PDA

View Full Version : Hey Joe, were ya going...

Joe (SoCal)
06-30-2005, 06:35 AM
Iím goiní way down south
Way down to mexico way
Alright
Iím goiní way down south
Way down where I can be free
Ainít no one gonna find me
Ainít no hang-man gonna
He ainít gonna put a rope around me
You better believe it right now
I gotta go now

SWMBO (no I did not shoot her :D ) Tess and I are booking a vacation down to Mexico, any information besides don't drink the water would be helpful ;)

I think we are going to go to some all inclusive place, since we have a seven year old and it just makes life easy. We have not been on a real vacation in a long time and we just need a beach and a place to veg out and recharge, have some fun. Mexico looked good enough. hey maybe I'll bump into Fred ;)

[ 06-30-2005, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Chris Coose
06-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
[QBI think we are going to go to some all inclusive place, [/QB]Does that translate to the only time you'll see natives is when they come to clean the bathroom?

I lived there for a couple years and traveled countryside more than I have the US but I know nothing of Cancun or Acapulco.

huisjen
06-30-2005, 06:44 AM
All right now, here we go ...
Now we're gonna tell you a little story
About the way we like to party - take ya on a trip!
HIT IT!
That's right
I'm goin' way down south where the big blue agave grow,
Takin' a weekend trip down to Baja, Mexico!
Where you can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice,
Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ...
I say,
One shot...Hey! Mas Tequila-
Two shots...Hey! que veneno-
Three shots...Arriba! Mas Tequila!
Hey! Hey!
She did a mean macarena to the funky cold medina
Behind a body shot and three margaritas.
She'll drink it straight from the bottle, terra cotta jug,
From a boda bag coppin' a major buzz.
I say,
Hey! Hey!
Uno mas, bartender...one more...mas tequila!
Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey!
Yo can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice;
Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice!
I say,
Hey! Hey!
One shot...Hey! more tequila!
Two shots...Hey! que veneno!
Three shots...Ay yi yi yi yi ...
Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!
Mas Tequila!
No mas, no mas ....

Joe (SoCal)
06-30-2005, 06:46 AM
It might, Chris it might smile.gif

I have done the backpack native immersion thing and I love it. But we just want a Vannila Vacation. Years of financial struggle and now we can finally just go AHHHHH ya know what I mean? That doesn't mean the rambler gringo in me wont get out and go native once or twice ;)

cs
Most excellent song. Saw him in concert several years ago and had to buy the album. Red Vodoo, great album.

Chad

Sue H.
We flew into Cancun because the airfares are so cheap there and then rented a VW and drove through the rainforest to Merida. Every day, we went to the pyramids and ruins and explored. We backpacked and stayed at little motels with no air conditioning. That's probably too rustic to attempt with a child, though. My sister likes to get away from the tourist places because she says you may as well stay home if you're going to do that.

I must admit, though, Cancun looked like fun, and I wouldn't have minded staying there. We stuck out like sore thumbs in Merida and were constantly bombarded with kids and adults trying to sell us stuff "Two pesos, senora, only two pesos!" Drove me nuts, but my sister is unfazed by it and just loves the interior regions.

Seeing how the Indians live in the rainforest is interesting. My sister has friends down that way and they treated us beautifully.

Be prepared to have shooters thrust at you every time you enter a restaurant. It's rot-gut tequila, and the only time I had Montezuma's revenge the whole week there was when I finally drank one of those just to get the waiter to back off.

Mrleft8
06-30-2005, 06:58 AM
I assume you plan to take this trip when it's cold up here... No sense in going to a warm place when yer in a warm place...
All inclusive...PPPPPPFFFFFTTTTTT! Giving your money to a company that takes more out of a community than it brings in. :mad: I'm shocked, and appalled that you would even consider that an option. If you want to be surrounded by vapid cheeseburger eating Miller Lite swilling fluff balls, why not just go to Florida (Actually, there are probably more Mexicans in Florida...)?
Find yerself a nice Hacienda, owned and operated by a local.

Chris Coose
06-30-2005, 07:01 AM
I'll be breaking a hardened rule this summer.
I'll be attending a wedding in NH - for the day.

Joe (SoCal)
06-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Eeeeek Mrleft8 now ya make me feel guilty ewwwww thats not how I want to spend a vacation feeling guilty :( OK OK I will re concider. But seriously I DO NOT WANT the let down my hair ( yea rite smile.gif ) go native vacation. I do not want the experience of some local hacienda hotel where we go native with Tess. Sorry I just want a fun vanilla vacation. I have done the whole living on the edge get to immerse yourself backpack thang. I want a beach, something for Tess to do and a cold one in my hand. I want a big ol flabby ass white gringo American vacation eat some tacos and get sunburn and decompress. Sorry to disappoint you all. :(

REPETE I HAVE DONE THE INTO THE WILDERNESS I know what its all about and how rewarding it can be. I just don't want to do it this time. I have no desire to climb some pyramids in the blazing heat or tromp through a rain forest. I just want to lay my fat american ass in a comfy bed at night and a sandy beach in the morning. Not have to worry about a damn thing and be taken care of. Is that so wrong for a vacation. My FUN GUN HO vacation is the one I take aboard UNCAS sailing up to Newport and back. Now that will be a backpack adventure. I hope to meet lots of locals smile.gif

Matt J.
06-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Doug's right - unless you like the herd mentality - moooooooo. How about a bareboat charter?

Chris, what rule is that?

Mrleft8
06-30-2005, 07:19 AM
You don't need to climb El Castillo and run through the jungle to stay at a locally owned place Joe. There are plenty of fat white american ass kinda places that cater to the cheeseburger crowd that aren't owned by multi-nationals.

huisjen
06-30-2005, 07:23 AM
So? Find some beach on the shore of the Yucatan and sit around in the sun. You don't have to backpack through the jungle in order to avoid the dopes at Puerta Vallarta. (That's where my vinyl siding salesman step father goes.)

Dan

LeeG
06-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Joe,don't let them get you down, white bread multinational trips are ok when you're over 40 and with family. But I'd disagree with Sue,,if the grownups are having fun then so will a 7yr old.
see if Apple Vacations has some deals in the Maya Riviera area.

George.
06-30-2005, 07:43 AM
I think we are going to go to some all inclusive place...[/QB]Hope you like Texans... ;)

huisjen
06-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by George.:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I think we are going to go to some all inclusive place...Hope you like Texans... ;) [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Ouch!

Chris Coose
06-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Matt J.:

Chris, what rule is that?*Internet connection failure as I was writing the rule

The rule is : No leaving heaven from June to November.

[ 06-30-2005, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Chris Coose ]

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
06-30-2005, 08:11 AM
I wasn't impressed with Mexico last time I was there.
I have no desire to go back.
A vacation to Canada or Alaska would be better, for me anyway.
Actually I would love to go to Maine or Washington State. :cool:
I really have no desire to leave the good ole USA. :D

Garrett Lowell
06-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Joe, I highly recommend Isla Mujeres. Great beaches, snorkeling, diving (check out the Sleeping Shark Caves), fishing, sailing, and tequila. There are some Mayan ruins as well. The best thing about the island, though, are the hammocks. I took a nap in one every day. It's not overrun by tourists, at least it wasn't back in 1999. Cancun is only a short boat ride away.

Mrleft8
06-30-2005, 08:37 AM
I was on Isla Mujeres back in 68... We called it "The island of dead horses". The first big high rise hotel was just beggining consruction then. The glass bottom boat ride, and the swimming with a giant sea turtle in a pen was great fun...for a 7 year old. Now I feel sorry for the poor turtle. It was a pretty island though, even with dead horses littering the beaches... The pictures I've seen of it recently make me ill. It's turned into a crass glass and concrete hell hole of tourist driven greed. But then again, that's what makes rich people richer....

Garrett Lowell
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
When I was there in '99, my wife and I stayed in a little hut with no a/c or windows (there were some shutters you could pull down in case of rain). It had the biggest ceiling fan I've ever seen. Fresh fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

High C
06-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Garrett Lowell:
...I highly recommend Isla Mujeres...There's a sailboat race to Isla Mujeres every year that a bunch of folks from around here participate in. Most of the "race" is very uncompetitive, more of a helpful caravan to be sure everyone makes it.

Those I've talked to love it there, and they sometimes encourage me to go race one of these years in the High C. Sounds like a bit much for a "backbay and harbor" boy. :D

If only I could carry more fresh water... ;)

[ 06-30-2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: High C ]

Noah
06-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I've never been to Mexico, but 2 years ago we went to Costa Rica, and it was amazing. Very easy to travel, we had a tremendous B&B on the beach in Playa Samara, you can drink the water, you can eat all the food, and it isn't cheesy/commercial.

You can also go on amazing hikes in the rain forest, which will blow your mind. The sloths are hard to see thoughÖ

It was a cheap vacation that was lots of fun, and I would do it again, if there werenít more cool places to go see.

Mrleft8
07-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Garrett Lowell:
When I was there in '99, my wife and I stayed in a little hut with no a/c or windows (there were some shutters you could pull down in case of rain). It had the biggest ceiling fan I've ever seen. Fresh fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner.May very well be the same place we stayed at... Were there broken bottles mortared into the top of the stone wall?

Meerkat
07-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Vanilla vacation? Well, aren't the Pokonos right next door? :D

Joe (SoCal)
07-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Yea but I like taco's better than kreplack ;)

[ 07-01-2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Hughman
07-01-2005, 03:21 PM
I climbed Popocatepetl, before it blew up. Try that- you'll remember it!

Patsy
07-01-2005, 03:32 PM
http://www.wdnsfm.com/rlimb.jpg

StevenBauer
07-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Head North, not South! Come to the Mahone Bay Wooden Boat Festival! We're going! Here's the site! (http://www.woodenboatfestival.org/)

http://www.woodenboatfestival.org/images/homepage1.jpg

"This year's Festival is packed with activities for the whole family. From races on the water, to hands-on workshops to boatyard tours there's lots to keep you busy. And on the lighter side, be sure to check out the X-Stream Cardboard Boat Race, Fast and Furious, fireworks, parade and more."

Why go to some boring, hot beach?

Steven :D

bamamick
07-03-2005, 04:19 AM
My wife and I spent a week on Cozumel in 1995. She absolutely loved it, wanted to buy a place there. I thought that it was miserably hot, and as has been mentioned, it's miserably hot where I live about six months a year. Why would I want to vacation in a place like that?

Well, I don't want to, but the wife likes it hot.
We stayed near the northwest tip of the island in a hotel where we were the only Americans. Everyone else was Mexican, and they were on their vacations just as we were. Actually a really neat hotel, except once again, it was so darn hot that you could not fall asleep until about 1 or 2 am.

Had one of the very best meals I've ever eaten on Cozumel. La Casa de Pescador was the name, I believe. You picked your lobster (that's all they had) and they provided everything a great meal needs. I think the bill was $40 for the two of us. Outstanding service, as well.

The east side of Cozumel is basically uninhabited. We got up early a couple of times and watched the sunrise. A beautiful site.

I would recommend Cozumel as a vacation, especially if you want to dive. Easy access to the mainland (Playa del Carmen) via the ferry, which will get you to Tulum and Xelha. People are pretty nice. San Miguel is a nice town. As is usual with any cruise ship town, it can be a bit of a hassle when the ships are in, but the state park is really nice (beware falling iguanas).

Go have fun, Joe. I probably won't be going back down there, though. Just too bloody hot.

Mickey Lake

PatCassidy
07-03-2005, 05:42 AM
I've done a lot of diving! Even have my instructor's certification. Cozumel is tremendous - especially for the price, Never been to the Bay Islands which rival Cozumel. Far better than anywhere in the Eastern Caribbean.

Concordia..41
07-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Isla was where I went in May ;)

Where we stayed fit the bill for trendy, yuppy and air conditioned. Villa Vera Puerto Isla Mujeres (http://www.mexico.com.mx/villa_vera_puerto_isla_mujeres_2.html)

It was a pretty swank joint and breakfast poolside was quite a nice way to start the day.

Garrafon may have more kid-friendly activities, but it's just a short golf cart ride from Villa Vera - actually anything on the island is a short golf cart ride.

And here's a link to the main info on the island

Isla Mujeres (http://www.isla-mujeres.net)

The other alternative would be to do a package in Cancun and make a daytrip or two out of Isla.

[ 07-03-2005, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

Joe (SoCal)
08-09-2005, 02:39 PM
4:00 AM Tomorrow morning limo to JFK my noontime I will be at the Iberostar Tucan Hotel in Playa del Carmen on the beach with drink in hand. :D

http://image38.webshots.com/39/8/66/61/313386661uJHFcm_ph.jpg

http://image48.webshots.com/48/8/78/32/313387832UBasGK_ph.jpg

I just had my phone configed to work with the Mexico GSM so I will be able to keep in touch with you guys but I doubt I will. :D :D

Have a great vacation all from Joe (Cold Spring on Hudson )
The rest of you I will see up at the WoodenBoat Show in Newport. :D

TomF
08-09-2005, 02:43 PM
The inhumanity of it, Joe ... we'll go into withdrawal! :D

canoes
08-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Have a great time,, but please be careful taking photos,, no public tranportation and such. :D

PatCox
08-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Who's that fat drug addict in the picture up there? Whats he got to do with vacations? Does he know a place where you can get oxycontin cheap?

Joe (SoCal)
08-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by canoes:
Have a great time,, but please be careful taking photos,, no public tranportation and such. :D :D :D :D :D Good One :D

George.
08-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Have fun, Joe. Don't miss Tulum. And if you get a chance, go drift-diving in Cozumel - closest a man can get to flying with no risk of falling...

Chris Coose
08-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Chris Coose:
I'll be breaking a hardened rule this summer.
I'll be attending a wedding in NH - for the day.Breaking the rule again.
Depart Portland 4 AM Thursday with 3 close fishing buddies.
Logan - Ft.Lauderdale - Big Pine Key Campground.
Back Monday night.

Fish the gulf stream early AM. Siesta in the hot time. Fish the bay late afternoon and evening. Snorkel as we can.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-09-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm going to the BIG Lyman Boat Owners "All Wooden Boat Show" in a few weeks. Always the high point of my Summer. :cool:

Have fun and be careful. ;)

Mrleft8
08-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Have a great trip Joe! Don't drink the water! (And don't forget that ice is water! tongue.gif )