PDA

View Full Version : From a wee bit of adversity...

Tar Devil
11-27-2002, 12:28 AM
Working for an airline has it's attributes, but it ain't all rosey. For one thing, we're modern day migrant white collar workers. For a year and 1/2 I've been working way up north, 400 plus miles from my home. 911 almost ruined our industry, some of us more than others. Our planes are flying round full, only because tickets are dirt cheap if you're careful how you buy them. Problem for us... we're losing millions with full airplanes.

For us migrant workers, every holiday is a test of patience and fortitude in our efforts to get back home to loved ones. I thought I'd get a jump on the crowd and leave Pittsburgh a day early... HA!! Everyone else thought the same thing. I eventually wound up in Greensboro, NC, watching the last flight depart for Charlotte where my F-150 waited patiently for me in the employee parking lot.

The silver lining was the fact that my folks live in Thomasville, about 20 minutes away. I called, asked if I could spend the night and catch the first flight to Charlotte in the morning. They had a better idea... they both arrived at the airport with sodas and snacks, ready to drive the 1 1/2 hour trip to Charlotte to my truck.

Now, I visit them often, but there's always the TV, grandkids, nephews, nieces, etc., to compete for the time we spend together. Tonight we had an hour and a half of good, fun conversation while driving between Greensboro and Charlotte, something we seldom are afforded. I hugged them goodbye, thanking them for taking several hours of a late Tuesday evening to get me home and I drove another 55 minutes to my house. Arrived just past midnight and was greeted at the door by my beautiful, wonderful, loving wife. It was the warmest, most meaningful hug a man could ask for.

What the hell else could be wrong in this world? The important stuff is here. Just gotta keep tabs of it!!

Later,

Phil

Bruce Taylor
11-27-2002, 06:11 AM
Lots to be thankful for, Phil.

I guess you've seen the movie Planes, Trains & Automobiles?

ken mcclure
11-27-2002, 08:16 AM
Funny how day-to-day living gets in the way of important stuff.

Looks like you've got a good handle on the important stuff.

Good story. Thanks!

Tar Devil
11-27-2002, 08:56 AM
Bruce, I can't watch that movie. Makes my blood pressure skyrocket!!

Later,

Phil

G. Schollmeier
11-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Hi Phil,
You are right that life with the airlines is not all rosy. After 20 years I have seen many ups and downs. But I feel fortunate that I have had steady employment, which is more than many can say. On Monday, 1400 of my brothers and sisters in Atlanta will get an early Christmas bonus. A layoff notice, NWA is closing the maintenance facility there. Many will be allowed to stay with the company, but will have to move north in mid winter. By the time the bumping is done there could be as many as 500 people out the door. I look at it this way, I have a job, Iím lucky.
Gary

[ 11-27-2002, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: G. Schollmeier ]

D
11-27-2002, 02:07 PM
It's the little things in life.................I got to ask where those cheap tickets come from? I travel weekly and tickets to and from southeast destinations are routinely $350.00+ and tickets to the West coast are around $700.00. I'm glad you brought that up because it doesn't make sense to me that flights were cut back around 30-35% for major carriers but tickets cost about the same and all have laid off 15 to 30% of their work force. The numbers don't add up.

Tar Devil
11-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Gary, the days up to my departure will grevious days, indeed. We closed one of our major maintenance facilities, so Thanksgiving will be not so great for several hundred of our "family."

D., it depends entirely on how you book, whether you make connections, and where those connections are made. I don't understand the process because I work in a maintenace planning/fleet analysis capacity, but I have seen the yield on ticket revenue, and it stinks. Low cost/low fare carriers entering established major carrier markets are playing havoc with ticket prices in select high density city pairs and driving away profits.

That's all I understand.

Later,

Phil