PDA

View Full Version : Kerry's Concession

km gresham
11-03-2004, 02:27 PM
A gracious speech. Thanking all who worked for his election and all who voted - whoever their candidate. Nice to hear. smile.gif

Bob Smalser
11-03-2004, 02:45 PM
You kidding me?

Edward's was anything but....

...and the Kerry Camp wrote that hateful, racist diatribe for him because Kerry doesn't have the moral courage to carry his own water.

Keith Wilson
11-03-2004, 03:02 PM
"Hateful racist diatribe"???? Did we listen to the same speech? I heard some fairly conventional concession stuff (with only a little eloquence or originality) about how they're gong to continue working for what they believe in. Bob, lately you've been getting pretty steamed up about the dreadful vices of Kerry and Edwards. Calm down; they're just politicians, not devils.

John C. Gresham
11-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Since when is there a difference between politicians and devils?

Garrett Lowell
11-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Keith, in my opinion, Edwards' speech was nothing but more divisiveness and vitriol. As long as the DNC has this type of mindset, they will continue to fade.
Kerry's speech was nicely done. I hope Bush is as gracious. I hope he holds out the same "common ground" hand. But I think there is no future for Edwards and his mindset.

Keith Wilson
11-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Since when is there a difference between politicians and devils?If you can't tell the difference between moderately bad and really really bad, you're in for trouble. See Andrew's "neofascist" comment (which he later retracted) for an analogous example on the left.

[ 11-03-2004, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Keith Wilson ]

George.
11-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by John C. Gresham:
Since when is there a difference between politicians and devils?The difference is: politicians exist, and cause actual harm.

Bob Smalser
11-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Keith Wilson:
"Hateful racist diatribe"???? Did we listen to the same speech? The conventional, constructive and gentlemanly role of the loser is a gracious attempt to pull the divided spirits back together so we can all move forward together.

We all want the same thing....we merely have some differences on how to bring that about.

The use of codewords such as... "every vote didn't count"..."we need to continue the fight (against the Forces of Darkness)"...and an inference that poor and minority people were excluded from the polls...

...if that ain't divisive and hate mongering, I don't know what is.

Some folks would do well to stand back and listen to themselves:

I thought Bill Clinton had the morality of a goat, and disliked him personally. But I certainly shook his hand in welcome when I had the opportunity and didn't mind working for him at all. He had policies and made decisions I strongly disagreed with, but on balance he was a rational centrist who made good decisions. I might criticize his personal conduct and work against him politically, but to blindly rail at him in bitter hatred would have accomplished nothing.

Edited to add that the Bush speech hit the mark exactly...even CNN liked it.

[ 11-03-2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Bob Smalser ]

Paul H
11-03-2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.tech-sol.net/humor/democratic_seal.jpg

[ 11-03-2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Paul H ]

High C
11-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Wow, I gotta hear this for myself, but haven't been able to find it yet. Anybody have a link to a vid of Edwards' speech?

Keith Wilson
11-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Kerry's speech in full, from the BBC. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3980533.stm)

I can't find a transcript of Edwards' speech. It was IMO very ordinary and not particularly controversial. I certainly didn't hear any accusations of "every vote wasn't counted" or intimidation of voters. In fact, he didn't talk about Republicans at all, just that he and Kerry and the Democrats would keep "fighting" for a long list of things. No big deal.

[ 11-03-2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Keith Wilson ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-03-2004, 06:37 PM
A gracious speech. Thanking all who worked for his election and all who voted - whoever their candidate. Nice to hear. I'm surprised you would recognize "gracious" KM Gresham, after all of the impolite ungracious comments you have made about both Senator Kerry and his supporters over the past several months ;)

km gresham
11-03-2004, 06:43 PM
I didn't hear Edward's speech. Kerry's was gracious and encouraging to those who had worked so hard to elect him. I understand the disappointment there - remember clinton was elected - Twice. ;)

[ 11-03-2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

htom
11-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Kerry's concession speech was excellent; if that Kerry had been speaking on the campaign trail Bush might well have lost.

Bush's victory speech wasn't as good, but it was better than most Bush speechifying.