PDA

View Full Version : National Museum of the American Indian

Bruce Hooke
09-20-2004, 02:54 PM
I just thought it was worth noting that tomorrow the National Museum of the American Indian (http://www.nmai.si.edu/) will be opening on the Mall in Washington, D.C.

In one touch that had particular resonance for me, there is apparently a group of Penobscot Indians canoeing up the Potomac in a birchbark canoe to join the First Americans Festival that is taking place on the Mall to celebrate the museum's opening.

Given the varied uses of the term "American" it should also be noted that this museum is dedicated to the first peoples of the entire hemisphere, not just the United States.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-20-2004, 08:28 PM
:cool: :cool:

Kev Smyth
09-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Yup, read about it in the current issue of "Smithsonian."

I wondered how the whole of American Indians felt, since the building's design clearly reflects a Southwest feel- the desert tones and canyon wall look. It does little to reflect the environs of our NW tribes, those of Florida, etc.

Just an observation, and not meant to detract from the appropriate excitement surrounding its opening. smile.gif

paladin
09-21-2004, 03:38 AM
does this mean we gets our land back and now we can hang the relatives of the likes of Chivington, Custer and so on...? or better...bury them up to their necks and pour wild honey on their heads.....take their filthy scalps like Chivington.....I want justice...I want my land....
Three cheers for Chief Billy Bowlegs....

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Steady on, chaps - at this rate you'll have us giving England back to the Welsh and the Cornish...

Meerkat
09-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Kev Smyth:

I wondered how the whole of American Indians felt, since the building's design clearly reflects a Southwest feel- the desert tones and canyon wall look. It does little to reflect the environs of our NW tribes, those of Florida, etc.
There are wetlands on the east side of the building and there are native crops planted along other sides. I think herds of horses, buffalo, antelope and a tank full of salmon might be just a bit overboard, don't you? ;)

Kev Smyth
09-22-2004, 12:17 AM
:eek: Hush yo self!! Salmon are sacred!! :eek: