PDA

View Full Version : A question for you Cape-Codders

rodcross
12-02-2002, 02:38 PM
A couple of years ago, I was on my way to a funeral in Falmouth, ran into no traffic, and arrived a couple of hours early.
I stopped at a breakfast place and read the paper. My recollection is it was the Cape Cod Times. It was a pretty shocking and mysterious story:

There was an article about someone buying an old house that had been owned by a woman who had dressed as a man, all of her life, and who was thought to have moved away and abandoned the house. The new buyers found her in the septic tank.

I don't know what town it was, or if the town was even on theCape.

Do any of you know if this was true? and, if so, was there any further reporting done on it?

Its hard to imagine she climbed in and closed the cover on herself.

Ian McColgin
12-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Women dressing as men (and visa versa) are not so odd on Cape, but I don't remember a body in the septic tank. My pals in the new biz don't remember such a thing either. There are some weeklies that manage to ressurect really old odd tales and I've a creeping memory of a story like yours from the mid 1800's with the body in the well.

There was the fishing boat a couple of years back where the mate killed his wife in the engin room and left her there, hoping no one would notice . . .

Further research will be persued.

adampet
12-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Rod,
She was a rich, eccentric dog fancier/breeder. I can't recall the whole story but it was off-Cape., and yes they did find her in her septic tank. She apparently dressed as a man for most of her life, and was known in the dog show world as a man. Of course that's nothing new around these parts. Let me do a little research and I'll find something.