PDA

View Full Version : Tall children.Anybody else have them?

Ron Williamson
04-10-2003, 07:28 AM
We measured my almost-ten-year-old daughter yesterday.She is officially five feet tall.My son who is seven,is taller than most kids a year older than him.We aren't particularly tall(SWMBO is 5'10",I'm 5'11"),and our ancestors weren't(6'2"at the top,with lots around 5'7"and a bunch who are 5'ish).
Pretty soon,the kids will be wearing our clothes.
What is going on?
R

skuthorp
04-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Two sets of tall twins amongst our tall friends. Girls. 13 but look 17. Bit of a problem for them really, they have a very confusing time of it for a few years. Why? Genetics and nutrition and --- growth hormones in meat? Maybe?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-10-2003, 07:47 AM
I'm 5'8", my wife is 5'2", our two sons, aged 1 year and 8 years, are both at the top of the "height" graphs in the tables in their medical record books (dished out by a helpful National Health Service).

Gresham CA
04-10-2003, 07:51 AM
My oldest son is 6'-2".

My middlest son is 6'-6".

My youngest son is 6'-2".

I'm 6'-5".

Wanna pay my grocery bill one time? PLEASE!!!!

Mrleft8
04-10-2003, 07:53 AM
Yer feeding 'em too much. Either that or a lack of light.... Ever notice how seedlings get real tall if they're not getting enough light?

John Bell
04-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Even at ages 6 and 4, it's apparent my kids are going to be tall. They already are much taller than their peers. I'm 6'2" and my bride is 5'9" plus, so it seems inevitable.

Hughman
04-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Darwinian adaptation in action: The need to see out of the windshield from their car seat.... ;)

[ 04-10-2003, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Hughman ]

km gresham
04-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Charles' kids ;) are really tall now, but when they were little they weren't any taller than the other kids their age.

I'm a shrimp in the house at 5'-5" smile.gif Hafta stand on a chair to whip em now.

mmd
04-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I got the same problem. My 12-y-o daughter is half-a-head taller than most of her peers, and way too mature lookin' for my peace of mind. She's got enough smarts that she's been advanced a grade in school, so she is now the youngest kid in her jr/sr high school, where she fits in comfortably with the 15-y-o kids. The Grade 10 boys are taking notice. :( Fortunately, its a small school in a rural community and my wife teaches there, so a weather eye can be kept pretty easily. smile.gif

Tar Devil
04-10-2003, 08:53 AM
I'm 5'7", wife is 5'7 1/2", and our 16 year old son is over 6 feet, size 15 shoe.

I just keep wondering where he came from...

Later,

Phil

gunnar I am
04-10-2003, 09:08 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p0c341073528741232ae84555ef8c23de/fc5c9ef1.jpg
From a George Booth cartoon :D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Hughman:
Darwinian adaptation in action: The need to see out of the windshield from their car seat.... ;) er, that's not Darwinian adaptation, unless the car crashes and kills the short people.

What you are describing is the Lamarckian Fallacy, named after Jean-Baptise Lamarck, (1744-1829) as espoused by Trofim Denisovitch Lysenko, (1898-1976) whose theories were enthusiastically adopted by Stalin and Mao, causing the greatest famines of the twentieth century.

John Bell
04-10-2003, 09:31 AM
mmd wrote:

My 12-y-o daughter is half-a-head taller than most of her peers, and way too mature lookin' for my peace of mind. Yeah, that's my fear with my daughter. She's tall, thin, blonde, and pretty. I pray every day her physical maturity will be delayed. We're doing everything we can to keep 'em little kids as long as we can. There's plenty of time to grow up.

Scott Rosen
04-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Tall or short--it's all a state of mind.

brad9798
04-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Playing basketball growing up, a lot folks would always exaggerate how tall they were. Judging by what other kids on my high school team told me they were, I am anywhere from 5'10" to 6'3" ...

For the record, I am 5'10" ... never understood the exaggeration thing with height.

Anyway, I have read that about 90% of kids will have an adult height of 2 times their height at age 2.

If so, my daughter will only be 5'2" ...

Joe (SoCal)
04-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Tess is gonna be tall. If that 2x at 2 years is any indication she should be 6ft. :eek: I'm 5-10 SWMBO's 5-8. But Tess is a monster she towers over all the kids in her class :rolleyes: And SOLID man I tell ya its a heft to lift her up stairs when she falls a sleep. She is not overweight she just is solid strong kid. We had my step sister over last year and she has 2 petite girls one a year younger and one a year older than Tess. I was blowing up a Coleman row boat for the pond and the girls wanted to help with the pump blowing it up. My sisters kids could hardly budge the pump. Then Tess took a swing at it she blew up all 4 baffels all I had to do was top them off. :eek:

Bruce G
04-10-2003, 10:35 AM
My wife and I do not have any children yet; however, this phenomenon has not gone unnoticed. We had done some research into the subject and found that many scientists are claiming that it could be all the hormones and antibiotics in our foods, especially our dairy and meats.

In order for farmers to have larger animals to go to marked they put hormones and antibiotics in the animals food. These agents are stored in the cows meat and also passed into the milk. Many parents such as my wife’s Brother and sister-in-law have spent a little extra so as to buy only natural foods. Their children look like their age.

We also have friends who’s daughter was beginning to ‘blossom’ at the age of nine?!!! Their doctor told them the same thing that my wife and I had found out. They had to go out and purchase only certain brands of food. The doctor was right, and now a year later she still looks like a little girl. Our friends are happy that their little girl will be a little girl a little longer.

Am I an advocate of only eating natural foods and such- no not particularly, but I have seen the results. On a side note, many doctors are claiming that the same antibiotics being fed to the cattle are also causing many bacterial infections to become resistant to the same antibiotics that would have killed them 5 years ago.

km gresham
04-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Time to lock those girls up, Daddies smile.gif Something happens to a man when his daughter is about 12 or 13 - he starts to remember when he was a young man, then he begins to give young men the evil eye when they get a bit too near his daughter (say within 100 feet). The real difficulty is that she is looking back at the boys and Daddy may as well be the wind.

Sorry, fellas, that's what makes the world go round ;)

I noticed that as my sisters and I became teens my father looked worried a lot and he went gray haired and he kept telling us to put on more clothes - no matter what we had on :D

[ 04-10-2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

Wild Dingo
04-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Well okay now a nice enjoyable subject! :cool:

Kids heights? tall? not a single one yet... Yaz at 19 is 5'7 1/2" while Melissa her twin is 5' 5 1/2" Tiff is 5'5" Aaron 5' 7" and likely to be a pretty hefty fella theres no way he has finished growing in either direction yet... Bethany is going to probably be the tallest as at 12 she is already 5' 7" and her feet are immense!! :eek: the rest are so far still under the 5' mark... but Jacinta at 11 is catching it as quick as a flash and has the possibility of being a tall one to... the little two are still squirts so they dont count! :D ...these measurements are taken against possumpoop who is 4'7" and me who is a lanky 5'6" :D

Tallest in either family is an uncle of possums who is 6'2" and her mum who is 5'10" while her dad is 5'7 and a bit... all my mob are under 5'8" and mostly 5' 6" or less... although we do have a predeliction to tubby out around the midsection which is a definant worry! :rolleyes:

I tend to think its more generic than tucker related... I mean we eat anything as long as its reletively fresh and get our milk from the dairy before its been processed eggs from the local free range chook farm etc etc... well actually Jos people are for the most part short wheel bases 5'8" being average with the odd skyscraper thrown in every second generation... while mine are more like 5'6" and the occasional mini minor tossed in occasionally just to show us all how damnably tall we are! :D

But hoons aint they just the greatest? mmmm?? Love em! :cool:

edited for the cross post with Karen... The twins turned into teens and were pretty cool no real worries but once they reached 17 I went WHITE!!... well first my eyebrows went white then my moustache then my beard and the sideboards sorta went silver I must admit Ive still got a bit of color left on top... but then Ive still got a few more girls to hit that shocking hateful age of 17 yet!... seems that till that 17 hits as dad I still had power!! but once there Im relegated out dated and mostly ignored or treated as the old phart in the corner... sigh... but the good part is! once they get to 18 its cool again!!... seriously 17 we have had troubles with all three girls whove hit that age... mostly to do with those totestorone infused raging hormonally charged male counterparts... and no I was a saint!! :D well okay then not quite! but that was a flamin long time ago and besides that was me!! and flamin eck the girls keep tellin me "but things is different now adays dadda"... sigh but it never changes.

[ 04-10-2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

km gresham
04-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Shane, I admire you - that's a nest full! By the time we had our 3rd I realized we had been outnumbered when we had the first one.

Then they started to grow - it was like something from Dr. Seuss - they grew and they grew and they grew! smile.gif Our tiny house is bursting at the seams, but they are wonderful! :D

I can tell you this, though. I won't miss the bickering when they move out! They do move out don't they?

Wild Dingo
04-10-2003, 11:05 AM
admire us???? ****e we didnt figure out what the bloody hell was causing all these flamin hoons till we got to Jacinta and by then well hey it was fun!! :D and practice made perfect eh?!! :cool:

Im with you on the moving out thing... we thought wed got the twins gone last year both moved out... by geez it was good to just have 6 hoons around nice and quiet... but then the silly buggars came back!!! :eek: and weve been telling them since to git!!... but theyre still here... oh Im guessin eventually they'll get fed up with bein around here as their "freedom" is pretty curtailed compared to living outside the family home I can tell you!

edit? spellin! :rolleyes:

[ 04-10-2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

km gresham
04-10-2003, 11:12 AM
LOL yep - John moved out twice and came back - he decided rules were better than rent :eek: Now What!!!

We have friends who moved out and left their grown kids in the old home - the kids wouldn't go - we're lookin into that :D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Pretty much with you on the organic food business. Certainly so far as things like eggs and butter are concerned, because my limited understanding suggests that the chemicals we are trying to avoid get concentrated in them. Meat is a bit more of a problem, but we don't eat much of it anyway. Yes it costs a bit more, but isn't food something worth spending on?

Wild Dingo
04-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Thats what Jos parents did!! :rolleyes: ... Jo and her sis and brother wouldnt leave home so they just packed up and moved east in a mobile home and bought a boat now they spend half the year up north in the Territory and the other down south :cool: ... left em to it they did and so there is the reason I had to move in and take good care of my possumpoop!!! ;) that and I was sick of payin rent! :D ...then of course we gots married then had the hoons and more hoons etc etc ;) ... ITS ALL THE FLAMIN INLAWS FAULT!! :eek:

km gresham
04-10-2003, 11:24 AM
:D

mmd
04-10-2003, 12:44 PM
My wife's parents did it the right way. She went off to university.

They moved.

They didn't tell her where. :D

Alan D. Hyde
04-10-2003, 02:10 PM
You put a colt on good pasture, and look what happens... :D :D :D

Alan

hoss
04-10-2003, 03:41 PM
You want tall, my oldest (20) won't even measure himself he's over 6'5" the baby (14) is way over 6 foot and well on his way to 6'6". The odd thing is my daughter she was scouted by all the area basketball teams when she was in elementary school as she was a track star and was very tall, then she stopped growing. She finished at "only" 5'9" which is shorter then her mother. (I was 6'5" but I've "settled" a few inches). What is really weird is the size of kids feet. I wear 13's and used to be able to get shoes cheap because they couldn't sell them, now it's the first size sold. My kids wear sizes 15, 14, and 13 (the poor girl). For a real laugh one should see my oldest drive my MGB, he looks over the windshield (or as he calls it the "bug deflector") he can't drive it with the top up.

NormMessinger
04-10-2003, 04:37 PM
I'm 5' 17" and have several tall uncles on my mothers side. One son is full grown the other is at best 5' 11-3/4", poor kid.

ken mcclure
04-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I'm 6'1". Older daughter 5'9", son 6'4". Younger daughter is short, but she's only 5. smile.gif Old wives' tale predicts that she'll be 5'8" or 5'9" though. (doubling the height when she was 2. or was that 3?)

J. Dillon
04-10-2003, 04:54 PM
My son is 6'4" My daughter is 6'2" I'm 6'3" down a half inch My oldest grandaughter is just 5' at the age of ten. :eek:

When I was a kid I was a shrimp but shot up when hitting the teen years. :rolleyes: Neither of my parents were tall.

JD

[ 04-10-2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: J. Dillon ]

seafox61
04-10-2003, 10:00 PM
A buddy of mine wrestled at 98 pounds throgh highschool ( state champian junior and senior years) and was about 5 foot 4 then he graduated and went on a mission at 19 years old first 6 months he grew from 5.4 to 6 foot . poor guy he was in alaska as the legs ans sleves got short their was the frost bite danger.

I do not have childern but I turned out around6 foot 2 the same height of maternal granmother. mom was 5.11

dad 5 foot 8 his folks around 5'6 grandpa and 5 foot grandmother. instresting thing is that most of the city kids of my generation came out around 5 foot 10 to 6 foot. on the other hand the paternal side the country cousans that did chores from a young age came out pretty skinny and 5'9 or 10' for the boys and 5 foot to 5 foor 4 for the gals. on the maternal side with the 6 foot 2 granmother ( circa 1910) my cousan boy is 6 foot 2 and pretty lean while his sisters are such tiny jewells at 5 foot 6.
maybe the secret is people today are not worked hard enough when young to keep them tiny?
jeffery

Ron Williamson
04-11-2003, 06:13 AM
At least we know they won't be alone at the top. smile.gif
Once when Laura was two(and still in diapers),a customer(with three daughters of his own) asked,"Is she...ahem...handicapped?"
"No,why do you ask?"
"Well,she seems delayed for a four-year-old."
"Bill,she's two."
"Wow."
R

km gresham
04-11-2003, 07:38 AM
My sister's 3 boys are tall, too. All over 6'4" and the youngest is 15. When he was small she was at the grocery store with him and someone asked asked him why he wasn't in school on a weekday. My sister explained that he was 3 years old :D

edited for punctuation :rolleyes:

[ 04-11-2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: km gresham ]