PDA

View Full Version : The long sit begins....

NormMessinger
04-14-2004, 08:54 AM
http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/webftp/webcam/kestrel.jpg

She's been on the next most of yesterday and so far today, sitting on four eggs. So around May 12 or so we should see chicks.

Dutch.Rub
04-14-2004, 09:16 AM
....uh....peeps?.... http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/images/about/peeps_all_seasons/peep5.jpg

Jack Heinlen
04-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks Norm, that's an nice live link. Look at her markings! Beautiful.

NormMessinger
04-14-2004, 09:57 AM
What are baby Kestrels? Keisters.

whb
04-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Norm

From Ask Jeeves

What is the correct name for a baby hawk?
I am usually comfortable with 'chick' for all young birds. However, terms that have been used include eyas/eyass, although some dictionaries say this is only for falcons, some say only for hawks and not falcons, and some say only by falconers.

Around here we sometimes call Kestrels Merlins although I don't know if that is correct. If it is then an appropriate name for the baby would be Arthur.

Howard

Howard

NormMessinger
04-14-2004, 02:48 PM
What? Ask Jeeves? Next thing you'll be going to a dictionary or encyclopedia. Have you no imagination, man?

The Kestrel, smallest of the falcons, used to be called a sparrow hawk in the US but somebody in the American Ornithological Union (AOU) decided to follow the rules. The species has been called Kestrel in Europe since it was described so...

Same with the Pigeon Hawk. It is now called a Merlin. It is not the same species as a Kestrel. It is a bit bigger for one thing.

Fortunately the Prairie Falcon does not occur in Europe so we get to keep its common name.

All falcons are hawks but not all hawks are falcons. A friend's friend who lives in Western Nebraska is a falconer. I'm told he has had a Red-Tailed Hawk among others. He hunts with a dog and a falcon or hawk. Dog points, the falcon is released and when at a suitable altitude the bird is flushed only to disappear in a cloud of feathers when the falcon strikes.
I didn't ask what he hunted with the Red-tailed Hawk, rabbits perhaps.

km gresham
04-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Life goes on despite all, doesn't it? smile.gif