PDA

View Full Version : cell phone exclusivity

Chris Coose
10-12-2004, 02:30 PM
How many people do you know have let go their land line?

Jim H
10-12-2004, 03:01 PM
One.

Edited to add: In 20 years I've had perhaps 2 problems with my land line, I can't say the same about my cell phone. There are times when the cell is indespensible but I managed to go without one for all but the last 5 years or so.

[ 10-12-2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Jim H ]

Iceboy
10-12-2004, 03:19 PM
I did 2 tears ago. No regrets.

High C
10-12-2004, 03:24 PM
I cut mine a couple months ago, but not for a cell. I use VOIP Internet telephone now, from Lingo.com.

This technology is not fully mature yet, lots of little problems, but we've almost got them all ironed out, and it costs less than a third of the conventional service I had before.

Cell phones for backup, too. I wouldn't want VOIP as my only phone since it is electric power dependent. Cell phones are now more likely to work in bad weather than conventional anyway. The cell towers are self powered with solar cells.

ken mcclure
10-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Land lines were costing us more than $160 per month. We cut all but one, and it has basic service plus voice mail. My cell is covered by my employer and SWMBO uses a "pay as you go" cell phone.

I got tired of being charged $.60 for a toll call, plus another $12.60 for service fees on that toll call.

brad9798
10-12-2004, 04:33 PM
This is month 12 with no land lines at home ...

Folks will hold onto land lines just likes folks kept renting from Ma Bell ... just a waste of $$$ if you ask me.

Even my fax is on line ... no need for a land line for that either ...

I LOVE IT! Not one telemarketing call since!

Only folks that know me, call me.

Still have a DSL line ... I guess that is technically a land line??

brad9798
10-12-2004, 04:40 PM
This is month 12 with no land lines at home ...

Folks will hold onto land lines just likes folks kept renting from Ma Bell ... just a waste of $$$ if you ask me.

Even my fax is on line ... no need for a land line for that either ...

I LOVE IT! Not one telemarketing call since!

Only folks that know me, call me.

Still have a DSL line ... I guess that is technically a land line??

John C. Gresham
10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Yes, yes it is.

You have a land line, but no PHONES.

:D

Victor
10-12-2004, 05:51 PM
I went for 2 years without a land line. I have one now but never use it.

cs
10-13-2004, 06:49 AM
I'm still tied to land lines and even now have the DSL which ties me even more, being as the billing is based on the phone package I have with Bellsouth.

Don't know if I will ever do away totally with landlines. It never fails that when we need a phone real bad, both cells are dead.

It may be time to re-think though, what with having the land line and 3 cell phones. We are just way to connected.

Chad

brad9798
10-13-2004, 09:52 AM
... and you're probably wasting $100 bucks a month too, Chad.

... just like the folks slow to buy phones rather than lease from Bell.

cs
10-13-2004, 10:11 AM
And you are right. I've been struggling with that myself.

Chad

Chris Stewart
10-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Are cell phones secure enough now to give your credit card number over one, or your social security number? I don't know whether the calls are routinely scrambled, but if not I wouldn't use one for anything sensitive (same with cordless phones on land lines).

Pernicious Atavist
10-13-2004, 10:54 AM
i discoonected my landline about a month prior to hurricane charlie. cell phone traffic was overwhelming and towers were damaged, thus--no phone calls! recopnnected the landline before hurricane francis. tried calling via cell and resorted to landline. when landline went down, went back to cell. so, i think landline works better in bad wx, but cell is a good backup. or vice-versa