PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy



cs
04-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Now I've never had a reaction to this, but I don't want to take my chances.

Noticted that a big old tree in our yard is covered in poison ivy and it goes way up high.

What is the best way to get rid of this stuff?

Chad

John Bell
04-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Hire it out!

(I'm deathly allergic to the stuff...)

NormMessinger
04-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Chop it off at the base and keep spraying it with round up until it stops sprouting. You can't kill what's up in the tree without damaging the tree. Seems to me.

If expesed to the oils disrobe wash cloths in hot laundry soap and give yourself a good scrubbing in the shower ASAP.

Donn
04-22-2005, 01:55 PM
If you're sure it's PI, hire it out. If you must do it yourself, drill the thickest exposed vines, and treat it with pure, un-cut RoundUp. After the vine dies, pull it down, and bag it for trash.

When you're done working with it each time, wash everything with Tecnu, clothes, skin, etc..

htom
04-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Hire someone else to chop the poison ivy down, take it away, and wash the tree.

But I suspect that you, like I, would do it ourselves; here's a paper that outlines the problems and how to attack them: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/796_ivy.html

LeeG
04-22-2005, 01:57 PM
boy this should be fun. Poison oak gets me 10x worse than poison ivy. If it was poison oak I'd poison the stuff and let it decompose.

It would be nice to know ahead of time what your sensitivity is before committing to grabbing great quantities of the stuff. My brother didn't have any reactions to poison ivy and cleared a 40'x40' area of it. Then next year he walked through to clear a few pieces and turned into a rasberry.

Climbing into a tree to remove it sounds like a great way to find out how sensitive you are. If you knew you were only slightly sensitive then long sleeves and barrier creams sounds like a possibility.

If I grabbed a vine of poison oak or let it touch the inside of my arms I'd be guranteed a week and a half of oozing blisters before it stopped. Big, blistering, oozing, dripping crusting exposed blisters inviting every bacteria and pathogen to take up residence. It was the red line shooting up from the sore to my armpit that told the doctor it was time for a visit, that afternoon.

cs
04-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I've never had a reaction to poison ivy (knocking on wood as I type), but that is not to say that I couldn't develop a reaction.


Usually, people develop a sensitivity to poison ivy, oak or sumac only after several encounters with the plants, sometimes over many years. However, sensitivity may occur after only one exposure.

The cause of the rash, blisters, and infamous itch is urushiol (pronounced oo-roo-shee-ohl), a chemical in the sap of poison ivy, oak and sumac plants. Because urushiol is inside the plant, brushing against an intact plant will not cause a reaction. But undamaged plants are rare.Yep, I will do it myself rather than hire it out. I think I will try the Round-up method.


Ortho Poison Ivy Killer (active ingredient triclopyr), if used sparingly, will kill poison ivy but not trees it grows around, says Joseph Neal, Ph.D., associate professor of weed science, Cornell University. I will do this and not the wife and surely not the kid. Both of them have more sensative skin than me.

Chad

htom
04-22-2005, 03:16 PM
If you try that be sure to paint the Round Up on the plants, rather than spraying it.

Ken Hutchins
04-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Absolutely do not burn it, the smoke can get you and everyone in the neighborhood in the lungs, really bad.

cs
04-22-2005, 03:36 PM
I had read and heard that. From the same site listed above.


Never burn the plants. The urushiol can spread in the smoke and cause serious lung irritation.Chad

Victor
04-22-2005, 06:37 PM
I just got a very bad case from the mutt, who was frolicking in it the other day. Just cut it at the base, being sure to wear a mask, gloves and long sleeves, and then smear Tecnu all over yourself. It lies very shallow in the ground, you can pull most of it out.

Beowolf
04-22-2005, 07:00 PM
And I thought this was a post about the Alicia Milano film :( .

Jeff

Mrleft8
04-23-2005, 08:33 AM
If you can wait until autumn, when it goes dormant, you'll have a much better chance of not getting a reaction. If you do choose to cut and poison, wait until the leaves are completely dry and crispy before pulling it off the tree.

bamamick
04-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Apparently it does not bother me that much. It apparently DOES bother my wife a great deal. When we were clearing our land on the river she broke out in the water blisters all over her arms and neck. Quite horrible.

The doctor told us that you can even get some harm from the smoke if you are burning the stuff. Sounds odd, but I'm not going to chance it.

I grew up in the woods and have never had a problem with it at all, but if you even suspect for a moment that you could have a reaction like my wife's do not go near it. Pay someone to do it. It's not worth it.

Mickey Lake