PDA

View Full Version : "The Last Voyage"

cs
11-26-2002, 07:48 AM
I had posted a question a while back asking if anyone had heard of the this book called "The Last Voyage...The Story of Schooner Third Sea" by: Harold Stephens.

Here is a line in the introduction that caught my eye. '"There's a magnificent world out there for anyone who wants it," he would whisper to me and go on doing what he sets out to do."

I'm just getting into this book and in fact he is just finished outfitting it Bangkok and is headed out on his adventures.

This book is about a man who had a dream. He was greatly influenced by the writings of Jack London and wished to build his own boat and see the world. With the attitude that is hinted at in the above quote he sets out to accomplish his dream and he lives it for 18 years untill at last the "Third Sea" is wrecked on a reef on the Hawaiian Islands during a freak hurricane.

He built the "Third Sea" in Singapoore and outfitted her in Bangkok. She was 71 feet long and made from ferro-cement. Most of the labour was supplied by the author and volunteers.

So far this is a great book and I highly recomend it.

Chad

cs
11-27-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm going to bring this back up. The author makes references to others in his book and I would like opinions please.

First one of his main inspirations was a book by Jack London called "The Cruise of the Snark". Has anyone read this and is it worthwhile?

Second he goes about the South Seas and try to look up people mentioned by a fella named Michener in a book he wrote called "Return to Paradise". What about this book?

Chad

ishmael
11-27-2002, 10:18 AM
Chad,

I've read the London book, years ago. Some of the biographies of London are fascinating, "A Sailor on Horseback" comes to mind.

The Snark expedition was a disaster, almost from beginning to end. London was a great dreamer, and accomplished a tremendous amount in a short life, but he was not the luckiest fellow. Snark was way over budget, plagued by poor workmanship and strikes, fell off the ways half way through construction because of the 1906 SF earthquake, and the tale of woe goes on and on. If I remember, London puts a much glossier facade on the adventure, so in addition to his book, seek out some of the other biographical material.

Some speculate the voyage greatly shortened London's life. He contracted yaws, a tropical illness similar to syphllis, and spent much of his remaining years trying all kinds of cures, including mercury and arsenic compounds. Like syphllis, yaws eventually affects the mind, and London, always a self-styled lone wolf, began doing things toward the end like eating raw poultry. Most biographers believe he took his own life with morphine.

London's life is easily as interesting as any of his books.

Bayboat
12-01-2002, 01:05 PM
Yes, the Cruise of the Snark is worth reading, as is Irving Stone's biography, A Sailor on Horseback.

ishmael
12-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Years back I read a bunch of London's biographers, and the only one whose name I remember is Stone. The more recent material is less adoring, more balanced, and not as influenced by London's own stories about his life. He had a way of embelishing, as good story tellers do.

Largely self-educated, London lived about five ordinary lives, all in only forty some years. Fascinating fellow.

cs
12-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Donn I picked up Michener's "Tales of the South Pacific" last night and read the first chapter today at lunch and I believe that you are write. So far it is a great read.

Chad

Wild Dingo
12-04-2002, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the link Donn... now I have something to read for those slower times on the board ;)

Thanks people Im always on the hunt for good reading books other than text of course which are also good but sometime one just needs to relax and let the dreams unfold... every now and then one needs a bit of a jolt from reading about someone who has done it...

As for story tellers emellishing things :eek: come on Jack!!! tis well known that we tells it like it is no fluff no frills just facts!!... True we do :cool:

Now does that sound like I would have the makins of a good journo or lawyer eh??? ha!! :D

Thanks Chadd great thread! :cool:

Take it easy
Shane