PDA

View Full Version : Well, It's Official

km gresham
12-14-2004, 12:30 PM
I definately will keep the short sleeve shirts handy. The weather people are predicting a colder, wetter Winter than usual in SC. With their track record I expect we'll be in shorts in January and February! :rolleyes:

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Forecasters say the cold weather in South Carolina this week is probably just a preview of a winter that will be colder and wetter than usual.

Officials blame water temperatures in the Pacific Ocean. Meteorologists call the phenomenon El Nino, a warming of the waters that can lead to parts of South Carolina seeing up to 20 percent
more precipitation this winter than usual.

The predictions of a colder and wetter winter don't often change the plans of businesses dependent on the weather.

Duke Power spokesman Tom Pettit says the utility relies more on historical trends, than long-term forecasts. Pettit says it's too hard to plan far in advance. He says the utility's meteorologists and others kick into high gear once a storm starts forming.

km gresham
12-14-2004, 12:40 PM
I'll just keep the warm weather clothes handy. smile.gif One fact about SC, you can never put away all the shorts and t-shirts. It's not unusual that we have snow or ice a few days after it's been in the 70s.

LeeG
12-14-2004, 12:42 PM
doesn't the accuracy of a prediction begin to fall off precipitously after three days? Once you get out to a week a prediction like "it gets stormy this time of year" is good enough.

uncas
12-14-2004, 02:27 PM
The only weather 90% of the forecasters can predict is yesterday's. Heck, it was not supposed to rain on Sat...based on Friday's forecast. Not only did it rain but we had hail....Not even in the forecast..
So, if you believe in a three month prediction, my hat is off to you...I'm going out to buy some more wood!