PDA

View Full Version : Time for my annual...

Mrleft8
12-13-2004, 07:57 AM
Bah-freakin'-HUMBUG! thread.
As Lucy VanPelt was wont to say; "'Tis the season to be greedy".
All these damned ads tell us how wonderful the holiday season is for buying expensive stuff (usually on credit), and watching the expressions of wonder, joy, and amazement on the faces of those we cherish. The more you spend, the more they'll love you! Buy a Honda for Christmas! NO! Buy a diamond ring to say "I love you". WAIT! Wouldn't a new Lincoln exterminator REALLY look good under the tree this year?!
BAH! :mad:

J. Dillon
12-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Hey Doug , with your wood working talent you should buy nothing but material Make gifts for your loved ones. ;) :D

JD

Popeye
12-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Yup, consummerism is rampant, and bloviating my visa. Doncha just love the way we train our kids to perpetuate the myth.

Bruce Hooke
12-13-2004, 09:07 AM
The gifts that mean the most to me are usually not the most expensive ones, but rather the ones that say "I have been paying attention to who you are and I thought that you would like this."

Gift giving in that mode can be relatively inexpensive in monetary terms and can be great for making people feel connected.

Mrleft8
12-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by J. Dillon:
Hey Doug , with your wood working talent you should buy nothing but material Make gifts for your loved ones. ;) :D

JDSee..... That's one of the problems Jack. Back when I didn't have 2 cents to rub together (not that I have more than 4 or 5 to rub together now....), I always made the Christmas gifts. I felt like a cheap skate. I felt like I was short changing my familly and friends. Why? Because this holiday has become so damned COMMERCIAL! The idea of "giving" has been far surpassed by the idea of SPENDING. Unless you live in a vacuum you can't avoid it. How many ads have you seen with the message:"Spend a little bit and really consider what you're giving"?
(Sing to the tune of "'tis the season to be jolly") "'Tis the season to shop at Wal*mart, fa la la la la....." Or..... "Now's the time to buy a Honda, Fa la la la la la ooh la la....." :mad:

John B
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm with ya Lefty. Bah humbug.
Although I'm sure that my darling wife will be overcome with happiness at the surprise gift I have for her. Yes ,100 metres of 16mm,3 strand nylon anchor warp. Oh she will be so pleased I know. Women love nylon I'm told.

I can't wait till she sees what she's got.

actually. time to fess up.. I hinted to her already what it is.
I know what you're thinking... .Yes for sure he's a romantic devil. What a guy.

and strangely enough... thats exactly what she said.

[ 12-13-2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

alteran
12-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Don't buy into the program Mrleft8.
You seem to have an independent outspoken way about you, do what you think is right and if a homemade thoughtful gift dissapoints the recipient they have their priorites skewed not you.

For the last many years I've been giving gifts of framed photos I've taken over the year. A photo of a loved one, family, someones favorite place, a special time they enjoyed.

I notice the photos continue to be displayed, some very expensive gifts they have received from others don't get seen or used much.

For an older couple who are "thrifty" I got a nights stay at a B&B. Something they could easily afford but would not buy for themselves because they wouldn't spend $100.00.

They loved it..........

[ 12-13-2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: alteran ]

km gresham
12-13-2004, 02:34 PM
That's the whole point, Al. It ain't the dollars, it's the thought. Some of my most treasured gifts didn't cost much at all. I like the more expensive things, but the things that have special meaning to me have nothing to do with money. Gifts my children bought me from the school's secret santa shop, dollar store gifts, the boys handprints framed by their aunt, reindeer made in the wood shop at school. Priceless. smile.gif

Jack Heinlen
12-13-2004, 02:40 PM
The US has taken this huge breath, starting in about 1945. It's sucked up much of the world. One can't hold their breath, all that wonderful air, forever.

I just ignore it. Send a few cards, buy something special, well thought out, for a few, and ignore the rest of it. It's easy, turn off your TV.

Ron Williamson
12-14-2004, 05:46 AM
We(the family woodworkers)used to build things in volume, for Christmas but it wasn't any fun and the recipients didn't appreciate it.
"Oh,another cherry cabinet :rolleyes: thank you"
Now I only build stuff for SWMBO and the kids.
R

uncas
12-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Heck, I can't even think that far ahead til Christmas....Six birthdays in December.That's a load and a half on the pocketbook even before dealing with the 25th....Ordered smoked Turkeys for most of them....Love shopping in VT from MD...Luckily one is mine and I have bought myself a present...New winter cover for the boat. The others don't get boat covers...
Then again, AARP sent me a renewal notice. :D
jamj

[ 12-14-2004, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Scott Rosen
12-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Doug,

I can't help thinking that if some of those greedy, superficial materialists wanted to show their love for their friends by commissioning you to build a dozen pieces of custom made expensive furniture, you'd be singing a different tune. Joy to the World, perhaps. ;)

John Bell
12-14-2004, 09:30 AM
The bride and I only spend about $30 on each other. The kids get a bit more, but I doubt we spend more than $200 on gifts at Christmas. We DO a lot of other things, though. This weekend for example, is quite full: my daughter and I are singing in a Christmass cantata, we're going caroling and to a cookies and coffee social at church.

Also, focusing more on the 'God-among-us' aspect of the holiday instead of the 'us-buying-lots-of-stuff' celebration that's it's become has made it much less humbug-gy for me.

Mrleft8
12-15-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Scott Rosen:
Doug,

I can't help thinking that if some of those greedy, superficial materialists wanted to show their love for their friends by commissioning you to build a dozen pieces of custom made expensive furniture, you'd be singing a different tune. Joy to the World, perhaps. ;) You could correct about that. One day perhaps I'll find out. ;)

ken mcclure
12-16-2004, 08:02 AM
SWMBO loves jewelry.

A couple years ago, I started noodling around in the exotic wood scrap bin and got an idea.

I took a little 1/8" thick square piece of figured maple and gave it a nice coat of epoxy; some dowel I carved into carrots (appropriately painted orange with green tops) and attached them parallel with each edge and attached the whole thing to a plain ring, with the square turned 45 degrees.

I then made a small box with a fitted lid from the same maple, and inserted one of those black velvet ring-holder thingies. (That is the technical term, by the way.)

On the computer I created a little certificate that starts,

"This is to certify your genuine four-carrot diamond ring....."

I will continue to be in trouble for years go come.