PDA

View Full Version : Way OT - Puking cats

Stewart
09-23-2001, 10:58 AM
Puking cats - What do you do with them?

SWMBO loves them and they systematically puke on everything that is nice in the house. And not on the tile or something easy to clean up, no they puke on the new carpet SWMBO had to have.

Sorry, had to rant or kill the cat. Thought this would be better.

NormMessinger
09-23-2001, 11:12 AM
In the case of cats, tiz better to kill than to mop. On the other hand sex is a powerful force. Perhaps you could head down to the hardware store and buy a nice new power tool while SWLCs cleans up.

--Norm

Greg H
09-23-2001, 11:19 AM
On the floor and out the door.
Good high quality catnip will render them unconcious for most of the day.... http://www.contrabandent.com/pez1/contrib/dvv/dvvico.gif

Wild Dingo
09-23-2001, 11:21 AM
On tuther and....... cats make the bestest shark bait there is [ http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif]

Power tool idea could be good too... Them womens sure do hold some power over us fellas

Next option.. move to the shed and come in for those nights SWLC is feeling romantically inclined [ http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif]

Take it easy
Shane

Rob H
09-23-2001, 12:01 PM
We've had the same problem for years. Generations of puking cats and mouthing dogs, and, dammit, we've loved every one of them. Sometimes changing the cat's diet solves the problem. (Sometimes not.)
Another idea that has worked for us is to feed the cat very small portions.
But we also make it a point to buy our rugs at the local remainder outlet (ours is a joint called "Building 19"). We just clean up the mess or trim away the chewed corners as needed. When the rugs get too gross or chewed up, out they go, to be replaced by newer, but just as cheap, ones.
It sounds disgusting, I know, but I'm so used to trimmed rugs with residual stains and to sweeping up dog hair, that it's just part of life around here.
I gather it's an indoor cat you're complaining about, or you'd have mentioned animal parts and tape-worms! LOL!

thechemist
09-23-2001, 01:27 PM
Had cats...been there...done that....and I have some observations to share which may shed light into the dark corners of the world of the feline hairball.....

Cats shed hair. You may have noticed cat hair around where cats have lain.

Cats clean themselves and groom themselves by licking their fur. You may have noticed this.

Ever wonder what happens to the loose hair they lick off?

The hair is swallowed, and thereby hangs a tale.

Hair accumulates, entangled, in the stomach, is not readily wetted by the gastric juices, and does not pass into the intestine. Eventually the cat disposes of it orally, and you have, mixed with food in greater or lesser degree, feline upchuck.

Lubricating the hair whilst in the stomach facilitates its passage into the nether regions. There is a commercially available preparation of molasses and some sort of grease, maybe vaseline, which comes in a small collapsible metal tube. A small portion extruded onto a fingertip and then smeared on the roof of the cat's mouth will result in the cat licking the food-tasting stuff off its palate, and swallowing same, whereupon it lubricates said gastric contents and they proceed down the slippery slope.

I have heard it claimed by some that feeding one's cat in addition dental floss causes the ejectae to come out all strung together as neat beads, suitable for folk jewelry and decorative art, but have not tried this manufacturing method personally and so am unable to vouch for its efficacy.

Be that as it may, the foregoing is effective. Further minimization of hairballs may be obtained by brushing one's cat with a suitable brush. Not only does the cat enjoy it, rewarding you with orgiastic squirming whilst in your lap, usually digging its claws into your thighs in paroxysms of ecstasy, but much loose hair is removed, thus minimizing the accumulation of ingredients capable of combining into a future hairball.

'Tis said that a man has a dog because he wants to be a god, and a man has a cat because he wants a god. Don't complain about the critter; remember why you got it in the first place.

Ronald Rosen
09-23-2001, 01:34 PM
We have two cats and only one "pukes". We take the "pukey" one to the vet every 6 weeks for a cortisone shot. It costs but it works. Our vet suggested this. When we try to get the "grease" into our "pukey" cat it ends up every where but in the cat!!

David Tabor (sailordave)
09-23-2001, 01:38 PM
Oh, let me tell you about cats! HAD four, love em to death.Unfortunately we just had to put the oldest down (diabetes, kidney failure, etc, 11.5 yrs) Anyway, he and another are long hairs, the other two short haired. WD hairball formula mixed w/ MeowMix did a pretty good job of mitigating the hairball vomit! The other thing that works great is NO CARPET. That's right the whole house is Random width Oak, cepting the bathrooms and laundry! Makes cleanup a piece of cake.

Now about dogs.... SWMBO HAD to have a dog despite all my objections and rational reasoning. Got a Rotty last month. Damn thing piddles/poops inside at least every other day, scratched the wood trim, thinks it's time to play when I get up for my 3am constitutional, etc, etc, chews on stuff, terrorizes the cats,etc., can't go away all day on a whim, and generally irks me to no end. Only saving grace is my father in law is terminal and the dog makes SWMBO happy. (she IS kinda cute)

Stewart
09-23-2001, 01:52 PM
Now that I have calmed down and went and played on the tractor, let me recount the whole puking episode from this morning.

Pukey starts gagging while I am on the computer in the kitchen - on the hardwood floor. AAAK! I holler, cat runs from the room on to the carpet, spraying puke from its mouth the whole way across the room and also down into one of the floor vents.

Pukey then runs down the hall (tile - no puke here) and into the bedroom (carpeted) and begins puking again. I am in hot pursuit. Pukey ends up under the bed. Don't know if it was empty by then or not.

I believe the SWLC's will be on her hands and knees investigating that one when she gets home. If I finish my chores in time, I believe I will go get a six-pack and watch.

garland reese
09-23-2001, 02:06 PM
We have a cat and two dogs......all of them live mostly happily in the house (that is at least the animals are mostly happy). Our cat had the same problem. And he too never seemed to do it on the tile floor. We have mostly solved the problem by feeding him only that pricey "hairball formula" dry cat food. This is the first cat we've ever had that was an inside cat......all our others were kind of indoor outdoor types (mostly outdoor), when they had to go or wanted to go, we let them out, and God only knows what they did when they were out,...... well sometimes the neighbors let us know what they did ; "Precious" ate one of the bunnie's that have been playing in our yard of late"!,or, "Precious caught and killed a bird yesterday"!......"yep! That what cats do!", I'd say, "guess you didn't see that big ol' mouse he ate".....). I'm sure they puked a lot too, but thatye did not do it in the houde.
I don't know what the name of the hairball food is, but there are a few different brands out there. there is also a greasy concoction that comes in a tube that you can force feed them that is supposed to help.....check at your local Petsmart or equivalent or discuss with the local vet. I'm not fond of cats, unless they are in the barn, but this one is our daughter's and I am fond of her, so he stays here in the house (we are stuck in a very suburban home now).
Our latest addition, a yellow lab, which was a result of a weak moment for our youngest's daughter's last birthday.......a challenging pup (both the dog and the daughter!!!), but an awfull lot of fun......I'm tempted to start hunting again........tuth be told, I've always wanted a Lab too. My biggest frustration now is how to keep the dogs out of the cats litter box........seems dogs see cat poop as some sort of delicacy.......GROSS!!!
garland

Sailman58
09-23-2001, 02:27 PM
The answer is easy, don't chase the cat! Let it do it's little deed, then procede calmly to the spot with a damp paper towel and remove the deposit.
When the wife passed away, she left me with 2 daughters and 2 cats. As the cats have eventually passed on, they have been replaced with others. OTOH, when the kids moved out they were told that they could return to visit and were NOT replaced.

dasboat
09-24-2001, 12:11 AM
Had a favorite around here for many years.Called him Bucaroo Bonzi Jones.
Looked like felix.A Himalayin(spelled that way ,cause that's what he did all the time.)
Didn't have a clue he was neutered.He'd climb a 10 ft wall just to prove he was a MAN!
This feline example of Joe cool http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/cool.gifcould lay a hairball as big as his UUUHHH intentions.Nancy would tell me "your cat...Your chore!"
Dang things looked like slugs,the large kind.

Well,this mr.Studly had a habit of sleeping all day in the shade of the gimmy as it sat in the driveway
One day after the millionthed time I shooed him out from the rear tires(hear where I'm goin?)Nancy,in a hurry to get to the store to fetch me some martini makins,forgot to check under the tires for ole buckaroo.

The rest is history,Buckaroo's history.
Burried him in the back yard,along with Sadie,lucy,Dollie,and CT.
Sure do miss that cat!
Dont miss cleaning up his slugs though.
Think I'm gonna cry http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/frown.gif
Darryl

[This message has been edited by dasboat (edited 09-24-2001).]

cs
09-24-2001, 08:22 AM
I will second the hair ball forumula cat food. We have 2 cats that have just about destroyed the carpet. One day I got fed up with and we got some Purinia hair ball fourmula cat food. I mix it 50/50 with regular cat food and it has eliminated hairballs.

Chad

Matt J.
09-24-2001, 09:26 AM
On a completely irrelevent topic, I have an even more irrelevent response. I can't be too near cats, but they're quite cute sometimes, and always impressive.

I thought I'd post my bad experience this morning with our two new pups (Summer and Teddy, 11 mos. and 15 mos. respectively, both Great Dane mixes). I used to take Lady for her walk in the mornings and evenings before and after work. Usually pleasant, and I missed those walks when she was gone. Now, with two pups, I go for two walks, so they feel like they both get treated with some QT with me, and get a break from each other. Well, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and spent 45 minutes walking S&T. They were both horrible, unruly, disobedient, and no fun to walk... And it was hot and sticky out to boot, so I'm sweating up a storm in my work clothes (I know, it's my fault, not theirs).

So after Teddy's walk, I came in and threw down the leash on the chair (it's new purpose in life is to hold the variety of doggy walking apparatuses we've tried and sometimes use). I let out a bit of a littany about never walking these two again - they can just appreciate their new fenced in yard and that's that...

Well, Summer and Teddy are both sweet dogs, and they already live for Jenny - sometimes even me - so they got their feelings hurt. Summer would accept no apology after I cooled down. Teddy, too big and goofy to care so long as you pet him, sorta seemed alright.

After I left, Jenny went in the bedroom to find Summer laying on the doggy bed (it's really just a decoration), looking generally sad, and started to whimper when Jenny went into the room. She wouldn't even say goodbye to Jenny at the door. Now I feel bad - I must wait until 5:30 to apologize. I hope the dog walker lady can cheer her up.

Oh well, thanks for letting me steal the thread for a moment to get that off my chest. I feel like a bad dog person.

brad9798
09-24-2001, 09:44 AM
Have two cats (male) that are best friends.

We switched to Science Diet a few years back, and we BRUSH them every week ... or so.

No more consistent puking. The older one barfs about 2x/year. The younger one does it about 1x/month.

Not bad for silly cats.

Nothing has ever been ruined ... they have their favorite "spots" that are not on carpeting. Course, carpeting is hard to find in my house, anyway.

Brad

DougWilde
09-24-2001, 11:28 AM
It is so heartening to hear others own hurlmeisters. Bailey, the bulimic cat, lets fly once or twice a week. I am just amazed at the distance he achieves on occasion. I find a large serving spoon best for getting fresh leavings (not even warm, yet) out of the carpet. That half-dried state is the worse: do I remove it now or let it dry?
I'm a renter and ain't gonna see none of my deposit.

Doug Wilde

BrianCunningham
09-24-2001, 01:24 PM
Mom had six cats...

Use your imagination http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/eek.gif http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/eek.gif

Church of the Holey Wooden Boat
09-24-2001, 04:14 PM
Having had to yeild to the inevitable logic of adopting the ships cat after we paid off (SWMTHTCOIWBTO), I ordered a medium brown carpet for the house. I hope the cat and the carpet have the same lifespan....I have learned to put the cat outside after she eats, and she usually has a "topper" of fresh vole. Yuk.

[This message has been edited by hugh man (edited 09-24-2001).]

Ross Faneuf
09-24-2001, 09:46 PM
We have 2 16 year old cats who more or less rule our lives. While it may be true that it's REALLY hard to train cats, it turns out that it's ridiculously easy for cats to train people.

Brushing your cat frequently will cut down on them hoiking up hairballs; but won't eliminate it. Much of the other barfing can be cut down by experimenting with their diet. Our most consistent hurler (mr. projectile vomiting) turned out to barf a lot more on dry food than wet. You'll just have to experiment.

We were looking for new carpet once, and found a company which made a color called 'tea stain'. If they'd only made one called 'cat barf'...

capt jake
09-24-2001, 09:55 PM
Glad to see that cats are outplaying the other depressing topics!! My 2 cents worth? Have 'em stuffed! No more puke, smell, They stay when you say so, etc!! http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif BTW, I have 2 of them puking rascals.

Wayne Williams
09-24-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by thechemist:
I have heard it claimed by some that feeding one's cat in addition dental floss causes the ejectae to come out all strung together as neat beads, suitable for folk jewelry and decorative art, but have not tried this manufacturing method personally and so am unable to vouch for its efficacy.

Completely off topic but...I heard that Errol Flynn (apparently a practical joker) once fed a length of string to geese, a lot of them, until he had them strung like beads one after the other. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

capt jake
09-24-2001, 11:24 PM
Stuff 'em!! Just have them stuffed!! http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Ron Williamson
09-25-2001, 06:09 AM
We used to have a cat that would overeat then puke it back up.The disgusting part was that the opportunistic dog would cock an ear after she ate,waiting for a warm meal.YUUK!
Same cat used to eat Christmas tree tinsel in small amounts.This wasn't bad in itself but she inadvertantly hauled some nasty trailers out of the litterbox.
R

John Gearing
09-25-2001, 06:35 PM
Have one pussy-cat, an alpha female named Punkin, or Punk for short because she does not take guff from man nor beast. She was a notable hairball puker--on the order of once per week I'd find one the size of my thumb somewhere in the place. She loved to eat that greezy hairball remedy gunk, but with no effect on the hairballs. This summer I took my vet's advice. Yep, I am now a big fan of shaved pussies. Not right down to the bare skin, of course, but dang close to it. Some pussies can be shaved "as-is" but mine has to be sedated. The bad news was that she looked mighty strange all shaved like that--I had a bad dream one night that it was Punkin's head on an alien's body! The good news was that after being shaved, she only puked once or twice all summer. I've decided to run a little experiment this Fall and have let her hair grow again. We'll see if the puking increases. But so far, there seems to be some real benefit to shaving your pussy.

ken mcclure
09-25-2001, 07:33 PM
Damn. Where IS that 10-foot pole.

Bateau Boy
09-25-2001, 07:37 PM
So what you are saying is there is no advantage to Pussy Golore.

jack grebe
09-25-2001, 07:43 PM
great way of dealing with cats of this sort
lift tail
apply 1 quick but firm stroke with wire brush
quickly wash area(paint brush is prefered)with turpintine
release cat
in most cases, problem NEVER returns

capt jake
09-25-2001, 07:56 PM
Almost goes back to stuffin' 'em. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Stewart
09-25-2001, 10:36 PM
For the record, the cat is not puking up hair, just undigested food (or so SWLC's tells me). I close my eyes during cleanup time.

The dog chases or barks at Pukey to let us know what is going on. Sometimes this is a bad thing.

I am beginning to think that Pukey has a problem with his food even though he has been on it for 5+ years.

Pukey is going to see a professional on Friday.

SWLC's thinks this is all terribly funny and thanks to NormM. or Das for mentioning "puking cats" in another post. It made me feel like one of the gang. And that is what I think Misc. is all about.

John B
09-25-2001, 11:37 PM
In my opinion, your cat is bulemic.
It needs to improve its opinion of itself.
You must take it to a cat trickcyclist.

" so, now what do YOU think the problem is"
".... "
" yes, hmmmm, why do you say that"
"..."

ken mcclure
09-26-2001, 12:28 AM
I can identify with the bulemia. Now if only I could get the purging part down right...

True Love
09-26-2001, 09:00 PM
Stewart,

Since John Weigandt has had a long day at the office and probably gets these questions routinely, I'll have a go at your puking kitty. Remember though, I'm a large animal vet --

Get a dog. Or, better yet, a horse or cow!

TL

JDD
09-26-2001, 09:09 PM
Remember always, A good cat is a dead cat. History has proven this. Kill one a day will keep the carpet cleaners away.

Meerkat
06-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Fat content seems to have a bearing on cat's problems with hairballs. All our cats used to love petroleum jelly. In fact, one had to make sure that kitty restricted his/herself to licking your finger instead of trying to take a bite out of it! :D