a
White House that has dealt with issues" like this in the past. In fact, the
flap marks the second such distortion in as many days about his trip to
Baghdad. Just yesterday it was revealed that the White House's tall tale of
Air Force One crossing paths with a British Airways plane was entirely
false.

The deceptive picture also harkens back to the controversy surrounding the
President's "Mission Accomplished" banner. On May 1, he stood on the deck of
the U.S.S. Lincoln in front of the giant sign and declared that "major
combat operations have ended." Since that time, more troops have been killed
or wounded than before he made that statement, prompting more questions
about his photo-op.

When asked why he chose to stand in front of the "Mission Accomplished"
banner at a press conference six months later, Bush "disavowed the
background banner," saying the White House staff had nothing to do with
producing it. But then Navy and administration officials admitted the
President had been dishonest, saying that "the White House actually made
it." White House spokesman Scott McClellan specifically said, "We took care
of the production of it. We have people to do those things."

Of course, Bush's penchant for taking misleading and dishonest photos has
not been confined to Iraq. In July of 2002, the President visited a
low-income housing development in Atlanta to tout his commitment to funding
it. He then proposed a budget that eliminated its funding. Similarly, the
President visited a Boys and Girls Club in January of 2003 to tout the
organization's efforts. He said the club "has got a grand history of helping children."
Just four days after his photo-op, he proposed to cut 15% out of funding
for the Boys and Girls Club.

Read the Mis-Lead -->
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1332679&l=10920

oldriverat
12-04-2003, 05:31 PM
http://www.georgewbushdance.com/bush30.gif

Don Olney
12-04-2003, 05:36 PM
With the way this story is going, it'll probably turn out that the turkey on the platter was the one he pardoned back in Washington, D.C. tongue.gif

oldriverat
12-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Neat link. Lots of pretty pictures.

http://www.bushflash.com/ma.html

J. Dillon
12-04-2003, 06:04 PM
I bet he or his staff will orchestrate many more photo ops before the polls open next Nov. tongue.gif

On tax payers money BTW :(

Jim H
12-04-2003, 06:11 PM
I could swear I saw a shot of him serving in the chow line flanked by some officers. IIRC, the one to his right was a young female officer.

Don, I betcha that was one of them Enron turkeys...finally a link!

Jack Heinlen
12-04-2003, 06:17 PM
What a stupid thing. You would think if his handlers could spend millions of dollars to fly him there they could at least put a real turkey, on a real platter, about to be eaten by real soldiers, in his hands when it came time for photogs. :rolleyes: I mean com'on, how hard is that?

And who spends their time digging up these little zingers? There's a much worse waste of time and money. :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting the flight to Bagdhad was a waste of money, but whatever they're paying the people who arranged a phony photo-op with an erzats turkey, on Thanksgiving when probably 200 real roast turkeys are knocking about, it's too much.

Who cares? Though it is mildly interesting to hear about how images are manipulated. It would be a lot easier if they just weren't. But then, an old girlfriend invented Donkey Kong cereal, so what can I say? smile.gif

Shang
12-04-2003, 06:36 PM
"While photographs may not lie, liars may photograph."
--LEWIS HINE

oldriverat
12-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Donn:
Mike...you're as much of a liar as you claim Bush is. Sobriety seems to agree with you. :rolleyes: And active alcoholism doesn't agree with you.

Meerkat
12-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Memphis Mike:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Donn:
Mike...you're as much of a liar as you claim Bush is. Sobriety seems to agree with you. :rolleyes: And active alcoholism doesn't agree with you.</font>[/QUOTE]Drinking Associated with Brain Shrinkage (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&ncid=751&e=1&u=/nm/20031204/hl_nm/brain_drinking_dc)

At last! The source of neoconism discovered! :D

oldriverat
12-04-2003, 06:57 PM
I'm not an alcoholic, Mike, you are.True and you know what? I'm glad! Being an alcoholic is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Shang
12-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Speaking of photographs (thereby getting this thread back on track), does anybody know anything about this item?

...Last October, Dana Milbank reported in the Washington Post that the Pentagon was for the first time enforcing a ban on all media photographs of coffins and body bags leaving the war zone or arriving in America. One official told Milbank that only individual graveside services, open to cameras at the discretion of relatives, give "the full context" of a soldier's sacrifice: "To do it at several stops along the way doesn't tell the full story and isn't representative."

oldriverat
12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Make that two AA's Donn and I've already got one.

oldriverat
12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
I hate to tell you this Shang but the Dubya is in control of the media as well. For obvious reasons, he doesn't want the American people to see all of the body bags.

Jim H
12-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Shang:
Speaking of photographs (thereby getting this thread back on track), does anybody know anything about this item?

...Last October, Dana Milbank reported in the Washington Post that the Pentagon was for the first time enforcing a ban on all media photographs of coffins and body bags leaving the war zone or arriving in America. One official told Milbank that only individual graveside services, open to cameras at the discretion of relatives, give "the full context" of a soldier's sacrifice: "To do it at several stops along the way doesn't tell the full story and isn't representative." Nope, that's been the position of the U.S. Government since the first Gulf War. It was instituted under Bush Sr. and carried on by the Clinton administration.

oldriverat
12-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Mike, don't you have a meeting to go to? Yep, I do. It sure beats the bottle and computer as my evening companion. :D

Steve Paskey
12-04-2003, 07:52 PM
That's a cheap, ugly comment, Donn. Why don't you stick with the issues, and leave out the personal attacks?

oldriverat
12-04-2003, 07:53 PM
To answer your question:

Politics are never discussed at an AA meeting. That's what the WBF is for. :D

Good night Donn. :D

Jonathan Kabak
12-04-2003, 07:55 PM
Here is something to really wonder about where does the term Erzats come from?

JK

Rogue Sailor
12-04-2003, 08:00 PM
According to the Washington Post, Bush was actually holding "a decoration,
not a serving plate." In other words, he was holding a prop, not real food,
and thus only pretending for the cameras to be serving up the holiday meal.
Oh my God! What a travesty!

Big Friggin' Deal!

("I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski")

Shang
12-04-2003, 09:15 PM
"...The Pentagon is pretty good about reporting deaths. Do you need to see a picture to convince you that the death happened?"

No, we are all very much aware that death happens every day in Iraq.

440 since the beginning of the war.
301 since 5/01/03 (the names of these are on a list here: http://antiwar.com/ewens/list.html )
2496 wounded according to official tally.
But if the total number of casualties includes those killed, wounded, and injured or ill enough to require evacuation the number as of today is

rbgarr
12-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Thse numbers don't include non-combatant Iraqi citizens though, no matter who they are killed by.

Jack Heinlen
12-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Donn beat me to it with the 'ersatz' reference. To replace, in other words a phony.

I'm working on my spelling, bear with me. smile.gif

JimD
12-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Its the Turkeygate scandal! I say impeach W, or better yet stuff him with bread, onions, and spices. The public demands to know exactly what did the president serve and when did he serve it? And what was recorded on those crucial minutes of erased tapes? The Whitehouse would have you believe all it said was 'Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble...

Shang
12-04-2003, 10:06 PM
"...Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,
Lest we forget, lest we forget!"

(Donn, you're acting like a bear with a sore paw tonight, what's eating you?)

imported_DutchRub
12-05-2003, 12:46 AM
Mike...you're as much of a liar as you claim Bush is. Sobriety seems to agree with you. :rolleyes: .......... your every bit the creep as I always thought Loon..... :mad:

JimD
12-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by DutchRub:
Mike...you're as much of a liar as you claim Bush is. Sobriety seems to agree with you. :rolleyes: .......... your every bit the creep as I always thought Loon..... :mad: </font>[/QUOTE]Watch it, Dutch, or Donn will correct your spelling mistake.

imported_DutchRub
12-05-2003, 01:03 AM
I'm not an alcoholic, Mike, you are........ Donn you are nothing but a slimey worm of an excuse for a man....attempting to relive the always hoped for, but never realized glory days of your pathetic life by playing a 1st class big shot on a 3rd rate internet chat forum......

JimD
12-05-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by DutchRub:
I'm not an alcoholic, Mike, you are........ Donn you are nothing but a slimey worm of an excuse for a man....attempting to relive the always hoped for, but never realized glory days of your pathetic life by playing a 1st class big shot on a 3rd rate internet chat forum......</font>[/QUOTE]Flawless! No spell checker in the world could find fault with that.

htom
12-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Lies can be told about pictures.

The turkey is probably real (as are the other foods on the tray) and especially prepared to -look- great (which means that it might not be properly cooked for eating.)

The turkey is not meant to be eaten at the main dinner. It's a showpiece. You look at the turkey on the platter as you're standing in line to get to the steam tables with the already-sliced turkey roll (maybe the officer's mess has real sliced turkey; wasn't there, don't know.)

Later, the show turkey is returned to the oven, it's further cooked until it's done, and then eaten by the cooking crew as leftovers or given to a local charity.