PDA

View Full Version : Anti Foul

castletine
08-01-2001, 10:53 AM
Hi there

I have a 1931 pitch pine on oak motor sailor in dire need of anti foul - she's currently based in France on the Canals but will be moved to the UK inland waterways early next year. Can anyone tell me what sort of anti foul product I should look for.

Thanks

Jonathan

Mike Field
08-01-2001, 11:48 AM
Hello there, Jonathan. Nice to see you here. Did you get my email of a couple of weeks back, or has the mast question been answered anyway?

I hear that teredo is moving into UK waters, so it'll be rife all the way. Assuming you're sailing MK home (not putting her on a boat,) then I think you should be giving her the full treatment antifoulingwise. Do it while she's still in freshwater too, if you can.

paladin
08-01-2001, 01:18 PM
and....no matter what kind of anti-fouling paint that you decide to use, add a 4 ounce can of finely ground cayenne red pepper to each gallon of bottom paint......just think..whatever the stuff would do to your stomach, it will do to other critters as well. Works for me http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif

Scott Rosen
08-01-2001, 01:57 PM
Red pepper is fine for keeping the critters off, but the poor guy who has to sand it off won't much appreciate it when it gets in his nose, mouth and eyes.

Jamie Hascall
08-01-2001, 03:04 PM
Maybe it will act as a good indicator to remind him that he ought to be keeping all those heavy metals out of his nose, mouth, and eyes. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Jamie

Nicholas Carey
08-01-2001, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by castletine:
I have a 1931 pitch pine on oak motor sailor in dire need of anti foul ... will be moved to the UK inland waterways early next year. Can anyone tell me what sort of anti foul product I should look for.

Always a good idea to ask around where she'll be moored and used and see what the preferred anti-fouling is locally -- it probably works better than most products against the local slime/gribbles/pondscum/etc.

John B
08-02-2001, 08:40 PM
Unless you are planning on stripping the hull right back.( can't imagine it if you a going over to pick the boat up, paint it, bring it back) the most important thing you need to know is what's on it now. A hard fouling won't go over the top of an ablative, for example. Also, How you are going to do the job is important because many antifouling paints cannot be put on between tides.
I'd be looking for compatibility first, then decide the method/time frame you have to do it, then choose based on those criteria and the best product used locally. You might find that you don't have much choice.IE decision made!!