PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite author

jwaldin
11-09-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm sure this topic has been posted already but another topic has promted me to start this one with a differnt slant.
Nevil Shute wrote some wonderful books. Some of my favorites are: Pied Piper,A Town Like Alice (The Legacy), In The Wet, Trustee From The Toolroom, The Far Country.
My favorite author is Joseph Conrad. Some of my favorites: The Shadow Line, The Arrow of Gold, An Outcast Of The Islands.
Does anyone who has read these authors have any suggestions for authors who sort of fit in with them? I think you have to read these authors to know what I mean about there classic writing style. Not the same but from another era.

uncas
11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
The Heart of Darkness!

uncas
11-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Second choice...Lord Jim
3rd choice Moby Dick
4th Two years before the Mast
The Riddle of the Sands
How far do you want me to go? :D

jwaldin
11-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Conrad was a genius. Heart Of Darkness is an amazing book.
So do you have an author to recommend?

jwaldin
11-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Never read Childers but I will now.
Ever read any of William F. Buckleys books about sailing across the Atlantic with his buddies and his son? He did it every year for some time. No politics just excellent brilliant writing about the actual voyages.
They did it in style------lots of good food, scotch and cigars but when the weather hit they reacted like real sailors.

uncas
11-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I think you will like Childers.
I have sailed over there and believe me...it was a real reality check! :D

uncas
11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
I'll tell you what. I will read Buckley if you read Childers. Can't go wrong with that as we both win! :D

uncas
11-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Ps...add Billy budd to the list...I know it ain't a book but.
Mutiny on the Bounty ain't bad either...LIGHT reading
Also....a new book...by a friend of mine no less. All Brave Sailors...Easy to read history..Just came out. Author J. Revell Carr. :D

Joe (SoCal)
11-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Hemmingway
Dylan Thomas ........
.....and many many more :D

uncas
11-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Hemmingway yes...Under Milk Wood questionable. :D

LeeG
11-09-2004, 07:14 PM
haven't read fiction in awhile,,Robert Olen Butler was the last fiction writer who's books I bought.

Just got this book,,oh boy!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400063159/qid=1100045022/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/102-8409850-8387338?v=glance &s=books

[ 11-09-2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: LeeG ]

jwaldin
11-09-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm looking for 'hidden gems'.
Anyone read The Cruel Sea or The Compass Rose by N. Monserette[spelling?]
How about Allan Villiers books about the square rigged 'grain ships' that rounded the Horn.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-09-2004, 07:20 PM
"The Frontiersman", by Allan W. Eckert
The Public Library will have it. ;)

uncas
11-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Jwaldin! I knew Allen V. Read what he has written. He is a name that doesn't come up much. With my father being the director of Mystic Seaport for almost 20 years, I had a few opportunities others have not had. :D

jwaldin
11-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Sorry Lee but I have just spent a couple of years O.Ding on Politics/War/Iraq/America/REPS/LIBS.
I NEED A BREAK!!!!!!!! I want to read some good old fiction written by excellent ENTERTAINING writers.
I have turned off CNN and Mattews. I want Seinfeld and the Simpsons and Fraser. The Politicans can bloody well get on with it "I'M ON VACATION" FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS.

Ron Williamson
11-09-2004, 07:36 PM
jwaldin
Isn't "The Cruel Sea" about the Compass Rose?
It's a good read,BTW.
I'm still chewing on Lord Jim.I'm not sure I see the point,as I started it about a year ago.It keeps putting me to sleep.
Nevil Shute's Pied Piper was pretty good,as was Pastoral(I think that was Shute)
I liked Buckley's Atlantic High(IIRC) but the next one(Westerly,maybe) was pretty much a repeat,pleasant though.
R

uncas
11-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Jwaldin...gotta be at work for a couple of more years before I can take a vacation...The boat is ready thou so I am half way there. :D
I'm jealous as hell.
Want a crew member...I could perhaps fit in a cruise! ;)

Joe (SoCal)
11-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Jon Wilson ;)

uncas
11-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Ron...if memory serves Pastoral was another Shute Book...Ask the brits...names change. Got hooked on the Legacy which is also titled A Town Called Alice...same book.
I came back to the US after two years working in England. While there I read every Douglas Reeman book I could get my hands on...Once in the US, I thought I had found anther full series of Reeman books at the library. Turns out the American version of the same books had different titles.
Talkin about a bummer. :D

jwaldin
11-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks Ron. You are right. It's been years since I read the Cruel Sea and I confused the ships' name with the title.

LeeG
11-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Jwaldin,,,here's a good one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0802137989/qid=1100047605/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-8409850-8387338?v=glance&s =books

jwaldin
11-09-2004, 08:15 PM
I'll order it from the library and give it a try Lee. Thanks

brad9798
11-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Harper Lee
Sam Clemens
JD Salinger
Jack London

Stephen King ... yea, I said it!!!! redface.gif (think Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption

DH Lawrence ...

F. Scott Fitgerald

Herman Hesse

EA Poe

Joe (SoCal)
11-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Brad we have more in common than you would think ;)

Your choices would be my choices

John Bell
11-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Glancing over at my bookshelf, I see

Tom Robbins
Garrison Keillor
Randy Wayne White
Arthur Ransome
Patrick O'Brian
Barry Lopez
Lewis Grizzard
E. Annie Proulx
Philip C. Bolger
Tom Clancy
P.J. O'Rourke
Sam Watterson

No wonder I'm a mess!

Wild Wassa
11-09-2004, 09:06 PM
If you like 'heavy' like I view Joe Conrad as heavy, Frank Hardy and David Malouf will fit the bill.

When I was at school, reading some of the American Authors (above) was part of our set curriculum. Australian authors hardly got a look in those days, things have changed now.

Favourite author, John Blay, a modern day Australian explorer and author of 'Trek Through the Back Country' a true story about a 90 kilometre walk that took one year to do, 'A Dingo Ate My Hat', 'Tales from the Heart of the South East Forests', 'Cuttaggee', 'Part of the scenery'. These titles don't sound like much, ... until you start reading.

The 'Trek through the Back Country' is an unbelievable feat by a human. Climbing Everest is like a highway trip compared to where this man went ... hundreds of people have been on the summit of Everest if not thousands ... but there is only one John Blay and he does it all in my neighbourhood. That's probably why I like him.

I've enjoyed some of the writings of Sir Francis Chichester ... larger than life and twice as couragous.

Warren.

[ 11-09-2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Two Years before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana
.... A must read for all nautical folk.

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
by Mordecai Richler

.... A canadian author... great book

Captain James Cook
biography by Richard Hough

The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

....this was after he was killed at the falls ;)

uncas
11-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Who the hell is Samuel Clemmens...Mark Twain (1835-1910)? :D
Already listed Two Years Before the Mast!
The list goes on..keep it nautical! ;)

uncas
11-09-2004, 09:36 PM
O'Brien doesn't have the pizzazz of the Hornblower series. :D

uncas
11-09-2004, 09:37 PM
O'Brien doesn't have the pizzazz of the Hornblower series. :D

uncas
11-09-2004, 09:39 PM
S. King!
He scared the livin daylights out of me at college.! :D Only had the guts to read one of his books. Real life exposure was enough! ;)

uncas
11-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Harper Lee...was it the book or the movie!

Jack Heinlen
11-09-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't have a favorite. I'm rather taken at the moment by a history text written by commitee(shudders), that deals with the US, from 1500 through 1880. The language is precise, balanced, well considered. Only a primer, it does a commendable job. It would still be a good text for such a course of study today, even though it was printed in 1950, and half the graduating class would puzzle over many of the words. Great bibliographies.

Joseph Conrad ranks at the top of my novelist's shelf. Artful, deep, wondrous imagery, and a Pole to boot! English was a second or third language. Lord Jim, Heart of Darkness, The Secret Sharer, Nigger of the Narcissus, Typhoon. There's a winter chocked full of great reading.

[ 11-09-2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Okay... ANY of the Travis McGee series by John Macdonald... Travis lives on a houseboat called "The Busted Flush" ;) :cool:

The Boat who wouldn't float :D
By Farley Mowat

Godforsaken Sea
By Derek Lundy
...convinces you some sailors are not sane. :eek:

Midshipman Easy
By Frederick Marryat

Grey Seas Under
By Farley Mowat
... story of the Foundation Franklin, a steam powered ocean going salvage tug ;)

uncas
11-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Jack..the nail on the head...but I don't think Conrad considered himself to be Polish... :D

John B
11-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Love Monsarrat. His last book.. The Master mariner is well worth reading. Its a methusela/ flying dutchman type of book placing the principal character in famous times with famous men through from Drake to recent. He died before its second book was completed and it is draft at the finish.

Keith Wilson
11-09-2004, 11:53 PM
These must be favorites, since I have copies of almost everything they've ever written.

In no particular order:

Ursula K. LeGuin
Jorge Luis Borges
Primo Levi
J.R.R. Tolkein
Isabel Allende
Gariel Garcia Marquez
Rudyard Kipling
A. S. Byatt
Bruce Chatwin
Mario Vargas Llosa
Isak Dinisen
Patrick O'Brian
Peter Beagle
Orson Scott Card (awfully variable - from hack to genius, sometimes in the same book)
John Gardner (NOT the writer of potboilers, nor yet the boatbuilder, but the serious novelist)

I'm thinking of starting a group - "we were powerless over books and our shelves had become unmanageable."

TR
11-10-2004, 12:11 AM
No one mentioned Peter Matthiessen.

Far Tortuga may be the best sea tale ever.

Men's Lives is not bad either.

Tad

TimH
11-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Farley Mowatt :D

Jeff Robinson
11-10-2004, 01:26 AM
The killing Mr Watson series by Peter Matthiessen is pretty good - not sea stories but a lot of boat stuff. Eric Newby has been going strong for many years, recycling a bit now but of course but The Last Grain Race is a classic and his onshore books can be very funny. I always suggest Jonathon Raban - I loved Foreign Land, and Coasting. Both about sailing - you pick the one that is true for you!

JR

Joe Dupere
11-10-2004, 06:05 AM
I'm a reading addict. The kind that will read the back of the cereal box if nothing else is handy. I read probably three or four books a week. The authors I re-read the most are:

Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice
Shakespeare's comedies and sonnets
PG Wodehouse: Mr. Mulliner stories, Leave it to Psmith, and any of his golfing stories.
Tolkien: the trilogy and the Hobbit, but especially a couple of short stories, "Farmer Giles of Ham", and "Smith of Wooton Major"
Dennis McKiernan: Iron Tower Trilogy
Kipling: Stalky and Company
Lucy Maud Montgomery's short stories
and pretty much any Mark Twain.

Joe

uncas
11-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Captains Courageous
Life on the Mississippi
The Red Rover...Cooper
To Kill A Mockingbird
Chesapeake, Hawaii long but good!
Alaska same as above
King Rat
Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls etc.
The Scarlet Letter
Portrait of a Lady
The Yearling
Gone With the Wind...the book not the movie! :D
But still my favorite
The Riddle of the Sands. ;)

cs
11-10-2004, 07:09 AM
My favorite author has to be Alexander Dumas, you know the guy that wrote The Three Musketeers and [The Count of Monte Cristo[/i] (only my favorite book).

I also like Hemingway and Steinbeck.

Chad

uncas
11-10-2004, 07:13 AM
cs!
You wouldn't like the eastern shore of MD.
Hemmingway and Steinbeck books have been banned at the Talbot Co. Library! :mad:

huisjen
11-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Whenever something new comes out in paperback from Kim Stanley Robinson, I make a point of getting it. I even bought "The Years of Rice and Salt" in hardcover. I haven't been disappointed by him yet.

Dan

cs
11-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by uncas:
cs!
You wouldn't like the eastern shore of MD.
Hemmingway and Steinbeck books have been banned at the Talbot Co. Library! :mad: Say it ain't so. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The greatest book ever was written by Steinbeck and I would hate to see anyone denied the privalage of reading Of Mice and Men.

Chad

[ 11-10-2004, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

uncas
11-10-2004, 07:35 AM
You should see the list!
As far as Steinbeck is concerned...Grape of Wrath comes to mind..Can't remember whether Of Mice and Men was also listed..
The again, there was Shakespeare in the "S's" also banned.
I think Bambi was not listed....I'm sure PETA will do something about that...an ovesight :D

NormMessinger
11-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a bunch of eastern blue state effete reading lists to me. Gimme Zane Gray and Louis L'Amour any day.

uncas
11-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Normessinger!
I like Zane Gray. Read many of his books when I was a kid...A long time ago. Simple plots..Good guy, bad guy, beautiful woman on a ranch in trouble. Good guy saves the ranch, falls in love with the girl and rides off into the sunset with her slumped dreamily over the pommel.
Nothing wrong with that. :D

Mike Field
11-10-2004, 08:06 AM
Well, it's nice to see John Bell mentioned Arthur Ransome.

But no Compton Mackenzie? No John Buchan? No Morris West? No Hammond Innes? No Paul Gallico?

Ah well, I'd better not go on I suppose. But I reckon you've still got lots of reading to do, JW. smile.gif

imported_Dutch
11-10-2004, 08:15 AM
me

jwaldin
11-10-2004, 08:16 AM
CS Forester of course.
BERNARD CORNWELL!!!!!!! Not his historic books but his modern ones. In a couple of books his hero owns a marina and book repair yard. When it comes time to 'go get the bad guys' he climbs onto his beautiful Nautor Swan and takes off around the world. Fabulous read.
Arron Elkins is a great modern day author. The hero is a forenic pathoigist who solves crimes committed hundreds of years ago. He travels the world.

jwaldin
11-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Hey Dutch you are your favorite author. Are you also your favorite sex partner? :D
Hammond Innes is a great writer! If you like him try Bernard Cornwell and Clive Cussler.

brad9798
11-10-2004, 09:30 AM
jwaldin: ROTFLMAO! (pobre Dutch!)

Anyway, Joe (CSOH) ... you and I think a LOT alike ... that's why we but heads! I'm sure of it. smile.gif

uncas-Harpre Lee wrote a movie???? ;)

uncas
11-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Brad...sorry poor explanation... books written which were made into a movie...So many people go to movies these days....The Perfect Storm ex. and then think they've read the book. Last of the Mohegans, Gone With the Wind, The Yearling,The Caine Mutiny, Mutiny On The Bounty, To Kill A Mockingbird...although I loved the movie with G. Peck. :D Always thought Scout was someone I would have enjoyed meeting when she was older ( and I was a lot younger! ;) ...Would have been my kinda gal! Independent... :D

jwaldin
11-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Brad, what does ROTFLAMO mean??

DavesFlatsBoat
11-10-2004, 10:57 AM
PMJ - thanks for the J. D. MacDonald plug. I surely miss him & Travis.

If I missed him in the list - sorry - here's my plug for Dick Francis.

NormMessinger
11-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Dick Francis :rolleyes: . That son-of-a-gun made me run out of gas once. On long trips Phyllis would read his books to me to keep me from getting sleepy. Got so involved I clean forgot to watch the gas guage.

brad9798
11-10-2004, 11:53 AM
I knew what you meant, uncas, and I agree. It was a great movie too (love G. Peck), but man, that book, one that I've read roughly 10 times over the years) was NEAR PERFECT!!!

Yea, Scout was a great character ... what a little gal she was! :cool:

jwaldin- rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off-

What you said was VERY FUNNY to me!!! smile.gif

Joe Dupere
11-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
Sounds like a bunch of eastern blue state effete reading lists to me. Gimme Zane Gray and Louis L'Amour any day.You better be smilin' when you say that, hombre.
Or ah'll hafta smack you with my New York Times
Book Review!! :D

Joe

bamamick
11-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I like Patrick O'Brian. I also like Allen Appel, Alan Furst, Mark Helprin, Dudley Pope.

If I had to pick one book to carry to an island other than a Bible I think that I'd take 'A Soldier of the Great War' by Helprin. Kind of fairy-tale like, but an engrossing book (at least it engrossed me). I love to read. My house looks like a bookstore. Probably got a dozen full bookcases and every flat surface is covered.

Oh, yeah. I like Van Reid, too.

Mickey Lake

[ 11-11-2004, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: bamamick ]

JMAC
11-11-2004, 09:46 PM
My all time favorite book of the sea...Northern Lights by Desmond Holdridge. He full well admits when he was boneheaded, I can relate to that. And #1 book recently would be Pluche by Jean Dutourd. And then anything by Twain, most things by Paul Theroux,some things based on a cool looking jacket at the Library.And one pretty good one is the Bible,I forget who authored that.