PDA

View Full Version : secrecy in gov't

LeeG
04-10-2004, 01:12 PM
when does it make good policy, when does it ensure national security?
When does it work counter to good policy and national security?

ljb5
04-10-2004, 01:27 PM
From their writings, (e.g. The Federalist Papers) it is clear that the founding fathers considered tyranny of government to be at least as threatening, if not more threatening than foreign attack.

Their prescription was always less government secrecy. Clearly, this should not extend always to military operations. This is part of the reason why the government is considered separate from the military.

LeeG
04-10-2004, 02:53 PM
what brings the question to mind was a show on CSPAN with John Dean in a q&a with reporters. He was drawing parallels to the compartmentalization and a need-to-know basis that developed in Nixons administration over time and Bushes which started from that basis. There's an irony behind GW appeal as a straight talker with the Straussian influence in the neo-con movement where it's expected that an elite need to use deception to lead the country.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/031600023X/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/002-6674374-7027219?v=glance&s=books&vi=custom er-reviews

ljb5
04-10-2004, 03:37 PM
I don't really understand all that high-level philosophy.

Sounds to me like a bunch of fancy-talk for "trust us, we know what's best for you."

That's the type of Government Nannyism that conservatives pretend to oppose, except when they get to do it.

LeeG
04-10-2004, 04:32 PM
I don't think that behaviour is confined to any one political party,,it can be one of perception by someone so far from a particular profession that the expert doesn't see the need to bring the neophyte up to their level. But it is a likely defense mechanism of someone with responsiblity trying to divert attention.
Which dovetails well with a low voting populace.
"oh why bother,,they're looking out for us"

ljb5
04-10-2004, 04:41 PM
There's a difference between an expert not wanting to bring someone up to their level and secrecy.

George Roberts
04-10-2004, 06:55 PM
secrecy is always a bad policy, but it appears to be the policy that people use.