PDA

View Full Version : Email....when deleted does it stay in the memory or is it erased?

Norske3
01-17-2006, 07:38 PM
If it stays.....must I go into the registry to dump?

jack grebe
01-17-2006, 07:38 PM
yup :D

Norske3
01-17-2006, 07:40 PM
I thought so...thanks. :rolleyes:

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Whether or not your deleted email is still recoverable depends on several factors.

If it came from an exchange or imap server, it could be recoverable and there's little you can do about it.

If it is in Outlook or Outlook Express, look for a "compact (or compress) database" feature. Deleted email will only be physically removed if that is done. (This is also generally true of other email programs that use a database to store messages.)

Some programs will automatically compress their databases on either shutdown or startup and thus remove any messages marked "deleted".

[ 01-17-2006, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 07:43 PM
"Compact Folders" will also remove deleted messages.

Norske3
01-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Thank you Meerkat...you have given me something to think about.....I want to CLEAN ALL THE CRAP!....SAVING NOTHING....FREE UP SOME MEMORY.

jack grebe
01-17-2006, 07:45 PM
what was so bad that you have to get it off the computer :D

Bruce Hooke
01-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I hope you are trying to free up hard drive space and not memory, because compacting your email file will not help with memory. It may gain you a little bit in hard drive space, but probably not a huge amount...

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 07:53 PM
If you're running low on disk space and want to free up space, you can delete the contents of your web browser's cache. This can free up a lot of disk space fast.

Norske3
01-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Yes Dave...running Very low on disk space...only 10% free.

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
If you happen to have more than one partition, it can help a lot to set your email and web browser storage to something other than drive C:. Windows depletes C: drive space all by itself. Another one of Microsoft's fine (in)security features and forced hardware upgrade policies. :rolleyes:

Norske3
01-17-2006, 08:18 PM
No other partition...can I still make one?....or is this getting into a deep explanation?...if so I can consult the Micro Store Experts...thanks for your support.

Oh Jack!....oooooooh Jack?....I have nothing to hide...from my wife....really. :D

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 08:28 PM
If you're running out of disk space, there's no place to create a new partition. Best solution is to add another hard drive, either internal or external.

If you do that, in future, don't allow installation programs to install to your C drive. It's a moderate PITA, but it's worth doiong to save space for the OS to gobble. It won't play nice if it can't gobble any more.

High C
01-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Norske3:
Yes Dave...running Very low on disk space...only 10% free.That's not enough. A disk that full will have various difficulties, slower performance, trouble defragging, problems copying CDs, DVDs, or other large files that require large temp files.

It's time to add a second drive, maybe a USB external, or a second internal.

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 10:30 PM
is there a distored echo in here? I think it's coming from a gator's belly! ;)

A 90% full drive won't defrag at all. No room left to shuffle things around.

High C
01-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
is there a distored echo in here?He wouldn't have believed it coming just from you.
tongue.gif ;)

Bruce Hooke
01-17-2006, 10:38 PM
It is maybe worth noting that a 60 GB disk drive (to pick an example) with 10% left, while not a good situation, is much less urgent than, say, a 6GB disk drive with 10% left.

On the other hand, with a relatively small disk drive you've got some sort of a chance that doing things like cleaning out the browser cache will help, whereas with a big drive only some serious shifting of files to, say, a new hard drive or a stack of CD's is likely to make any difference.

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by High C:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Meerkat:
is there a distored echo in here?He wouldn't have believed it coming just from you.
tongue.gif ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Riiiiight! :D

What did you say your day job was? tongue.gif

High C
01-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by High C:

What did you say your day job was? tongue.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Hit drum, get check. :D

(I do have a little side thing we won't get into ;) )

Meerkat
01-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by High C:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by High C:

What did you say your day job was? tongue.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Hit drum, get check. :D

(I do have a little side thing we won't get into ;) )</font>[/QUOTE]Coward! tongue.gif

Victor
01-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Like most PCs, yours is probably loaded with all sorts of unnecessary crap. Have you removed all unused programs from Add/Remove Programs? And then checked in Program Files for more? Have you gone to Documents and Settings/Default User/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files and cleaned that out? Have you set your History Folder for one day and cleaned that out? Compressing your email won't do much.

Time for another HD in any case. Good idea to keep as little on C as possible. Most programs will run just fine from another drive. You can also store unused program files there, including the OS. I periodically reformat my C drive and then reload whatever I need from D, or E, or F, or G. Only takes about a half-hour and keeps it running clean.

Lucky for me most of the "old" PCs that get thrown out are just buried under piles of unnecessary apps.

[ 01-18-2006, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Victor ]

cs
01-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Just to add a few thoughts for when and if you add another hard drive.

I will probably repeat some of what was said above, but it bears repeating.

Instal all new programs to the second drive. Also have your browser cache to the second drive. You can also set your swap file up to the second drive. Also look at setting your printer's spool directory to the second drive.

Also do a search for files larger than 1 meg and look at those files and see if some of them are junk and can be safely deleted. Sometimes .dmp files get created but not deleted and they can take up a lot of space.

Chad

Victor
01-18-2006, 07:45 AM
When you say browser cache do you mean the temp internet files folder?

cs
01-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Yes. With IE you can go into your settings and it allows you to point your temp internet files to a different location.

Chad

Victor
01-18-2006, 07:53 AM
How do you move your swap file?

cs
01-18-2006, 07:59 AM
If you right click on "My Computer" and go to properties, click on the "advanced" tab click on settings on "performance" and go to the "advanced" tab. There you will find a "Virtual Memory" option where it will give you the option of allocating where and how much hard disk space is used as a paging file. You will need to leave a portion on the C drive, but you can put the larger portion on the second drive.

Chad

be sure of what you are doing before taking my advice. I do this stuff to systems all the time, but than again I can be fearless when it comes to working on computers and this is not always a good thing.

[ 01-18-2006, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

High C
01-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Another space saver: Search for all temp files by typing *.*tmp in the File Name field of the search function. Be sure it is set to search the entire computer.

If you've never done this, it will likely find thousands of files of the .tmp file type. Some may be very large. It is always safe to delete a .tmp file.

Dump em!

Norske3
01-18-2006, 02:01 PM
THANKS ALL!! smile.gif ....An HIGH "CEE" ..you speak for MEE?

DAVID MEERKAT KNOWS HIS STUFF....THATS OBVIOUS TO ALL I'M SURE.

Hello Dave....how did you come up with that name?...."Meerkat"...or is it a family secret. smile.gif ....something to do with computers?

YES INDEED ...what my computer needs is a good LAXATIVE. :D

[ 01-18-2006, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Norske3 ]

High C
01-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Norske3:
....An HIGH "CEE" ..you speak for MEE?

DAVID MEERKAT KNOWS HIS STUFF....THATS OBVIOUS TO ALL I'M SURE....Ehhh, he's a little rusty. Some of his advice was sound, some, ehhh....

(I reserve the right to poke a stick in the Kitty's eye as necessary, all in good fun) ;)

Norske3
01-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the *.*tmp tip.... smile.gif ...have a good day.

Victor
01-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Also *.old and *.bak